Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting seeds from frozen pods

Posted by robeb Kansas City area (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 20:33

I googled around about this, but found very little info.

In nature pods fall to the ground, freeze in winter, thaw in the spring and some of the seeds germinate to reproduce. I've had several springtime "volunteer" tomato plants that grew from fallen fruit at the end of the season.

So, as an experiment today I took a Bhut from the freezer, thawed it out and removed the seeds. I placed a few into moistened starter mix on the heat mat and left the rest out to dry. I plan to try to start the dry seeds in about a week or so.

Anyone here tried this before? Results?

This post was edited by robeb on Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 20:50

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting seeds from frozen pods

• Posted by esox07 4b Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 30, 12 at 23:31

Interesting experiment. I will be looking forward to hearing from you on how it turns out.
Bruce

o

It's worked for me before (though from a thicker-wall sweet pepper).

It's not ideal because moisture in the seed could ice up and break the coats harming the germplasm inside, but I've not only grown from seeds like this, but grown healthy plants.

I, too, dried mine before I started my seeds. It wasn't because of some method I was trying...it was because I was using the peppers for something else and I left the seeds out for a few days on a paper towel before giving them a run.

I planted 4 to a "cell" and though no cell had all 4 germinate, all sprouted multiple plants (which I pruned to 1). If I was going to do it again I'd probably use a paper towel starting method to better ensure I didn't end up with empty cells.

They all produced healthy/vigorous plants.

o

At the end of the 2011 season I uprooted one of my Kung Pao plants and laid it down next to my rose bush some peppers even though it was uprooted still ripened. So after the fall and winter passed in the 2012 season I seen what looked like pepper seedlings. I let them grow out on their own. They were tall and spindly and the fruit that set and ripened were tiny compared to the previous season. They were tiny but still very hot. So the seeds can survive the cold winter as they could probably survive a freezer, but why put them through it when it's not necessary. Unless its a temperature controlled long storage means.

Mark

o

I have some Butch T pods in the freezer. Whole pods, uncut, fresh off the plant, just in case I ever decided to try cooking with one.

I suppose I could try thawing one out next year and seeing if the seeds are viable just as a test, but I would highly doubt it. Couple months of being frozen solid, I would expect the moist seeds to have massive ice crystal damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here