Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daveintexas

2014 Holiday Seed Swap (Thread Five)

daveintexas
9 years ago

Continuation of Holiday Swap thread, from here.

Note: as Part 3 doesn't link back to previous parts, following are direct links to all the parts so far, this should be handy for people wanting to refer back to this later, like around this time next year ;) -

Part 5 (this thread)
Part 4
Part 3
Part 2
Part 1

Post receipt confirmations, thanks to Johnny, post-swap comments, etc.

This post was edited by daveintexas on Wed, Dec 24, 14 at 22:37

Comments (27)

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Dave, thanks. Merry Christmas to all my pepper friends. For God so loved the world....

Mary E.

• daveintexas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pepper Claus came Tuesday, Thanks Johnny!

Didn't get everything, but I got more than I expected! Over a third of my "Want Really Badly", and over half my other "Wants". Only 10 extra dupls, and over half of the seed packets were for things I had specifically requested! :) A few I would have liked if they had made it, but the only one somewhat disappointing was the one that I had marked [Top Priority], Pimenta de Neyde, which is something I have been wanting for quite some time now.

But I understand that a large # of people were competing for a VERY limited # of certain varieties of seeds, so I consider myself lucky to have done as well as I did! :)

I did get a lot of neat stuff I'm going to really enjoy growing, including some things I probably wouldn't have run into if it weren't for this Holiday Swap!

Thanks Again for all your hard work on this, Johnny!!!

Below is a new pic of a couple of ripe pods on that Peru one, for whoever got that one in the swap. ;)

*** Merry Christmas, Everybody! ***

• Pmb2005
    9 years ago

Merry Christmas Pepperheads! Thank you to everyone who grew, dried, sorted, packaged and sent the seeds that I am so thoroughly enjoying now and get the chance the to grow soon. Y'all are awesome!

• jtight
    9 years ago

Based on recent posts it appears that everyone has rec'd their seeds from the trade. For the most part it seems as if everyone is pleased with what they rec'd. I do see a few comments about "duplication a/or not getting something on their list....."

I wish I was able to give everyone a pack of everything rec'd or no duplicates; however, it's hard when -
    1. 87.14% of the varieties rec'd came with 20 or less packs
    2. 10 varieties rec'd = 23.78% of total population

The Post Swap exchange (threads) seem to be working for everyone who the above affected.

Good luck to everyone with their 2015 grow.

Johnny

• tahoe_dan
    9 years ago

I am overwhelmed with the package of seeds I received yesterday. This newbie will have his hands full this spring and summer. Thank you for letting me play. I look forward to collecting seeds and being a contributor next year.

• teevoo
    9 years ago

Thanks for hosting this Johnny! I imagine it was quite an undertaking to organize.

I haven't received anything yet, but my post office is sometimes really slow in getting things to my door... or sends it to the wrong address. Looking forward to when it turns up.

• TJP8
    9 years ago

Hey guys! Its been awhile since I was on the forums. Do you have any extra seeds? Im looking to try something new!
    Thanks!
    TJ

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    9 years ago

Johnyy, thanks again for doing this. I just planted 24 varieties today (2seeds of each of the 24 varieties to hopefully insure germination). I was amazed at the amount of varieties and only a minimum of duplicates. It was great to see who sent what and all the info on the tiny seed packets.

Where do you get those tiny ziplocks? I have bought the 1x4" ones before but never saw the 1x1" ziplocks ever. Perfect size for seeds.

Who is Kalie from Florida? She has the same exact handwriting as an ex-gf I had 20 years ago. Bizarre...

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Little ziplocks in many, many sizes are bought at Walmart for one dollar per hundred. They are located in the beading/craft notions section, when they are not out of stock. Check every trip and buy all of them.

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    9 years ago

I think Walmart was where I bought the 1x4" ziplocks years ago. I'll keep an eye out for the small 1x1" variety.

• jtight
    9 years ago

Amazon. I got 400, 100 each in 4 diff. colors, for $16 (includes shipping).

Johnny

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I haven't even had time to go through all the seeds from the swap, but I'm very happy, will have lots of seeds to try for a long time. DH asked if there were any special hot Texas chiles in there, I asked him what variety b/c Scorp sent me quite a few superhots even though I didn't ask for many from Pepper Claus ;-) He wants hot, I'll give him hot next year! As soon as he lets me take down the Christmas tree so I can set up my germination shelves & lights!

Edited to add: BIL asked tonight if we'd gotten the greenhouse up yet, I explained it was a high tunnel (unheated) so wouldn't put plastic on til March at earliest, but almost time to start pepper seeds, once we get the tree down. DH gave me the evil eye...

This post was edited by ajsmama on Sat, Dec 27, 14 at 22:24

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Santa finally dropped my seeds off today. He said the package had fallen out of his bag to the bottom of his sled and he didn't realize it until he was nearly back to the North Pole. He turned around and dropped it off this morning. He was nice enough to place it in my mailbox so he wouldn't have to wake anyone up coming down the chimney last night.

Bruce

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Bruce - glad you got them, you were so generous, I got several packets from you in the swap, I would hate to think that you didn't get any! Not that I'd be likely to have anything on your wishlist...

• kchd
    9 years ago

Just got home this evening from holiday travels to New Orleans. I was with my sister, TeganH1. She received her seed package while I was there. I was jealous... Incidentally, we tried some little bites of some fresh superhots sent to us from Scorpion.John. Hmmm... Tasty, and damn hot, but not unmanageable. The flavor of the brain strain was unexpected!

