Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtight

So that was hot

jtight
9 years ago

Picking Reapers to make some late season hot sauce. Decided to give a fresh pepper a lil taste test. DANN that was HOT. Felt like my tongue got into a fight w/ a wasp.

Comments (20)

• ozzy2001
    9 years ago

How big of a piece? I'm gonna grow some of those next year. I'm going to have to try a piece. Im definitely a little scared lol.

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

~ 1/8" wide x 1/2" long off the vein

• randy355
    9 years ago

They are great to cook with but after the first fresh taste test I learned my lesson.

• scgreenthumb1987
    9 years ago

I ate a whole one this year. Mouth burn was no where near what I was expecting. But that gut burn was insane.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

At over 2,000,000. SHU, even a tiny bit of it has the potential to sizzle you. hahah
    I have tried Habs ( maybe 200k potential). Even that was like a torture.

Seysonn

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Didn't you see the stinger on the end ;-)?

• ajdrew
    9 years ago

I treat the Carolina Reaper an other super hots as food additives more than food. A little goes a long way. With the Carolina Reaper, if you remove the seeds and pith, you remove a lot of that heat. Flush the inside with cold water goes even further. But none of that removes the underline flavor, which is kind of smokey fruitloops.

Essentially, removing a lot of the capsicum lets you use more without having your tongue fall out mouth. Yummy.

• ajdrew
    9 years ago

Forgot to mention: Carolina Reaper does real well with sweets like traditional bbq sauce, honey based things, jams, and the likes. I do not think they go well in a vinegar based hot sauce.

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Reapers rule.
    Fresh left, Dry on right.

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

I only save seed from the largest peppers true to form .
    Some reapers were variable so I only saved seed from the nicest pods.
    Ill have to see if it pays off next season, I do think size can be upped a little bit through selection and Im hoping any variation can be eliminated through good selection practices.

• brian6464
    9 years ago

Hey Johnnie, There are other ways to crank up your metabolism if you are running short of seed sorting energy! âº

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would prob die if I ate a whole one. There isn't enough milk a/ or ice cream to calm that burn. However, I do eat a piece of every type I grow each year.

Dave has 500 of everything. :)
    @ Dave - i have a similar theory as well about seed selection to pod growth. Am also wondering if there is any (potential) variance in growing seesa deom the cap vs. vein.

Scorpion John sent me some of his Congo mash. Co-worker thought it was salsa a/ dippes a chip in it before I could say, "Don't do that." Was funny shiz watching him try to drink the 5g water dispenser.

Johnny

• Andrew_Green
    9 years ago

jtight, about ice cream: You are not going to believe this. I didn't believe this. There is a homemade ice cream shop that sells Carolina Reaper ice cream.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carolina Reaper Ice Cream

• ozzy2001
    9 years ago

Yea while it may pain me to try at least a sliver of each pepper I try to grow I'm going to anyway. My father in law really likes spicy stuff. He ate a couple of The carribean Reds I grew last year while. Lol he just calmly said, "yep they're pretty hot" then just walked away. I'm anxious to see him try some of the supers.

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Adjusting yourself to high capsicum levels is a challenge for most people seeking the true flavor of super hot peppers. When you get past the heat every pepper has a distinct taste , some sweet at first Then comes the heat build, others instant blazing heat, some smokey some almost have a apricot taste others can give other fruity flavors you cant describe.

• obchili
    9 years ago

You mean there is flavor in these things? I guess i just had a bad batch. All my pods must have forgotten that part on the plants....ðÂÂÂ

• ajdrew
    9 years ago

On adjusting to high capsicum levels, I live with nerve damage / phantom pain from nerves that no longer exist. I have prescriptions that slow my nerves down so I can manage the pain. Now that I am taking them, I am really acclimated to capsicum.

Helps me to screw with people. They see me eating something and think, hey I want a bite. Sure, go right a head.

A.J. Drew

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Adjusting for pepper heat, I think is a long term process that might take decades and even generations. An average Hindu man/woman has done that even before birth in their mother's whom. I know this American lady who used to baby sit an East Indian infant. The mother of the infant provided the milk. So the baby sitting woman had to just to make the milk lukewarm before feeding the baby and had to taste it . She was telling us that the infants milk was too spicy for her.... Now that infant later starts eating table food. guess how spicy is going to be ?

So that is how a Hindu can eat most pepper without being overwhelmed by the heat. I , myself, am relatively adjusted. When I cook something that is hardly noticeable to me that is spicy, some other people call it HOT.

Seysonn

• Sam_thepepperman
    9 years ago

I tried a bit of one raw too. Hot isn't hardly the right word lol. Now I'm enjoying them "smoked, dried and ground" sprinkle it on whatever I'm eating that needs a little heat (or a lot of heat) lol. But yeah smoked hot peppers are my rave.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH