Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salevene

Holes in Leaves (younger plant)

salevene
10 years ago

Hi All,

I planted this Peruvian Yellow Pepper a few weeks ago and its really starting to take off... even after a somewhat heavy rainy season (its been sunny the past few days and we only have about 1 week to go before the rain season ends).

However, I noticed recently something has been feeding off the leaves (see pics). Any ideas? Suggestions?

This is planted garden-style and there are definitely ants around. I also did see a cut worm once when I was transplanting it, and this past weekend I saw something hanging on the branch nearby of another pepper plant that resembled a slug (have no idea what this thing was).

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Comments (6)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Who knows. Without a pic of the slug-looking thing, we can't identify. Was it green?

Slugs, caterpillars, and earwigs are common leaf chewers of pepper plants.

My suggestion, without identification of pest, is to invest in some BT and possibly some Diatomaceous Earth and/or some slug pellets. I read somewhere recently that Sluggo PLUS also controls earwigs.

I, myself, try to create a diverse garden of beneficial predators by planting beneficial attracting flowering plants. I've been able to cut down on my pesticide usage tremendously by employing this tactic.

Research Integrated Pest Management(IPM).

Kevin

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I would think that it is some kind of environmental issue. If it were insect, it would have been wide spread. I think, so far, it is nothing to be concerned about.

• salevene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all - the slugs were white and if I see them again I'll take a pic. What is BT?

I'll monitor it for a few weeks and see how it goes. Unfortunately I'm out of the country and its tough to find all that stuff, but if it progresses, I'll grab it when I'm back in the states in a few months.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Bacillus thuringiensis K variant is a biological pesticide specifically for caterpillars -- totally organic and safe and available at any garden center(in U..S.) or online.

White??? Hmm. Sure they weren't cutworms or some type of grub or pupa?

Kevin

• rdback
    10 years ago

I'm not familiar with what slithers around Colombia, but in the U.S. there are a few typical culprits. If the leaf margins are eaten, look for crickets or grasshoppers. If there's holes IN the leaves, look for slugs or snails.Catapillers can do both, so always look for them as well.

I haven't experienced ants that EAT pepper plants. They usually just farm aphid honeydew. You may have leafcutters though, idk lol.

In your last pic, the damage to the closest leaf looks more like a tear to me. Wind damage maybe?

jm2c

Rick

This post was edited by rdback on Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 12:01

• salevene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Woohooman/rdback - I finally found them and was able to snap a few photos. I found them on the pepper plant that is doing very well and currently producing, but none of the leaves on this plant have holes. Also, the other younger ones have been growing quite well and I don't see any holes in the newer leaves.

The more I think about it, the more I realize it could be wind/environmental damage. During rainy season, there are some heavy downpours (almost hail like at time) and these leave were pretty fragile.

In any event, here are the slugs I found:

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm