Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a winter harvest pic for the northerners

Posted by judo_and_peppers Tampa FL (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 13, 13 at 14:36

I figured I'd post this just to annoy the non-Floridian chiliheads on this forum.

here's a pic of a winter harvest, picked yesterday. I've been told not to be too alarmed if winter pods are smaller than their summer counterparts, so I'm not gonna worry that most the habs are less than half the size I'd expect them to be. the tabascos have been that small all year though. maybe it's a cross, maybe it's just because the plant was badly stunted.

this is just the beginning for the thai peppers though, there's 10x more pods on the plants currently ripening. and there were 6 more green brains on the plant, waiting to ripen. there woulda been 3 more brains to show in the pic, but I've been making fruit x pepper jam, and the brain strain is the best candidate for this, IMHO.

and yes, a white paper towel is always my backdrop for harvest pics. unlike some/most of you, my harvests are never big enough to need anything more than that.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a winter harvest pic for the northerners

I just picked another Devil's Tongue about 20 minutes ago.

Yup, it's 20F outside but in my little GH it's 60- can hardware wait to see what that gas bill is going to be...

o

let's see if I can type with my fingers instead of my knuckles

It should have read, I can hardly wait to see what this month's gas bill will be- and I meant that facetiously!

Pretty sure the bill is going to be what forces me to go out there and disconnect. It will be a sad day.

o

C.Lori, if you've managed to keep things going this long in Canada, you can hold your head high while you unplug the power! In Edmonton we've had snow on the ground since the start of November and have already seen nights as cold as -24F, with daytime highs as cold as -15F, a very cold start to winter! The outdoor stuff was over by the start of October here.

o

Not the greatest shot but you get the drift...

o

Upstate Ny here, more than a little jealous!

o

You can turn down the temp q bit and do just fine. 50F (vs. 60F) won't bother the plants, just slow them down a bit.

Dennis

o

Nice judo!

o

Having problems controlling the heat as the heater is oversized for the space. I had to choose between too little (10K btu) or too much (30K btu).

My hair stood on end this morning when I checked the temp in there - 82F- ran in and turned it down to the minimum.

This is a real learning curve for me. Wondering if the snow is helping to insulate those bottom edges.

Just don't know. Obviously I'm totally clueless and managing by the seat of my pants.

o

Judo, yes us northerners are jealous :-P, a decent enough variety for a December crop too. My peppers all taste like pickles and powder now :(

Lori, don't let the plants die when you unplug the power, overwinter your favorites to get a serious head start for next year, they'll be monster plants!!

Have fun all,

Steve

This post was edited by sjetski on Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 9:33

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here