Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is attacking my seedlings?

Posted by pepperchuck none (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 20:24

Something seems to be snipping and munchin on the cotyledon of some of my seedlings. It's not damping off because it is happening right below the split and the leaves go missing (at least that's my understanding). I haven't caught the culprit yet either even though I check all throughout the day (lights on or off). Any ideas or advice would be awesome! (I'm going to post a pic on my next trip to the garage)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is attacking my seedlings?

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 21:39

Doesnt sound like Damping Off to me. Where are you located that you can start seedlings in the garage at this time of year?

o

I live in walking distance to the beach on the MS gulf coast. The warm water keeps us out of freezing temps like 99% of the time. Just a couple miles north dips in temps dramatically. With that, grow lights, and a heat pad I'm feeling pretty confident in a really early start (hell, I've got experimental Roma toms setting fruit in the green house right now), or I may be setting up for a huge disaster, either way, everyone will be kept up to date along the way :).

Here's that pic I was promising:

o

Mice?

o

Hmm... I haven't seen any droppings but also haven't been looking for them Good call, I'll have check in the morning. Thanks!

o

I know rats LOVE seedlings.
I dont know if you have any slugs/snails this time of the year.

o

I had that happening in my greenhouse a couple of years ago. I figured it was mice or crickets. Those were the only pests in there that I could find. I do know, when I killed the crickets (there were only two) it stopped.
Pam

o

No slugs or snails in the garage... I didn't see any mouse poo either... Whatever this little bugger is he's slick. But no new damage so that's good.

o

Have you got a clear plastic bag that you can use to build a little tent over them?

Maybe that would stop whatever monster is using your seedlings for salad.

o

I've got one of the greenhouse domes but I don't want to stop air circulation. It's only munched on a couple and I have another tray almost ready to transplant and hasn't chewed on any of them. It's been more of a mystery than a nuisance. Thank you again everyone for the input! I think I have a few sticky traps hanging around, I may see what I can catch :)

o

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 28, 13 at 16:38

You could try some tule fabric over the top of them if they are that small.
Bruce

o

What's a lot easier is - get thee to a dollar store and buy some of those little netted umbrella domes that most people put over food at picnics.
I'm using one of hose right now, covered in plastic as a cloche to stop the heat in the greenhouse from reaching my lettuce!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here