Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turkish Pepper

Posted by Byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 15, 05 at 20:17

Has anyone heard of a chile from Turkey ??

10Q

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turkish Pepper

here is a USDA list

JOHN

Here is a link that might be useful: peppers from Turkey

o

Cross Country lists Acri Sivri-Cayenne type but only medium heat.

o
RE: another try

Sorry that link didn't work. try this one

Here is a link that might be useful: Turkey

o

I knew the USDA had some, but can anyone still get seeds from them. I thought they had quit sending them.

o

There are several different peppers used here. Sivri is eaten fresh, it can be sweet or very hot. When you get it roasted alongside kebap, you just never know till you take a bite which it will be. But they do sell seeds differentiated by heat or lack thereof.

The two chili peppers most commonly used ground are Mara (a brilliant red one with a special smoky flavor) and isot, which is a specialty of Urfa. I'ts dark purplish red and has a unique flavor. I haven't seen seeds of these for sale, but I'm sure they are available easily in the southeast.

o

• Posted by Byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 16, 05 at 8:20

OK I guess my info source was incorrect, I see 100 species vs 1

thanks

o

I got a seed trade from Finland and it included a pepper from owner of a Turkish restaurant. It was named as Ss Biberi and the owner had told that the plant is quite compact and suitable for containers. I have not yet started any of the seeds, but my plan is to give it a try next season.

o

Ss biberi means "ornamental pepper." If it's a small compact plant, it might just be one of the typical ornamental peppers; not necessarily something you want to eat.

o

You looking for Aleppo pepper I assume?

Chris

o

I have a friend whose mom is coming from Turkey in april bringing me some "sivri biber" pepper seeds, supposed to be like Anaheim peppers, but better. Who knows what better means, looking forward to trying them out.

Dean

o

I grew Aci Sivri (advertised as Turkish) last year. I was pleased with them; they were Cayenne type and dried nicely. After reading Sazji's post above I wish I had paid more attention to them fresh. The only fresh application I used them in was among several peppers in salsa.

I find the idea of direct/heirloom/friend/faimly imports very attractive when compared with buying them from seed companies (not that I have anything against seed companies, I love them!).

o

pepper joe sells a turkish cayenne

o

I just sowed some of those today...Turkish Cayenne from Pepper Joe, however, I'm already prepared to have different looking peppers to arise from these seed!! Today I also started some left over Pepper Joe's Barney and the Bolivian which I haven't tried yet.
Last year I started Pueblo, Barney and Golden Hab that came in that gift package for DH. The Barney were no where near the description and the Pueblo had a few plants that had fruits that grew upwards (like Thai Hot or bird peppers)while other's grew down and out. One was was variegated like a variegated pequin! Mind you both were quite hot and good flavored otherwise.
Anyhoo was just doing a search to find opinions on the Turkish Cayenne and so I chimed in :D

o

I haven't ordered from Pepper Joe, but I am stumped why so many people pay so much for a package of seeds from him. I've heard SO many stories of mixed-up seed and renaming.

Chris

o

Believe me I'll never do it again, but might as well grow them since I have the seed.

o

I received a variety of Turkish pepper seeds from a friend:
Sera Demre - 8
Corbaci(Sari sivri)
Cetinel - 150
Biber Kil Aci

The pictures on the packages all look like green cayenne peppers. Has anyone grown any of these?

I am looking forward to growing them next year.

thanks,

Dean

o

Anyone have any Turkish Peppers seeds for trade ?

o

Trade for?
PM me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here