Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny red hot peppers used in Asian cuisines?

Posted by thisisme az9b (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 3, 07 at 21:22

This one has been frustrating me. A friend who once served in the Philippians told me about a tiny round red hot pepper that was very tasty and very, very hot. I have searched and searched and all I can find on the subject is "tiny hot peppers used in Asian cuisines." No site I have found has given a name to this hot pepper.

I have a Pequin plant on the way that produces fruit that looks right and sounds right and I have seen Tepins that look and sound right too but these are used is Spanish food not Asian food and I dont think either one is the Asian pepper I am looking for.

Can some of you pepper heads point me in the right direction and direct to a place where I can either get seeds or plants for this little tasty red pea size Asian ball of fire?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny red hot peppers used in Asian cuisines?

That really sounds like you're describing some kind of chiltepin. I can't really think of any small Asian chiles, except for chile japones...they're small, pointed, kinda oblong chiles, but not really round. They're pretty hot, similiar to a de arbol.

o

Another small, picante chile used in asian cuisine is the rat turd chile.

What you are describing sounds like a tepin.

Look under R on the attached link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rat Turd Chile

o

I grow Thai Hot Ornamental aka Thai Sun Pepper every year.

Here is a link that might be useful: check the first two pics at this link

o

There was just a big thread on this pepper and seeds are offered.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pepper/msg1101534532423.html?12

Here is a link that might be useful: pepper

o

I agree with Willard.

You are describing the inimitable rat turd pepper.

o

Thanks everyone you have all helped a lot and I had not been to those links before.

The best I can tell its either a Rat Turd or a Bird pepper so I will order seeds for both and give them a go.

o

• Posted by byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 5, 07 at 19:18

There is a Thai Bird thats used more times than not.

o

Rat Turd or Prig Kee Nuu is definately not round, it's skinny and hard to find in the U.S. The "Thai Chilies" in Asian Markets here are of different stock.

o
Sili Labuyo

The pepper you are more than likely referring to is : Sili Labuyo

http://www.marketmanila.com/archives/sili-chilli

if you read on the comments, apparently someone commented that this is also known as the thai hot pepper.

"By the way, here in the U.S. I bought my Siling Labuyo seeds from Seeds Savers Exchange. It costs $2.75 for 25 seeds and they are located in Iowa. Here is the web address: www.seedsavers.org. They call it "Thai Hot Pepper"."

Here is a link that might be useful: sili labuyo

o

The cayenne chili, the hot thai chili, and the kung pao chili, are rather similar (I am constantly getting them mixed up in my garden). They are all small thin red peppers ranging from about 1.5" to 4" in length. I really love the taste of these. They are hot, but not so hot you can't eat them in plenty if you like spicy foods, and the taste is really good, though I think the thai/kung pao taste is slightly richer. You can find seeds for them all over if you just do a google search.

PJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here