Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nushelu

White ghost pepper taste

Mokinu
9 years ago

What do white ghost peppers taste like compared to other colors of ghost peppers?

Comments (26)

• obchili
    9 years ago

Taste, what is that? You mean I am also supposed to be trying to taste something while my mouth is on fire?

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Flowery for 1 second then the taste of milk hits your palett as you cry through the pain. LOL

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Ah, mant, that is scary, Ronny.

Now between this and Trinidad Scorpion Butch T(yellow), which one should I grow ? I got both of them.
    This will be my first super hot adventure. I am mostly in HAB territory. I also got your Red Squash. I like that one. 200k on SHU ?

Seysonn

• pepperchuck
    9 years ago

I would grow both :) BT is the obvious hotter. I liked the white bhut. They do have a slight floral flavor. The white color gives a false sence of "hey this isn't gonna be so hot." But that is a lie, don't trust your brain. The sauce I made from the white bhuts was pretty tasty. In the bottle the color is kinda funny (red is the most appetizing for me) so it ended up sitting until I put it into something else and only because of the color. As a plant, the white bhut was slow starting but ended the season being a major producer and I could add them to anything without altering color!
    My 2 cents
    -chuck

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Grow them both. Remember a little goes a long way. The scorpion has better flavor in my opinion but is hotter. I just cant get over the floral taste of Ghost but I like the heat.

Not sure I would give them 200,000, maybe more realistic like 50-100,000 from my own batch. All my estimates were based off a website which is why there is a between/to number but I suppose they could get that hot depending on the conditions. Every site gives you different numbers but I dont believe it gets that hot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mushroom

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 2:25

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I just learned that TMS has a mean heat rating of about 1,460,000 on shu scale.

Watch this video: a 12 year old boy and his brother eat Trinidad Moruga Scorpion LIVE. haha

Here is a link that might be useful: Don't do This at Home !!

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Seysonn,

If there is anything on my trade list you would rather grow than the Yellow Butch T, just let me know. Thats one that i plan on buying. John

• Edymnion
    9 years ago

To quote Ralph Wiggum: "It tastes like burning!"

They taste like pain. Unadulterated, soul scarring pain.

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

I have not seen a yellow hot pepper over maybe 600,000 SKU but have not tried the Butch T or the Yellow Primo and want to try both this year.
    I never expected Peach Ghosts to be as hot as they are ,WOW . I am considering White 7Pod or Nagas also. Its been really interesting the colors of different peppers becoming available. It gets harder every year deciding what new to try.White Congos really look cool.
    What is the hottest yellow?

• jtight
    9 years ago

It tastes like bitter white chocolate for about 2secs then goes bland as the heat kicks in.

I grew it this past year b/c of color anamoly; however, wasn't really that impreased w/ flavor output.

Johnny

• seysonn
    9 years ago

John,
    Do you want The Trinidad Scorpion Butch T(yellow)/
    You can have it. I might keep a few seeds and give you the rest.

On your list I saw couple of varieties that I like:

-- Red Fatalii
    -- Red Rocoto

Email me with your address.

Seysonn

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

pepperdave wrote: " I am considering White 7Pod or Nagas also."

Try pepperlover's White Naga. It's one of her new breeds. Very hot, but very good flavor. I can't quite express the taste because the heat kicked in so quickly, but it was tasty enough that I will be growing it to make smoked white powder with. Can't wait, planting seeds today! ;-)

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Seysonn, i emailed you... In general, i think most people perfer the taste of bhuts to scorpions

Pepperdave, Yellow Brain Strain is probally the hottest yellow i have tried. i don't know why but that in powder form kills me worse than 90% of the reds. not as hot but something in there makes me sneeze my ass off

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

I have seen the reviews of it and will grow some this year. The 7pod has a high ranking itself so I should probably try both.
    Im still in search of the hottest yellow , I love the flavor I put a tsp. in a small jar of Yellow Mustard and use it on every thing.
    Im thinking White Naga Mayo

• Mokinu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the descriptions of the taste, everyone. How does it compare with other colors of ghost peppers, though? Are they all the same?

• pepperchuck
    9 years ago

I've never done a side by side but I'd say that it has a similar, however, maybe a little less pronounced flavor. But at the end of the day, they're all hot, the flavor is almost just a fleeting side note. I don't find any of the bhuts to be too "chemically" as some of the scorpions can get.

But to put it out there, I'm on the 7 pot bandwagon this year and will be only growing the red and chocolate bhut.

Hope that helps in your search of an answer
    -chuck

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

"Im thinking White Naga Mayo"

I like the way you think! :-)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

John,
    Have not received your email.
    So I send you one and we will take it from there

Seysonn

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

seysonn,

I emailed you again. hard to tell if it will go through this time. Why do you hide your email anyway? GW email is not the most reliable.

Your seeds were mailed out today .

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

i might have to try the mayo tomorrow, i have white bhut powder. if nothing else, it will surprise the hell out of my co-workers...John

• seysonn
    9 years ago

John,

I am not hiding my email. Half dozen people already have sent me emails, with no problem. I am just using GW format.

I' ll wait for your mail and then get your address and send you the seeds you wanted.

Seysonn

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Seysonn,

I just wondered what benifit it is getting email through garden web? You're not the only one that does it that way.. I just wondered, cause mine is visable, and i don't seem to get much junkmail or spam..

i will try emailing you again, don't know why its not going through. Either way, You should get seeds tomorrow, so you will have my address

• Mokinu
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Does the White Ghost pepper ripen white or is it white before it's ripe?

• jtight
    8 years ago

White = Ripe

• Mokinu
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I've learned a little more about the topic since my last comment. Apparently, there's more than one kind of white ghost pepper. At least one particular kind ripens white and at least one doesn't (although that one is white before it gets completely ripe).