Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rdback

pepper(s) that you will not grow again - 2013

rdback
10 years ago

Subject is kinda self-explanatory. This is actually a continuation from a 2012 thread, which I summarized below. I thought it would be interesting to see if there's any new additions to the list.

So, what say ye? What pepper(s) did you grow that won't be on your grow-again list? It doesn't have to be one you grew in 2013 either, just don't repeat your vote(s) from 2012.

Here's mine:

Hawaiian Sweet Hot - Sharp bite, almost vinegary, followed by medium/hot heat. No "sweet" at all. Strange tasting pepper.

Neopolitan - Not very prolific. Medium-thick flesh; fairly thick skin. No heat. Weak flavor.

Rick

2012 Results (Votes,Variety):

7 Bell
3 Bulgarian Carrot
3 Cayenne
2 Cherry
2 Jalapeno
1 Bolivian Rainbow
1 Lombardo
1 NuMex Twilight
1 Habanero
1 Kung Pao
1 Non-germinating
1 Wax

And here's who voted for what (in case you forgot):

Here is a link that might be useful: 2012 thread can be found here...

Comments (18)

• cheezdoodle12
    10 years ago

No Jalapeno or Cayenne for me this year. I'm trying Habanero and Hot Hungarian Wax this/next year..maybe some others once I go through my seeds to see what I have.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

No Cobra for me this year. Just never really used it, but it was one I wanted to grow out for the fun of it. Been there, done that. Time for a few new experiments this year.
    Bruce

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

serrano - not enough heat to be worth much, not all that tasty either, and my plant wasn't very prolific. fail all across the board.

orange hab - there are so many better tasting hab varieties. and I have seeds for all of them for next year. though it's by far my healthiest and most productive plant right now.

red bhut gets a half vote. I'm gonna keep one of my plants for next year, only because it's popular among others and I give stuff away. I just personally don't care for the flavor very much compared to some of the other superhots.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Never, never again CARMIN and any bell peppers.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Fish. It has failed miserably two years in a row while every single other pepper plant thrived. And by failed miserably I mean it has poor germination, weak seedlings, and plants which fail to grow much before reversing direction and drop leaves and eventually withering to nothing. It's too bad, I was quite curious about it since it originated in nearby Baltimore and was supposed to go well with seafood. Maybe it is because it is a varigated plant, or I don't know. But it just doesn't seem to have the will to live.

Wait, I take back the thing about every other pepper thriving. My second vote goes to de Arbol. It doesn't perform all that well either (but far outshines Fish since it lives long enough to give me a few peppers). My only use for it is to add some heat back to my jalapeno powder and the cayennes work fine for that plus are very prolific. The de Arbol was also given two years to prove itself and had the same poor performance each year. Maybe those two types just don't like my garden soil. Luckily the peppers I really like are wonderfully prolific or I might think it was me ;)

• User
    10 years ago

OK Rick, I'll give you a serious answer this year ;-)

Here's what's currently on my list of do no grow again:

Aji Limon (no citrus notes, low production)
    Biquinho / Pimenta de bico (seedy, unremarkable flavour, blunt heat)
    Catarina (seedy, flavour and heat OK but not enough to offset seeds)
    OZ (same reason as Catarina)
    Peppadew (very productive but boring flavour)
    Piment dâÂÂEspelette (similar to Bell flavour but smaller and less productive)
    Purple Serrano (boring heat and flavour wise)
    White Bullet Habanero (extremely productive and good heat but a pita to pick pods)
    Yellow Jelly Bean (seedy, no remarkable flavour)

Bill

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Black Cobra (supposedly, though looks more like a goat pepper) - has a soapy flavor

Cayenne

Cowhorn

Scorpion

Korean

Probably a bunch that I already know better than to try, but that wasn't the question...

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Here's my short list:

Peppadew
    Aji Limon
    NuMex Twilight

Tim

• jcav8ter
    10 years ago

For me Bolivian Rainbow. Very pretty plant if you want an ornamental. But, peppers are nothing special, have very little flesh and are full of seeds.

Disagree with a couple of the previous posts. The Fish is one of my favorites, good producer and a good pepper. Maybe they got some bad seeds.

John

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

I won't be growing the Monkey Face pepper again - low producer.

Josh

• spacetogrow
    10 years ago

I don't grow serrano because they spoil too quickly.

Jalapeno & Cayenne are too inexpensive at the store for me to bother.

On the other hand, Fish pepper plants did well for me.

• HotHabaneroLady
    10 years ago

I will not be growing my King Arthur or red knight bells again. But my only hot pepper crop was a group of about eight or ten orange habaneros. I'm growing at least that many next year and adding other varieties too!

Angie

• naturemitch
    10 years ago

Had some different results from those already posting.

Not growing again:
    Cajun Belle
    Peppers that have tiny fruit (except if I use them as ornamentals)
    Most bells

As for Fish. Try a different seed source Sunnibel. I've had some poor stock, i.e. little variegation, poor plants. Last year's plants were overall the best I have grown for Fish. Highly variegated, high production, and nice size on them.

Piment d' Esplette have not been too productive for me either. Not sure if they will be in containers for me next season or not.

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Well, perhaps it is the seed stock. But I didn't think this was a thread about telling other people what to plant or not again, just what we ourselves won't plant again. :) There's a few entries I plan on growing that others don't and that's ok.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

But I didn't think this was a thread about telling other people what to plant or not again, just what we ourselves won't plant again. :)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    That is correct, I think.
    Nobody is telling anybody else what to plant or not to plant. BUT when somebody has a nasty review about one of the thing, for example, I like, that may touch me in someway and I might feel that they are telling me not to grow that variety, which is not the case. Everybody voices his/her opinion and reasoning based on his/her experience and taste.

• Ohiofem 6a/5b Southwest Ohio
    10 years ago

Jimmy Nardello -- I know this is a favorite Italian frying pepper, and I love many others, but mine were way too seedy and gnarled (May have suffered from stink bug damage)

Cajun bell -- too variable in heat level. Some were searingly hot and others were dull as dirt, all on the same plant.

Chimayo -- I grew from three different seed sources and each one was very different in size, appearance and taste. Even the ones from Native Seeds were tiny and nothing like what I expected.

• Slade122
    10 years ago

Burpee Carnival Bell Mix - Giving them one last shot this year. Lots of varieties in one packet, seeds sprout well, even in cooler conditions, good germination rate.. However, the fruit was always tiny and very thin walled. So tiny and thin walled in fact, that there was nearly no nutritional value to the pepper. It also lacked flavor that most bells are normally packed with, and had a very waxy, firm exterior. I won't be buying another packet of Burpee Carnival Bells.

• ronnyb123
    10 years ago

Hi guys... Im a newbe but I have been growing for a while. I always read these blogs. Good stuff here.
    Here is what I wouldn't regrow next year:

Big Jim- no taste and not that hot
    All bell Peppers
    Orange and RED Habaneros- Got a lot out of these but started getting into the hotter chilis.
    Thai Chilis (or those in this category)
    Cabe Merah- Indonesian red chili
    Barkers Mexican hot
    Big Sun- Plants looked great but only got 1 chili... 1 good seed.
    Purple and yellow Cayanne - orange is good though, may keep these.
    Sweet banana
    Aji Crystal: good but need the space for new stuff
    Black Hungarian
    Jalapenos: Colaro, Red, Santa Fe etc ( maybe regrow the purple) I like the taste.
    Tobango seasoning... not 1 pod
    Wild Brazil.. alot of pods but not too tasty. Small.
    And whatever else dies may not be replaced.

Thanks guys

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 17:22

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County