Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagation Heat Mats

Posted by sandhill_farms 10 NV (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 30, 10 at 15:45

I have a number of pepper plants that I need to get started and want to buy a heat mat. Do any of you have suggestions on a good online store that would have a quality mat that wouldn't break the bank? Thanks!

Greg
Southern Nevada

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagation Heat Mats

I have another thought on my above post. I can control the temperature and humidity in the room where I'm starting my seeds so my question would be: would I even need a heat mat?

Greg
Southern Nevada

o

Peppers sprout best for me at between 80 and 88 degrees.
Kind of expensive to heat a whole room rather than a couple seed trays isn't it?

I paid $30. total inclding TX. for a hydofarm seed germinator lit.
It has a heat mat and 72 dell tray (cover etc.

Nevada,I don't think has sales tax so subtract 9%.
That was at a Nursery so Wally world or a discount store might be cheeper.
Thermostat was an extra $30. +/-.

I also put my mat on a foam tray so it heats the cells not the counter.

o

Thank you for your response and the pictures, smokemaster. Actually it costs me very little to keep this room at 80 degrees, it's always at that temperature. I have other plants in here with lighting that helps keep it warm. I also have a "Heatdish" space heater in here that very seldom turns on. I keep all of my soils in here so everything stays fairly warm.

Greg
Southern Nevada

o

Smokemaster, I see you have your heat mat on top of your bed. Does it double as an electric blanket on cold winter nights?

o

Nope,The pooch pre heats the bed. LOL
That blanket is hers-keeps what is under it from getting too much dog hair on it...
See her squeeker(tweety bird) and pillow in the one picture?

o

I use two old waterbed heaters that I got on Craigslist for 10 dollars each. I lay them on top of aluminum coated insulation that I had leftover from an insulation project in my camping trailer. Those heaters have thermostats on them. Very easy to use! Plus they're longer than ones you buy out of catalogs.

o

Mini Christmas lights work great. I use them in the bottom on my grow box to heat an entire cabinet where I start my seeds. 4 strands of 100 count blue mini christmas lights and my grow cabinet stays 82 degrees give or take a few degrees. This year I am going to try and use the christmas lights directly under the tray instead of heating an entire cabinet. I think they will be more efficient directly under the tray. Best thing about using the mini lights is that just about everyone has some laying around the house or garage and they are way cheaper than heat mats.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pepper Guy's Garden

o

Before I had a heat mat I used a box of sand with a rope light buried in it.
I used a $2.00 rope light(after christmas sale) that was way too long,20-30ft.

Had to make a box that held a couple 72 cell starters or it got too hot.

http://www.gardengra...ttomHeater.html

without sand using a rope light.
Looks less of a hassle.

http://doorgarden.co...t-seed-starting

Some use the heat tape that keepss pipes from freezing in the winter too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here