My package of seeds were waiting on me when I went to the mailbox tonight. I had duplicates, but I don't mind duplicates at all! I was a newbie anyway, with nothing to share. 98 packs of seeds and 50 different varieties. Incredible. Thank you to Johnny for your time & organizational skills. Thanks to all the pepperheads who donated seeds and made this happen!

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    9 years ago

I just got mine today (Canada)! Thank you very much - I haven't looked through the varieties I received yet, but I definitely see a nice, fat, exciting pile of seeds! Thanks a lot!

• SoCarRob (Zone 7)
    9 years ago

I started germinating a bunch of varieties on the 24th. As of this morning I have several seeds with "tails." It's gonna be a hot year!

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

8 of the 33 unique variations in my packet were color variations - essentially crosses and sports, unlikely to be stable. Let's discourage that next year.

No Reapers. Not that I requested them since I have a good source, but I figured that we'd be drowned in Reaper packets this year. How many did you get?

Also surprised at the packet count - 37. That's plenty and I got most of what I wanted (7 Pot Primo and Naga Viper!) but given the raw numbers I was digging in the envelope looking for the other 30. )G(

Anyway, great job Johnny! We appreciate your hard work and I'll plant a few in your honor this year.

Dennis

Merry Christmas all. And happy annometer rollover.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

People are doing a much better job of labeling their packets than in previous years, especially where the original seeds came from, and the year grown. Still got three or four with nothing but the variety name written on the envelope, but I suppose that will always happen.

Special mention for the generosity of peppers_galore and Dennis Masterson.

Dennis

• Sam_thepepperman
    9 years ago

A little late in getting my thanks out here. A big thanks to all who shared seeds!!!! Wow so many kinds and so many packs! Lol. I'm totally thrilled. Thank you Johnny for all the work you put into this!!! You're awesome! I'm thrilled with what you sent. Thank you, thank you! Happy New Year, and happy growing to all!

• duanem_
    9 years ago

Johnny, my seeds arrived 2 days ago with no little notes inside the envelope! Pepper Claus, Santa Chinense.. not sure who delivered them, but they'll be put to good use!

Thank you again for all your pain and sorting ⦠though was pleasantly surprised at how strongly I could smell the 'heat' from the seeds in the envelope!

With today being a day of new beginnings, it's a perfect day to get my growing list together, as it's about time to get those chinenses started.

Duane.

• daveintexas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@MsPeppaJo,

@sandysgardens -

When I first posted in this thread and listed the 18 varieties I had sent-in, I also mentioned that there were more things I had wanted to include, but that my plants got a late start producing this year.

The "varieties received" list didn't get updated that week due to the Thanksgiving Holiday, so I glanced at the Trade Lists of some participants that recently sent-in their seeds when I was putting my wants list together, to get an idea of what else might be included.

Well, I happened to notice two members had included in their GW Trade List "Wants", a rather unusual variety of pepper, one that was NOT included in the 400+ varieties in the Holiday Swap.

But one that I happened to be currently growing... :)

...and which even had a few baby pods growing on it at the time!...

Cajamarca!

I wanted to wait until after Pepper Claus, to give these pods a chance to grow, and ripen, and hopefully produce enough viable seeds to do this, before I made this offer.

Well, I now have a limited amount of freshly dried seeds in hand...

and I HATE for those two members to have to wait until the 2015 Holiday Swap, LOL! ;)

So sandysgardens and MsPeppaJo, YOU'VE GOT INCOMING SEEDS!

No SASBE necessary.

Just tell me where to send the seeds, and they're yours!

*** Merry Christmas! ***

-Dave-

BTW, pics of ripe pods are already in my Winter Grow Thread, a pic of them going through one of their pretty color changes can be seen below -

• EricaBraun
    9 years ago

Dave -- Beautiful peppers.

• sandysgardens
    9 years ago

Dave - Thanks for the GREAT offer!! I've sent you an email....

Sandy

• Kalie
    9 years ago

I have been in Nicaragua for the past few weeks and JUST now got to open my seed package.

I am so happy with everything that arrived. There are so many varieties that I haven't heard of before this swap. I have lots of room in my garden, so I will be one of those weird people that actually attempt to grow all of the varieties I have. Although it will make for an interesting indoor grow set-up come next week! :)

pkapeckopickldpepprz - Did you date my mom? I somehow inherited her handwriting. :P

Also, while in Nicaragua, I found two new pepper varieties that are completely unknown to me... but I will post photos once they get going and will include seeds in the swap next year.

Thank you so much Johnny!!!
    And thanks to everyone who contributed! This swap has been outstanding and one of the coolest community events I've ever participated in.

• daveintexas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Erica! BTW, E-MAIL reply sent ;)

Your Welcome, Sandy! Got it, will reply soon, Thanks!

Haven't heard anything from MsPeppaJo yet. GW Search seems to indicate she hasn't posted anything lately, has anyone seen here around here? I may need to send her a (direct) E-MAIL to let her know the good news!

> "Also, while in Nicaragua, I found two new pepper varieties that are completely
    > unknown to me."

@Kalie_Florida - What kinds are they?

Another Cajamarca color change for your viewing enjoyment -

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

bimp

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks