Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corpus_gw

Deep planting peppers

corpus
9 years ago

Hi everybody,

I have a lanky cayenne (lilac) in a pot and am considering putting it into the ground. Is it possible to deep plant / long stem plant the thing, to stabilise it and generally help it, as is possible, for example, with tomatoes?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (18)

• daveintexas
    9 years ago

Yes

• pepperchuck
    9 years ago

I second dave, definitely doable and in a leggy situation I would say recommended

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Personally I would not.You can plant tomatoes as deep as you want but with peppers your stem will rot. Peppers dont grow roots all up there stems like peppers do.
    I always plant tomatoes deeper, never peppers.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

This past season, after planting few peppers in a wooden long container, I added more soil to it later. Later on, I scratched the soil and found new roots in the added soil.

So, I think although pepper do not grow more roots in the buried stem as readily as tomatoes but they DO grow to some lesser extent.

Seysonn

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

As a general practice, only plant green seedlings deeper.

Once the trunk has lignified (begun to turn woody), the chance of rot greatly increases if planted too deeply.

Josh

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

As a general practice, only plant green seedlings deeper.

Totally agree. I've had roots grow above soil level at this stage in humid environment.

Once the trunk has lignified (begun to turn woody), the chance of rot greatly increases if planted too deeply.

Amazing what I learn here every day. Thank-you Josh!

• corpus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone, very much. My chile's stem isn't as woody as it could be, though it's certainly lignified (just had to use that word) at about ground level - but is no longer particularly green and fresh either and is no longer a seedling anyway.

I'll keep it where it is for the moment - but will also check out the FAQs.

Appreciate your help - thank you!

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

Other then a little purple on the leaves [ looks like from hardening off] your plant looks to me like it totally wants to throw out some side shoots.You could put it in a bigger pot and watch it take off ,and it will.
    A lot of members here would also top it though not necessary it would make your plant bush right out.
    I would not call that plant leggy. Just pop a few peppery tasting flowers kick back and wait for some peppers.A little TLC and you'll have peppers in no time.

• TNKS
    9 years ago

Just put it in a bigger pot and plant it 2-3" deeper
    then stake it with a dowel rod

• corpus
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks pepper dave and TNKS, very much. I'll do just that!

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Stake it up, but don't plant it any deeper.
    The trunk has already become woody.

Josh

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Stake it up, but don't plant it any deeper.
    The trunk has already become woody.

Agreed!

• cheeze2002
    9 years ago

I would pull the bottom 3 leaves off and plant it up to the highest leaf you removed. I would call that a bit leggy but not too bad to save ..

• cheeze2002
    9 years ago

I would pull the bottom 3 leaves off and plant it up to the highest leaf you removed. I would call that a bit leggy but not too bad to save ..

• cheeze2002
    9 years ago

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Agree with Josh. However, I have had seedlings be a tad woody, planted deep, and had no ill effects.

Cayennes are a bit lanky by nature. I wouldn't worry too much. As far as staking, I'm all for support... however, i believe letting the plants brave the breezes builds a thicker trunk. Unless I'm expecting heavy gusts, I leave them unsupported for the 1st month or so.

Kevin

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

This is a pic I found of roots growing from a pepper plant that that stem wasn't lignified.
    {{gwi:2132276}}

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz