Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistyreiny

market research

mistyreiny
10 years ago

My new interest from the coma is growing large, rare, and exotic plants. because of the difficulty of getting and the long term of a corpse flower. i settled on growing extremely hot peppers. I have ghost and scorpion now among milder varieties. i did notice one thing though, when i was trying to buy hot pepper seeds. i could find only one hot pepper seed variety that did not have ghost nor scorpion, why buy what i already have? I'm curious, I'm posting on here to see what feasible demand i can look forwards to. i thought of hosting a website where you can make your own packs of seeds. that way, you get exactly what you want, and none of what you don't. also my major, senior in college, is in ece, electrical and computer engineering. i thought of how to mesh the two, my plant interest with my major.I thought of producing a fully automated greenhouse system, water, temp, humidity, and air flow.however somebody has already done this, but their price is a ridiculous 100 to 500 per system. i can make and sell mine for under 100 each. I'm posting this to see if there is any potential interest in the custom seed packs or automation system. I'm also curious as to what seeds should i stock up on before my website goes live around the end of next year i hope.

Comments (8)

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Misty... i don't wanna be hard on you, but if your experience is limited to ghosts and scorpions. You better put off your opening of the web site another 10 years. Ghosts and Scorpions are great peppers, but they are the classics these days. Kinda like the old Van Halen with David lee Roth. LOL

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

there are lots of people selling these seeds. good luck. you won't see any interest in buying seeds on here, we give each other seeds for free (I've received at least 50 varieties for free this year), so you won't learn much about your market potential on here, nobody here buys seeds.

• mistyreiny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, thanks. In that case I'll look elsewhere.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Misty - all though, i don't you will sell much on most forums, you couldn't find a better place to do your research and learn. I am sure most people here would be glad to answer any questions you have and try to help you out. Be a little more specific with your questions. I am not sure what it ia you are asking

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Oh Judo... be careful what you say, "nobody here buys seeds." I purchase a lot of seeds every year. Mostly cos I sell plants at the herb festivals and I would never try to mooch seeds off of people (well, except john... but that's his own fault ;-)) when I will be selling the plants (and usually need a bunch of seeds).
    Pam

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Last time I bought seeds...hmmmm, well my buddy ordered Bhut Jolokia, and we ended up with Caribbean Red Habanero. So that was that. I hope to never buy another seed. The way I see it - if you're going to roll the dice whether purchasing from a *reputable* (ha!) seed-seller or not, why not just trade with friends?

Josh

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

Thank you for sharing your idea with us. We always welcome people and are willing to express what we feel would be benefical to your business scheme. Automated systems always interest some people but not others. Not everyone wants automated systems but then some do.

As for the seeds for purchase, once again you would have some people who would be interested but as stated here the gardeners on this site are so friendly that they share their seeds and there is little need to purchase any unless you really had something new and exotic. If you are offering seeds for other rare and exotic plants such as different vegetables or exotic flowers that are rare and hard to find you would have a larger market base to work with.

If we can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to ask questions. Linda

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

Pam, I stand corrected. some of us do buy seeds. but why not just grow a few plants to maturity, and keep the seeds from those for next season's seedlings? 2 productive plants can produce an army of seedlings. heck, 10 pods can produce hundreds of seedlings, depending on the variety.

also, to the OP: I didn't mean to come off sounding dismissive. your question was unclear. the automated system could be interesting, depending on your setup. please do give more info.

This post was edited by judo_and_peppers on Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 8:45

Sponsored