Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sidhartha0209

Kaleidoscope; Capsicum baccatum

sidhartha0209
11 years ago

Anyone grown this one? It's supposed to be very sweet and flavorful w/little heat. Can't find much info on it, wondering if it's prolific, comes on mid, late, or very late.

Please tell if you know! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Kaleidoscope; Capsicum baccatum

Comments (5)

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

I'd say you have some research to do this coming grow season. ;-)

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm normally the curious 'try it and see' sort but I'm not in that mode for this upcoming garden, don't want any surprises.

My intent with a pepper like Kaleidoscope is to plant it solely for others in my clan who lack the 'hot tooth' that I have. I'd love to turn my wife and kids on to that great baccatum flavor without the heat, BUT, I reiterate, BUT, I don't want it to be a late or very late season chile. It's frustrating to me to have the frost end the chile bearing season when it has hardly just begun; all those unripe chiles....sigh.

CCN carries 'Aji Habanero' listed as mild, mid season, and prolific. I intend to order three plants for 2013.

Maybe someone here knows something about 'Aji Habanero'?

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Consider planting your test subjects in containers. Then you can give away or give over for care, or bring them in at need.

Start more than you need, then give each wife and kid a plant to care for or kill with love or neglect. Something about your very own pep makes it taste even better.

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"...give each wife and kid a plant to care for or kill with love or neglect..."

Actually I intend to do just that with the youngest who has three raised beds to put something in...the others, well, they'll be suspect of any chile pepper plant that I would give them. I could possibly 'win them over', you know, 'break the ice' with some nice 'ready to eat' mild or sweet flavorful pickled baccatums, and then next year I'll go a rung up on the heat scale, and then the next year even higher, and before long we'd all be one big happy clan of chile heads!

You know anything about Aji Habanero?

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm pretty much settled on these for next year:

Aji Crystal
    Aji Habanero
    Aji Omnicolor
    Criolla Sella
    BENI HIGHLANDS
    Limon
    Nardello

I know Nardello will be to their taste, I think Aji Habanero may be also.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations