Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djoyofficial

Mystery pepper close-up

djoyofficial
9 years ago

I picked, sliced and ate one of the smaller peppers on my mystery plant today. They aren't overwhelming hot and the flavor can be tasted over the heat for quite a while.

Any guesses on what this is?

Here are some on the plant. They are twice as big as the little one I sliced up.

Thoughts?

dj

Comments (18)

• toolstack
    9 years ago

Hi,
    The picture of the whole peppers look like red Savina to me,
    But I hear they are really hot but tasty. I have never tried one but I'm planning on growing them next year.
    Randal

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a pic for scale. Like I said above the ones on the plant are twice the size.

dj

• ozzy2001
    9 years ago

Ya look like red savina or Carib red to me.

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would say its close to half the heat of the carib reds I grew. The flavor seemed a little sweeter too. They have very few seeds inside. Prob some random cross. The tag in the seedling pot said Trindad Moruga Scorp, which we know is not correct.

Pretty tasty so I will keep seeds and try to get more next year. Should make a nice flavor fill in some super hot sauce.

dj

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Doesn't look much like the savinas I grew. They looked like a smaller, smoother BJ. Nearly as hot, too.

They look a bit like a congo, but mine didn't have folds nearly that deep.

Dennis

• kentishman
    9 years ago

They look somewhat like the Rainforest I grew this year. They were sweet with almost no heat.

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

That looks like a strange accidental cross I had about 10 years ago in East Texas. I had a Mexibell, and a Gypsy pepper plant growing side by side. A friend of mine saved some seeds that came from the Gypsy peppers. They came out sweeter than the mexibells with the longish shape of the Gypsy, and the ripples of the Mexibell. Heat level was close to a pabloano with a very sweet red bell taste. That was one out of 16 plants. It could have just been a fluke from the hybrid genetics as well.

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

In hind site, that little sucker was quite a bit hotter than I gave it credit. Pun intended. Deceptive heat.

dj

• daveintexas
    9 years ago

From all the folding visible in the first 2 pics, it almost looks like a Caribbean Red Hab crossed with a 7 Pot?

I had a similar situation with a plant I'm growing now. It was grown-out from seed extracted from a (correct-looking) Naga Morish pod someone had sent me a while back. But when the plant finally started producing, the pods came out YELLOW! Heat & taste reminded me of a 7 Pot, and when I cut it open, it was the most tightly folded pod I have ever seen.

What kind of pepper was yours suppose to be?

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It was supposed to be Trinidad Moruga Scorp. Which could explain some of the comments. Maybe it retained some Trinidad traits but lost the scorpion. They seem to be turning a dark red in color. These are the slowest growing pepper I have, way slower than the bhut jolokia.

I will post more pictures later when the remaining pods mature. One of the pods just barely turned orange a couple days ago. They are bigger than most habs I have seen.

dj

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I picked a couple more tonight to make a sauce. A med and small sized one. Half way through slicing the med sized one up I sampled it and it was super hot! :-) blazing. They must be getting ripe, finally! Still not sure what it is.

{{gwi:2132220}}

{{gwi:2132221}}

Diced next too some diced green olive w pimiento
    {{gwi:2132222}}

dj

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

Djoy if it is a scorpion it could explain the slow grower part. I had quite a few pods that took forever to break color. Once they broke color they turned red quickly after that though.

My Bhut on the other hand broke color fast, and took a long time to make it to final color.

On the shape note. I have had one that has the classic profile, and shape with the stinger. A few others have the appearance of some of the stinger. All are the tear drop like shape with the ripples along the side.

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have been a bit of a lurker lately... Watching but not posting... Will be getting more active again soon..

I picked the last of these today. Here they are, 8 months or so after I planted, then re-planted.

I already have four seedlings started from it and they are by far the most needy seedlings I have. They require much more warmth than all of my others seedlings, including the bhuts.

{{gwi:2132223}}

{{gwi:2132224}}

I am excited for what's coming... I already have an early bird showing flower buds. Lol. Started it way to early. More on that in a new thread.

Love ya all! And appreciate every bit of advice.

dj

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

That is how my morugas looked.

Can't comment on taste because I won't eat anything hot.

• CanadianLori
    9 years ago

That is how my morugas looked.

Can't comment on taste because I won't eat anything hot.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Djoy: I'd guess scotch bonnet or some type of hab, but that's not why I'm posting. Never trust the heat level of pods picked late in the season. Winter pods are notorious for losing bunches of heat, if not all.

Kevin

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hear ya Kevin, the heat is pretty insane. Just licking the toothpick after fishing out the seeds makes ya sweat. The oil is thick and red. Might be a hab of sorts. I am excited to see what comes up next year. I think its a hab moruga cross?

I grew some bonnets, orange hab, Caribbean red last season. These are a little unique. cant put my finger on it. Amazing aroma! And deceptive heat.

dj

• roper2008
    9 years ago

I took a similar picture back in 2011. Yours looks more
    pointed than these red scotch bonnets I grew.

{{gwi:2132225}}

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling