Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salevene

Healthy Plant loosing peppers/flowers

salevene
10 years ago

I've had this plant for about 4 months now and it finally started producing last month. It looks super healthy, but lately some of the flowers and peppers have turned yellow and either fallen off, or about to fall off.

Its been raining like crazy here with limited sun, so I'm thinking it could be getting too much water... but interested to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance

Comments (8)

• jtight
    10 years ago

Looks like Cayenne, correct?

Based on what you stated (weather-wise), I would agree that the plants are over saturated w/ water. They def. need to dryout some (e.g., SUN). As you know, too much water will kill a plant just like no water will.

Hopefully the ð will come out soon

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

Yes, you are beginning to get rot in the stems and that is from too much sun, overly wet roots and lack of sunshine to dry them out. That is one reason we plant in an almost no soil mixture here is Florida because sometimes it rains like crazy and then we have killer sun but as long as we have well draining planting mixture we can deal with almost anything other than hurricanes where things can blow anywhere. Good luck and you have a nice garden spot.

• salevene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all.

Yup, I believe its a cayenne pepper of some sort. Unfortunately the seed pack just said "Aji" (I am in Colombia).

As long as I can make it through rainy season (less than 2 weeks left), when the sun returns, will these problems correct themselves or they are irrepairable?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

To cope with the excess rain , you can do this:
    Kind of mound around the plants then cover with plastic, such that the rain water will be directed away from the plants. You can cover the plastic with mulch, not to heat the roots if/when the sun comes out. You can remove the plastic sheet when the rain season is over. With small plants, I make plastic hoops. Just to keep the rain out. Here by the Pacific Ocean, we have 6 months (or so) of rain season.But not very heavy rains. Mostly drizzles.

Here is an idea.

This post was edited by seysonn on Tue, Dec 3, 13 at 23:36

• chilliwin
    10 years ago

Info:

"Flower and Flower Bud Drop

Symptoms
    An abiotic disorder can cause flower buds, open flowers, and sometimes young pods to fall off growing pepper plants. In extreme cases, a plant may lose all its reproductive structures, including tiny flower buds, so that flowering cannot resume for several weeks or more.

Causes

The principal cause of flower and flower bud drop is high temperature (day and night temperatures of 32 and 21ðC or higher) sustained for five days or more. Less often, damage from sucking insects, such as the tarnished plant bug and particularly the pepper weevil, can lead to bud drop. Loss of open flowers can also occur when flowering plants are exposed to cool weather (day and night temperatures of IS and 5ðC), during which the growth of pollen tubes is slowed, so that normal pollination is prevented. The disorder can also be caused by various stresses, including insufficient water, strong wind, high relative humidity, nutrient deficiency or toxicity, and nutrient imbalances.

Control

Avoiding high temperatures by adjusting the planting date or moving to a cooler location may be feasible for some growers. The best management practice is to ensure adequate water and fertilization during flowering. Some varieties of bell pepper are less susceptible to flower bud drop, so variety trials conducted during problem periods may be useful. Good insect control may be helpful if sucking insects are suspected to be the cause. Flower loss due to cool weather rarely lasts long enough to cause sustained reduction of flowering, so the best way to control this disorder is to wait for warmer conditions."

Source: NMSU

Caelian

• willardb3
    10 years ago

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
    2. Night temp too low 85F
    3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
    4. Too much water
    5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
    6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
    7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
    8. Lack of pollinating insects.
    9. Size of pot

1. Too much mineral in feedwater.
    2. Too much grower attention/anxiety.
  • seysonn
    10 years ago

Salevene (OP) has already mentioned the most probable cause:
    -- they are in the middle of rain season, (raining like crazy, no sun..)
    I hope by now your rain season coming to an end.

• salevene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yup, rain season finally coming to a closer and the pepper seems to be doing fine. We lost a few flowers and only 1 pepper during the heart of it, but its going strong and has about 15-20 pods on it.

Thanks all for the advice.

Sponsored