Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (9)

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will be making some sauce soon. Will post some results when complete.

• SoCarRob (Zone 7)
    9 years ago

That's a pepper jungle!

• TNKS
    9 years ago

hope this reaper fad plays out real soon
    better flavor, yields and grow times are out there
    Currie's day in the shade is closing fast

• randy355
    9 years ago

No matter how you feel about the man's pepper you must admire his marketing skills and the attention it has brought the hobby.
    From what I understand the development was for medical intent a home remedy to assist people with weak hearts. In the end it brought so much attention it will help people like the forum member trying to sell a new hot sauce a better chance for success. With a name like Reaper and a pepper that looks like it's flipping you off I think it will be around a long while

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Speaking of flipping you off.... :-)

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From last season....

• TNKS
    9 years ago

Pound fer pound the nickle size pods of a reaper arent worth the grow space.
    Far to many other "STABLE" strains to work with that will produce superior fruit yields(mass)
    If its heat your after,look for it!!
    Bubblegum,Brain strains and Primo are trumping HUGE HEAT
    and huge pods
    Reaper is a short lived fad,the hobby press's forward

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You might be right on the Fad thing. But I can tell you that the reaper plants I had last season out produced everything else I had with the exception of the Moruga Scorpions and they were truely about equal.

My Fatalis were good producers but not stable as 1/2 of them turned out yellow not red as the parent fruit was. They are also very perishable compared to most other super hots. The 7-pots I had produced beautiful pods but were the least productive of everything I had. The ghosts were consistant producers, but that variety IMO may not be fully stable either, this years pods were more orange compared to the deep red last season (from a nursery not seeds from last year). So who knows?

I'm experimenting this year with only Reapers, to find out how stable they really are. I will definitely let all of us know. I'm not a promoter of any variety, just an avid grower.... :-)

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

The reapers I grew last year were very productive. I also like the pepper itself - Will grow again- . Never saw an orange one and I would put Its stability at about 75% most unwanted variations were elongated but still bumpy with a tail . There were a few smooth and some without tails.
    It might be over promoted and there are lots of other peppers out there that I would prefer if I could only grow one type but Reapers are worth growing ,just ignore the hype and dont sign a waver to get seed.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus