Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturegirl_2007

germination times, temps, ????

I've been germinating various hot pepper seeds I collected this year. When I planted many seeds of one variety some sprouted in a short time, others did not sprout for another 2 or 3 weeks. (And who knows, maybe the others will still sprout even though they have been in the seed starting mix for a month.) Is this staggered germination common?

Some spent 4 or 5 days bent over with both "ends" in the soil before finally unfurling. Is that typical with hot peppers? I've only grown sweet peppers from seed before and they seemed to grow alot quicker. Or maybe my house is just colder now....although it is usually cool in March and April, too, when I start the sweets.

I'm thrilled that the saved seed is growing well, even if I think it is in slow motion. Thanks to all of you for inspiring me to give seed saving a try this year.

I thought this was just going to be a germination test, but I see some of you are starting your hot peppers now. Should I hang on to mine and transplant them?.....Give them as Christmas presents? :)

Comments (5)

Sponsored