Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Next Year's Pepper Jelly

Posted by Elbourne 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 21:21

I had four jalapeno plants this year and they preformed nicely. The abundant harvest enabled my wife to make several very good batches of pepper jelly. We used the sure-jel recipe, substituting 100% jalapeno for the bell pepper mix recommendation.

We gave away pepper jelly for Christmas and served pepper jelly over cream cheese with crackers at several Holiday parties. Just about everyone loved it.

I plan on planting more jalapenos for next year. I would also like to plant some other pepper varieties. What would you recommend? I'm looking for something relatively prolific and that might give a different flavor to our pepper jelly offerings. What peppers would work good in jelly?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Next Year's Pepper Jelly

This year I made jelly with
1. Orange Hananero
2. Red Ghost
3. Scorpion

I also made a small batch (4jars) of a ghost/scorpion combo. HOT!!!Takes a lot of cream cheese to help w/ the heat.

o

We made some ghost pepper jelly too. Well, we tried. For some reason it didn't jell. Instead it hardened up. Without much jelly making experience, we assume we didn't time the boil right, or the fact that we didn't use enough pepper bulk. We just used about 6 peppers for the whole batch. I think we should have used both jalapenos and ghost peppers. We will try that next year.

How did you make yours?

btw,, we ran the hardened jelly in the microwave and poured the melted syrup over cream cheese. We just had to eat it fast before it hardened back up.

o

Here is how we made ours.

4 cups chopped jalapeno peppers,
1 cup cider vinegar
1 pkg. SURE-JELL
1/2 tsp. butter
5 cups sugar

Bring peppers, vinegar and sure jell to boil. Add butter to reduce foaming. Add sugar, return to boil and boil for 1 minute. Add a couple of drops of green food coloring for appearance. Ladle into sterilized canning jars. Screw on the lids and process in boiling water for 10 minutes.

I assume you could substitute just about any variaty of peppers, or combination of peppers to make 4 cups.

o

Below is my recipe/cooking strategy. You can vary to suit your taste.

Ingredients
2 cups of sliced peppers
1½ cups of apple cider vinegar
½ tbsp margarine
1 pouch of Certo
6 cups of sugar

Directions

Combine peppers, vinegar, margarine, a/ sugar
Bring to boil
Cook 3-4 mins
Stir in Pectin (Certo)
Boil add’l min (constantly skimming foam)
Add jelly to jars
Boil jar to seal for 3-4 mins

Place a/ let sit 3-5 days

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here