Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winterizing peppers in central fl

Posted by genevaben central fl (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 18:18

I live in Geneva and have chili, cayenne, jalapeno, bell and banana peppers planted outside in raised beds - most of the leaves have turned yellow and are beginning to fall off. Any suggestions on what to do now? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winterizing peppers in central fl

Is it actually going down below freezing in central Florida?

If it is, and the leaves are falling off due to the cold, then odds are its already too late. The plants have already essentially died.

o
RE: winterizing peppers in central fl

Hello genevaben,

I live in Deltona between Sanford and Deland on I-4. Don't worry about the leaves yellowing and falling off. We never got to long of cold. I think the frost was between 4-6 am when we got hit. its minor they should come back. just make sure not to water for a bit and keep that soil to a light moist to dry for a bit or until the plant tells you it needs water. Even tho it's gonna rain tomorrow :/. but its all good just next time throw a blanket over them when it hits below 40 and take it off in the morning. Then they should survive the winter. next couple of days should be warm for them not to care about a quick frost bite.

Sorry about the night shots just took them. I tried to show the leaves that did fall off and the colors of the leaves.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here