Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot Pepper from Cutting

Posted by ri_vintner (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 19, 10 at 13:31

It took 3 months, but I finally got my Bhut Jolokia to root from a cutting 2 of 4 rooted with the 4th still living but showing no roots yet

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot Pepper from Cutting

Congratulations! Can you please tell us some more about how you did it. Did you use rooting hormone?

I think it is great that this can be done to take advantage of a particularly strong or unusual specimen.

Otherwise I would think it would be easier and quicker to just plant a new seed.

o

Thanks, I built a homemade propagation machine using tote container, aquarium heater and bubble stones. no rooting hormone was used but the water has a plant starter fertilizer and a vitamin B1 additive. It works well for most plants. If I didn't break these off while I was transplanting them, I would have never tried it.

o

i've been propagating peppers from cuttings for a number of years now- it's more economical for some rarities such as the bhuts.

i use mouthwash cups (clear is best because you can see the roots when they form) filled with a mix of 90%vermiculite and 10% potting soil. poke a hole in the bottom of the cup for excess moisture to drain.

you can fit about 30 of them into a typical propagation tray with hood (hood is key- have to retain humidity for success)

choose a node an inch or so beneath the top, trim the leaves from the node and make your cut just beneath the node. use rooting hormone according to instructions...my preference is dip n gro but the olivia's products will do if you want organic.

place under fluorescent light with a long "day length" (even 24 hours is fine)- light that is too bright definitely hinders rooting.

peppers generally take between 10 days and 3 weeks to root. you will probably have to water once or twice during this period to keep the rooting medium moist.

o

AWESOME!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here