Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenman28

Pepper ID - small, skinny, red (pics!)

Howdy!

I finally received these hot little peppers from my brother's girlfriend's mom...! These peppers are about 1/4 the size of the peppers from the summer harvests, but the parent plants are still producing, down in Sacramento. Anyhow, I'm hoping these pics will be sufficient for an ID - I want to grow these peppers, and if I can't get viable seed from these pods, I'd like to know what variety to buy in the spring!

Thanks all,

Josh

Comments (7)

• User
    15 years ago

There are a lot of peppers that look like that. Any possibles to narrow it down?

john

• macheske
    15 years ago

Why not just save seeds?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Re: saving seeds
    Macheske, I guess I wasn't clear enough when I wrote:
    "I want to grow these peppers, and if I can't get viable seed from these pods, I'd like to know what variety to buy in the spring!"

I'm not going to eat any of these peppers (shown). I want to grow the pepper. These are purely for collecting seed. My posting concerns the variety of pepper in the images.

Fiedlermeister, I haven't any idea as to possible variety. I have included all the known information, which ain't much. I doubt it will help, but these peppers are used in Hmong cooking - for a dipping paste (cilantro, salt, MSG) called "pepper."

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Josh

Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I may be close to the answer - from the link below:

"Thai chili pepper - prig kee nu. This is also known as Birdseye, thai chile, Fresh Thai chile peppers and/or thai chile peppers.

These little peppers are about an inch long and very hot. Green ones are not ripe, and red are ripe, but you eat either one and mix them together for color."

Josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Thai Chili Pepper

• User
    15 years ago

Hey Josh

Even limiting it to that part of the world there are a lot that are similar and then there is pod variation within the variety. Very iffy identifying peppers by pod shape.My guess is that they will be similar for your needs. Here are a few I grew ( there are lots more)

Cili Burung--Malaysia

Thai Mound

Thailand Hot

Thai Kee Nu

Wild Lombok--Indonesia

• macheske
    15 years ago

They do look very similar to the thai peppers I grew last year. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of any ripe ones but I think you can see a few hundred green ones on this plant. I definitely found out that I only need one plant for next year. I couldn't keep up with picking with 5 plants.

Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, nice pics, both of you!
    Fiedlermeister, you're right, Thai Mound, Thai Hot, and Thai Kee Nu all share a very similar appearance...!

Macheske, that's a sea of green, alright!
    Next season, I'll take pictures of these plants (assuming the seed works out) to do a further comparison. I'll probably try and grow two or three plants, in case the gophers get one...

Thankfully, my brother's girlfriend is part of a twenty member family (not including close relations)...and Hmong festivities require a LOT of pepper. I'll be happy to share the harvest's bounty.

Thanks again for all the help.
    The pictures really narrowed it down.

Josh

Sponsored