Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
byron_gw

Turkish Pepper

byron
18 years ago

Has anyone heard of a chile from Turkey ??

10Q

Comments (18)

• john47_johnf
    18 years ago

here is a USDA list

JOHN

Here is a link that might be useful: peppers from Turkey

• nefer
    18 years ago

Cross Country lists Acri Sivri-Cayenne type but only medium heat.

• john47_johnf
    18 years ago

Sorry that link didn't work. try this one

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkey

• nefer
    18 years ago

I knew the USDA had some, but can anyone still get seeds from them. I thought they had quit sending them.

• Bob (Seattle, Zone 8a)
    18 years ago

There are several different peppers used here. Sivri is eaten fresh, it can be sweet or very hot. When you get it roasted alongside kebap, you just never know till you take a bite which it will be. But they do sell seeds differentiated by heat or lack thereof.

The two chili peppers most commonly used ground are Maraþ (a brilliant red one with a special smoky flavor) and isot, which is a specialty of Urfa. I'ts dark purplish red and has a unique flavor. I haven't seen seeds of these for sale, but I'm sure they are available easily in the southeast.

• byron
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK I guess my info source was incorrect, I see 100 species vs 1

thanks

• svalli
    18 years ago

I got a seed trade from Finland and it included a pepper from owner of a Turkish restaurant. It was named as Süs Biberi and the owner had told that the plant is quite compact and suitable for containers. I have not yet started any of the seeds, but my plan is to give it a try next season.

• sazji_yahoo_com
    18 years ago

Süs biberi means "ornamental pepper." If it's a small compact plant, it might just be one of the typical ornamental peppers; not necessarily something you want to eat.

• cmpman1974
    18 years ago

You looking for Aleppo pepper I assume?

Chris

• deanreedy
    18 years ago

I have a friend whose mom is coming from Turkey in april bringing me some "sivri biber" pepper seeds, supposed to be like Anaheim peppers, but better. Who knows what better means, looking forward to trying them out.

Dean

• UncleJohn
    18 years ago

I grew Aci Sivri (advertised as Turkish) last year. I was pleased with them; they were Cayenne type and dried nicely. After reading Sazji's post above I wish I had paid more attention to them fresh. The only fresh application I used them in was among several peppers in salsa.

I find the idea of direct/heirloom/friend/faimly imports very attractive when compared with buying them from seed companies (not that I have anything against seed companies, I love them!).

• shelbyguy
    18 years ago

pepper joe sells a turkish cayenne

• vera_eastern_wa
    16 years ago

I just sowed some of those today...Turkish Cayenne from Pepper Joe, however, I'm already prepared to have different looking peppers to arise from these seed!! Today I also started some left over Pepper Joe's Barney and the Bolivian which I haven't tried yet.
    Last year I started Pueblo, Barney and Golden Hab that came in that gift package for DH. The Barney were no where near the description and the Pueblo had a few plants that had fruits that grew upwards (like Thai Hot or bird peppers)while other's grew down and out. One was was variegated like a variegated pequin! Mind you both were quite hot and good flavored otherwise.
    Anyhoo was just doing a search to find opinions on the Turkish Cayenne and so I chimed in :D

• cmpman1974
    16 years ago

I haven't ordered from Pepper Joe, but I am stumped why so many people pay so much for a package of seeds from him. I've heard SO many stories of mixed-up seed and renaming.

Chris

• vera_eastern_wa
    15 years ago

Believe me I'll never do it again, but might as well grow them since I have the seed.

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

I received a variety of Turkish pepper seeds from a friend:
    Sera Demre - 8
    Corbaci(Sari sivri)
    Cetinel - 150
    Biber Kil Aci

The pictures on the packages all look like green cayenne peppers. Has anyone grown any of these?

I am looking forward to growing them next year.

thanks,

Dean

• Bobff
    11 years ago

Anyone have any Turkish Peppers seeds for trade ?

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

Trade for?
    PM me.