Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bottledair

Where to purchase seeds

bottledair
10 years ago

Hello,
I am new to this site and pepper growing. I live in the Tampa area and have had some success growing various japs, bells, cubanelle. I am wanting to branch out try some others.

I once had a friend from Guyana who made the best hot sauce from peppers he grew (wiri wiri?). So, I am looking for some peppers that may have the same flavor profile.

Also, if anybody is from the tampa area is there a good source for seeds or peppers that I can buy?

Thanks

Comments (23)

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I'm in the tampa area. I can just give you seeds (though if you insist on giving me money, I won't complain too much). what seeds are you looking for? I have mostly superhots though.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have found an internet seller; Their main line is tomatoes but also have a fair selection of hot and sweet peppers. On the hot side, they have half a dozen or so superhots, like bhut, habanero(yellow, orange, red, white, chocolate), Jamaican, peter, bird chilli, Thai, Korean . The name is sample seed shop. Their prices are reasonable, about $1.50 a pack. I have made an order for some matoes and medium hot peppers.

• rdback
    10 years ago

I agree, Sample Seed is a great seed source. Remy does a fantastic job. She also has an eye for beans, so you might check those out if interested,

I haven't dealt with a company in Tampa, but I have purchased seeds from Pepper Gal in Fort Lauderdale in the past and would give them an excellent rating as well. Check them out at the link below.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Gal website

• jtight
    10 years ago

We are having a Seed Swap if you would like to participate in that. Some of our members have been gracious in donating extra seeds for those whom are new a/ would like seeds.

See thread called, "Holiday Seed Swap 2013" for all the information

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

I just ordered from Junglerain.....add the .com. I received seeds in about 11 days. They have an awesome variety.
    Hey rdback good to see you in here. I haven't seen you around in a while.

Tim

• bottledair
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the tips. I will check out the links.

Judo_and_peppers, I am looking for tobacco, a Habanero variety not sure which and something in the 7pot or ghost family. Being newbie to the peppers I do not have much for reference so, just trying to broaden my tastes and knowledge and fun.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

did you mean tabasco? if so I have all those things. message me.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I sure appreciate the generosity of the folks in this forum.
    But I am just looking for a few sweet-to-mild uncommon peppers. I already have some hot ones(Thai, Korean, Manzano, Habs, serrano). Right now my upper limit is HABS. haha

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

I love junglerain, also Old Barn is good, as is Wayland Chilies, peppergal,peppermania. just to name a few. I also buy a bunch of seeds from Tradewinds and totallytomato.
    Pam

• kypepperman
    10 years ago

old barn nursery is now Buckeye Pepper Company, good people,good selection and good prices. my choice

• kypepperman
    10 years ago

old barn nursery is now Buckeye Pepper Company, good people,good selection and good prices. my choice

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Yep and it's a bit frustrating. When I googled purple bhut old barn came up, you can place an order, but, if you search using old barn's search box it will take you to Buckeye and your cart is now empty. and you can't find it on buckeye. I emailed them a week ago but no response. I thought I read on their site that you can still place orders on both sites. seems silly not to at least have them mesh so you only have one order instead of 2.
    Pam

• rdback
    10 years ago

Sorry for hijacking your thread bottledair, but that's how we roll here lol.

Pam, I grew something called a Purple Bhut in 2012. See link below.

I think I have seeds for it. If you're interested, send me an e-mail and I'll check.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Purple Bhut thread

• bottledair
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No worries rdback. Lots of good info

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I love how this site facilitates networking. both with growers across the world, and now also across town.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

double post. gardenweb, I give you an F.

This post was edited by judo_and_peppers on Fri, Dec 6, 13 at 15:12

• willardb3
    10 years ago

There is a search function at the bottom of the opening page

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Vendor List

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Thank you Rick, that's very generous of you but I actually went ahead and bought some. I wasn't going to, I wasn't going to grow them again but a friend talked me into it. I'm such a sucker.

Pam

• jcav8ter
    10 years ago

Would love to get some Wiri-Wiri seeds, happy to trade what I have.

John

• rdback
    10 years ago

Was on a low-altitude cruise over the net yesterday and came across an old friend of GW website. For those looking to crack into the superhot market, he has put together a set of seeds called the "Guinness Collection". Great chance to acquire a nice variety for cheap. In fact, there's several "collections" to choose from. Give them a look.

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Midwest Chileheads website

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

Anybody else see Buckeye Peppers grow list on their FB page?
    That's a lot of peppers to grow. I see some really good ones on that list too.

I would guess it is still not as much as some of you here grow. LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: buckeyepepper grow list

• dac596
    10 years ago

WIRI WIRI aka PERI PERI, PIRI PIRI. Can be purchased at TOMATOBOBS.COM

• thundertoe
    10 years ago

rdback: i went and perused midwest chileheads on your recommendation, and i ordered a pack of peter peppers (haha) for $2.50, anf they threw in a pack of bhut jolokia and a pack of yellow 7 pod brain strains FOR FREE

i can't vouch for the germ rates yet, but 3 for 1? c'mon!

and i can tell they're fresh because the bhuts and 7 pods still have that smokey smell, if you know what i mean

so now, since my grow list apparently isn't massively out of control enough already, i plan to cop a pack of lemon drop and fatali (since only one of my Jepper Poe fatali seeds germinated) and whatever else they wanna toss in for free

anyway, thanks for the nod; they may be my new 'go-to' site

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA