Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saucydog_gw

Idyll #385 School's Out For Summer!

saucydog
15 years ago

...and if it's not yet, it will be soon!

Looking forward to the return of Mary and Babs!

Comments (101)

• denisez10
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

P.S. I thought the altiplano was where the Nazca Plains/Nazca Lines were but I see it's north of Lake Titicaca.

Cindy, I'd welcome Terence the succulent turtle on the seat next to me compared to some metro companions I've had...have a great dinner!

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Well Denise. I'd like to explain that "money moron" refers to bigger things: investing, checking up on the bank and the insurance etc...Forms terrify me. Math I am very uninterested in but can do it. Working with DH on balancing books can be a horror for me. I worry about the last penny, he reverses figures. But almost anyone is capable of looking at a calender, opening envelopes, writing a check, affixing a stamp. Yet, DH manages to be so sloppy about timing (he's a prof and plays it to the hilt) that I eventually got him to pay everything on line.

OK, I'll be honest and share that I've lived under a rock all my life. I have no idea who Tim Russert was and find it hard to wax eloquent about someone I never met. Then too, the entire media thing irritates me. Manufactured news with Sesame Street timing from my point of view. The world's events compressed between commercials. Everything seems to be of equal importance: famine, beauty contests, movie stars, wars, car sales, national debt, drought, crime of the week. Boggles me...

Amazing that someone actually lives where Cartmanii Joe can thrive!

Make Way for Ducklings! How very sweet! I love sculptures. Portland Oregon has fabulous ones too I recall. I remember some sea otters there as well as the characters from the Ramona children's books.

Brenda, my gift this morning was a dead chipmunk.... No, the gang has another full week away before everyone returns to work and Day Care.

Enjoying Cindy's and Woody's clematis. I am drowning in weeds here....and mosquitoes.

Shots from today.
    {{gwi:163415}}

{{gwi:163416}}

{{gwi:163417}}

{{gwi:163419}}

{{gwi:163421}}

Happy gardening!
    'bug

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

I'm hopelessly behind again. Oh well, I'll dive in anyway.
    You guys have been busy with such a wonderful variety of things! Turtles, bees, kids, marine layers, moonlight walks, money managing, mourning Timmy R., bathroom refinishing... Jeesh, I'm tired just thinking about it all. I wish you guys hired out - I would hire you all in a heartbeat for my place. LOL
    Today is my first day back from back issues. I have an RF nerve ablation on July 2nd. I can't wait! :-\

The only thing even remotely interesting I can contribute here is tonights activity. I am going to a Native American Summer Solstice Welcome. I have no idea what to expect but I think it's sounds pretty cool. I will report in tomorrow.

Happy Summer Solstice all. :)

Jerri

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Hi Jerri! Looking forward to your report on the NASSW.

'bug's comment re C. cartmanii prompts me to indulge in another smallish story ;) re Oriental poppies which I've long lusted after but which need winter chill hours I can't accommodate here in zone 10. Sometime back in the '90s some intrepid breeder crossed a lot of species and came out with a poppy that could grow in So. Calif, called the "Minicap" poppy. Big fanfare, I bought one, killed it, and the hybrid poppies faded away, never to be heard of again. Periodic Googling brought up zilch. Until a yr ago, on GW, someone referenced a grower in England that grew "superpoppies." I corresponded with the grower, who now had developed many different varieties of these poppies, and whose stock came from the original Calif breeder, all now mine for the taking with a phytosanitary cert. But the cert process is laborious and darn pricey to boot. So I keep the paperwork on my desk, just in case the poppy hunger gets unbearable.

Two days ago Park Seed catalogue comes in, which usually gets tossed, but I absent-mindedly flip thru a few pages and see the word "superpoppy." The world switches to slow motion as I read the entry, and it is one of the English breeder's poppies finally on our shore! I order two and an astrantia and now anxiously await my poppies. Ain't life grand? The only downside is Park zones it only to 8, not down to 9 or 10, and nowhere is it mentioned these superpoppies don't require winter chill. Hopefully, they just don't know what it is they've really got...

I've been reading this nice blog Snapdragon after finding a write-up a few months back in the BBC's Gardens Illustrated, and Mary's sewing reminds me of some of her stuff. She seems to live an idyllic life in Scotland making handcrafts, is a florist, growing and arranging flwrs, raising a family. I thought the hosta trick would be something the idyllers with miles of hosta might be interested in.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Have another minute to try to catch up a little more....

Hope your weather will cooperate to get your playhouse painted, Michelle. Can't wait to see it...have you decided on a color yet?

Babs...thanks for the tip about honey for burns. I hadn't heard that one. We used to use Aloe Vera gel, but I haven't seen that sold in awhile.

Martie...sorry to hear Rich has had to have a procedure. He has had his share lately it seems. Hope he is feeling better. I am in agreement with Chelone...I do like the name 'The Park' as is. Wondering what has you considering changing it? Also wanted to mention your neighborhood sounds wonderful!

So many great Clematis growers here...what's the secret? I know you need to have sunny tops and shaded roots. Does anyone do anything special to keep theirs looking so marvelous. :-)

Woody....have you ever tried growing the Rosa BDdC from collected seed?

Also found the discussion of the Marine Layer interesting. I didn't realize you had that on the West Coast. It's been a long time since I lived anywhere close to the ocean, but I did spend a few summers on the North Shore of Massachusetts growing up and I distinctly remember there were lots of days that would start out foggy and clear up by late morning. I really enjoyed that. Not sure if I would have if it lasted into the afternoon and interfered with going to the beach, which I love.

Saucy...your mention of Jake's trip to Six Flags with his class brings back memories. Canoby Lake in NH was our field trip for graduating from sixth grade quite a long time ago. [g] We were SO excited! DH and I really enjoy amusement parks. Sometimes I think we enjoy it more than our kids do...lol. Haven't been in quite awhile though, and never have been to Six Flags, although DH and kids have gone. I am always impressed with children who show any signs of 'organization'. Did he have a fun time yesterday?

Still loving the color of your siding behind your plants, Saucy. I have lived with beige siding for TOO long and crave more color. :-) That water garden in the galvanized tub looks really interesting. Would love to know what you have growing in it. Also see you enjoy the dark foliage plants...the ajuga and carex are something I would grow. Wondering if that is an ornamental pepper in front?

I used to want to live like Tasha Tudor too. [g]

I have to add similar sentiments to Gardenbug and Denise's about the way the media presents the news. I am not watching much of it anyway. I just can't tolerate being reminded multiple times a day of how many things are wrong in the world that I don't feel in a position to do anything about, and that I find upsetting. I also feel the way the Media presents it, just adds to everyone's apathy. I didn't always feel that way but it's been a few years since I watched the news with any regularity. We used to watch Walter Cronkite and we did enjoy Peter Jennings and Harry Reasoner, so I do remember what that felt like when they stopped presenting the news. Sorry Sue, about Tim Russert.

Cindy....that plant in your water garden on the left side...what is that called? Someone gave me that and I didn't realize it was a water plant. It didn't get watered well enough and it is looking pretty sad. I am wondering if I can cut it back to the ground and expect new growth? I suppose I should think about using it in a water garden too. Do I really want to start another project right now? [g]

Mary...lovely bags that I imagine teachers are very happy to get. Love the way you lined them.

Babs..your bosy are so big! Someone took a great photo, love the way they are framed with the tree branches.

DH told me the Solstice is here again. Now the days start getting shorter. He is the strangest person, he actually looks forward to when the days get shorter while I am so not wanting to see it start getting dark earlier. Did you ever hear of anyone who liked it getting dark early? [g]

Denise...LOL...'Red-hot or nailed down'?? Isn't that interesting that you seem to know so much about the 'marine layer'. It might be Marty that is up on all of it, but I think you have been assimilating some of it from him. :-)

Love that Lily Gardenbug....and envy you the clean foliage. Here we are dealing with the Red Lily Leaf Beetle that is making me think seriously of letting go of lilies all together.

Jerri...your evening's activities sound interesting. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Officially caught up...! :-)
    pm2

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Oh...I almost forgot. You may remember we don't have any pets at our house, but our son brought a dog home to his house from a shelter last year which he is just wild about. We got a call today that he now has brought home a cat to go with the dog and to his surprise, the cat had kittens. He just sent us photos of 4 very cute 4 week old kittens! He has always loved animals. We all had such a bad experience with a three year illness our last dog had, that we haven't had another pet since. Our two youngest were impacted the most, so I am just so happy that he is finally having animals in his life again. Plus, we never could have a cat since DH is quite allergic.

:-)

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Lol, well I'm glad to see I'm not hogging ALL the "special gifts"! Tucker is here, though not really settled in. He's very nervous, of course. I thought maybe if I played ball with him for a while it would tire him out and he could relax a little. No such luck. He got the ball, walked past me with it and put it under a bench on the porch...purposely. He walked all around my car, then sat down at the back hatch. I assume this means he decided that would be his entry point, and I should take him home, now. He's also brought me his leash and toy rope a couple of times. The leash, I can figure out. The toy rope, I don't have a clue, unless he's just abusing me ;) When he brings that, he swings his head and smacks me with the knotted end.

'Bug-Tim Russert did Meet The Press for years, and is one of the few people in the media I have an inkling of respect for. Tough, fair, and not overly dramatic, although it was plain to see that he loved his job. I share your view of the news in general. I often hear the Eagles song "Dirty Laundry" in my head during the news.

PM2-I saw a clip of and Elton John concert on t.v. once, and he apologized to the parents in the crowd as he was about to do "The Circle of Life". He said he figured they had probably heard it enough, but....
    I'm planning a special surprise for my DS for his birthday this year. He's always wanted to go parachuting. Two of my nephews went on Father's Day, and said it was awesome. They did a tandem jump with an instructor, so I think this year, that's what the boy and I are going to do to celebrate our birthdays. They're only five days apart, and it's something I always thought I would get around to doing, so no time like the present.

I should probably get something started for sides for supper. DH is grilling pork chops. He grills most of the time in the summer, and since he's busy cultivating the corn, I figure I should contribute something :)
    Later, all!
    Brenda
    PS. Tucker had a run-in with a skunk a couple of days ago. DN was mortified to bring him over. He's been bathed a bunch of times, but y'all know how that goes. He's not repulsive, but you DO know what happened...got it right in the face, poor guy.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Parachuting?! Brenda...well I'll be! Quite adventurous. I can safely say I have never wanted to jump out of a plane at any time in my life...lol. Your son must think you are the coolest Mom. :-) My BD is 5 days from DD and 9 days from our middle son.

• chelone
    15 years ago

I always liked Tim Russert's manner, too. He was always polite and respectful to his guests but at the same time retained the ability to zero in and ask the tough questions, never allowing them to "wiggle off the hook". Another favorite interviewer of mine is Bill Moyers; I have NO time for puffed-up wannabes like Bill O'Reilly (cracked me up that Bill Moyers remarked, "he's not a journalist, he's a pugilist"). We on the Compound share the same concerns about "news" and the "importance" its given on the 3 major network broadcasts. We prefer PBS and NPR, but we also read and use the internet to search out comprehensive coverage. What struck me most about Tim Russerts early death is that he is the same age as my brother. I've been thinkin' about that the past week!

The weather has been unpredictable enough that it frightened away the painters for 3 days. ;) They were here yesterday and today and the completion date on the contract is TODAY. ;) I am irritated on one level (I want to be able to work on the gardens and get the awnings up!), but OTOH it is what it is and it won't be the end of the world. Not like the electrician who held up other contractors! Still unable to glean further information on piercings and "ink". (wink).

The helpmeet is a wicked spoHts fan. The Red Sox, the Celtics, and football (though he has a long standing love affair with the NY Giants). I loathe football, but baseball, basketball, and hockey are interesting to me. I also love horse racing and always have, though the present state of the sport sickens me. I believe in breeding quality, sound horses and racing them into maturity to PROVE their worthiness to be used as breeding stock. I caught a very quick snippet of a guy (Kendall Jackson winery?) who owns Curlin(g) speaking before the Congress. I nearly cried when I heard an owner of a quality racehorse espousing the very same sentiments I feel! No more cheap speed horses, let's herald the return of the mature handicapper who can carry weight and go 1 1/2-2 miles. It saddened me to learn he has to go to S. America or Europe to find the big, strong breeding stock he wants to cross with the leading sires in the USA. Perhaps Eight Belles and Barbaro will have a posthumus effect on the sport that created them...

Everyone's gardens look so great (have yet to "stroll" with you, Deanne), and I'm very intrigued by the container water gardens. I expect to see one of you among the winners in the FG competition. Here? 'bug your weeds have nothin' on mine. Things I want to do are on "hold" with painters tramping about, the elusive desire to wrap up the bahn project, and a general malaise about lack of progress on either. It'll pass. So keep entertaining me and strumming the guilt nerve, OK?

I remember a PBS Victory Garden episode that visited Tasha. And when I read your mention of her, 'bug, the first thing I thought of was CORGIS (Denise). I also recall that she wore a Juliet cap... she was definitely one who marched to her own drummer. I learned today that she dropped out of school in the 8th. grade. Hmmm... should we take that as a calculated, intelligent move or put her into the "lucky" category? 92 and able to die in her home is lucky, indeed. Maybe living a good, generous, creative life really does deliver "the goods". :)

Mary, I tip my hat to you for undertaking the bathroom renovation. I am a firm believer that with curiosty, good directions, and a plan one can accomplish just about anything. Give yourself time with the new paint color. I've always been pretty good at picking winners, but was burned badly by yellow about 25 yrs. ago. LOL, I've been frightened by yellows ever since. I have to go back and listen to the linked piece; doubly important after reading your side of the Altiplano.

I looked at your posted shot, PM2, and was reminded of some Pink Floyd album that included some pretty weird post cards... one of a guy doing a handstand in some sort of alkyline formation locale... . I've either burned those brain cells or it was a really LONG time ago. But what great shots. How fortunate are we to inhabit such a beautiful place, and have the technology, and human creativity to see it and share it? Wow!

Victor Firth (BSO percussionist) has a home in my community. He has shopped at our shop, too. And he's added peppermills to his line of drumsticks. It was the helpmeet who told me the Timpany is infinitely tuneable... who knew?! I know exactly diddle about music. But I know enough that I'm immediately irritated when my boss dismisses classical music as "boring". I love classical music. And I even like Opera, but in small, meaningful doses.

So much more to comment on, but not right now.

Takin' care of your bum leg, Sue?! I repeat: don't screw with this or you will regret it.

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

MRI scheduled for Monday night, Chelone. Maybe that will shed some light on what is going on. I've been doing the calf stretches and band exercise prescribed by the physical therapist and icing once or twice a day. The orthopedic guy wanted me to ice four times a day for 20 minutes each time in addition to the stretches and exercises. My PT suggested I go in my hot tub twice a day. It all sounds wonderful but who the heck has a couple of hours a day to sit around and do all this stuff? I try to minimize activity but I have to go to work, maintain the house and garden and take care of the dogs. Being in a boot and on crutches just isn't realistic for me. Unfortunately the pain I have now is just annoying and doesn't prevent me from doing most things.

Weird weather here tonight. I was going to spread some mulch but it keeps raining off and on (it's currently pouring) so I decided to sit and watch the much maligned mainstream news instead...lol. Thunder is rumbling off in the distance and Nick just jumped into my chair. Time for a good bottle of wine.

Deanne, I passed your garden gallery link around again today to selected co-workers. As usual, it was a hit. If you don't mind I'm going to study your container combos. I'm at a point where I have empty containers and openings in half designed containers but all the plants I have left don't fit any of the open spots or combine well with any of the other "inventory" plants. Selection of annuals at the local nurseries has dwindled considerably. What to do? What to do?

The comforter set I ordered for my bed at the beginning of May finally arrived today and I'm giving it the thumbs up. The room needed some pattern and color. The only problem is the bed skirt is just a tad too long-maybe half an inch in some spots. I hate to bring it in to be shortened by that little amount. Any tips of the trade, Chelone?

Brenda, I did the parachuting thing in college. Go for it!

OK, guess I'll defrost a filet for dinner and go find some wine. I'm getting better at the grilling thing-only about half of what I cook comes out overdone. At least I haven't incinerated anything yet...lol.

Later,

Sue

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

PM, Canobie Lake Park is the only amusement park I will take my kids to....I love the mature trees - they provide much needed shade that is neccessary for any summer enjoyment, IMO! I don't care for the concrete jungles....

Jake's at the Luau tonight - they let them hula until 10pm tonight, then all the fun's over for Middle School....

They filmed this morning and I was on the evening news. I didn't do too bad, having not expected to be hooked up to a microphone and asked questions...Brenda, it might show up on the website, since I see other clips there. I have to tape it somehow since family wants to see :) I'll see if I have the nerve to show my goofy interview here for all to giggle at :) I must've been 10 shades of red :)

I must say my bees interviewed well...no veils or gloves were required today :) I have a swarm building up and have to make a decision how to handle. My old queen quit laying a couple of weeks back in preparation and therefore she has shrunk in size (abdomen not full of eggs to lay) and is hard to find (why I did not see her). She will fly off with about half my bees to start a new hive if I don't do something to prevent this. It's too late for some tactics, but I'm thinking of trying to do a "split". I'll let you know the procedure when I pick one :) Much reading is needed on the subject.....but I'm leaning toward the newspaper method :)

Thanks all for being patient with my new hobby.

I dabbled in my water garden today because my neighbor brought me surprises for it...a corkscrew rush and some wather hyacinth. It's looking pretty good now that it's getting warmer :)

Cindy, I meant to say how much I loved your water feature! There's just too many cool plants to dunk in the puddle, don't you think? Have you tried a .10 fish or two? You might get a pet heron, too :)

Martie, Nick had tests and now we have to see a specialist (Nick's request...just getting an educated opinion), though I think we're okay now. They found no gallstones, but "spots" on his liver. It was pretty stressful while we waited for a CT scan, but everything is looking like run of the mill hemangiomias....just get tested again in 6 months. I didn't want to say anything here until we knew better, and now we do and we're breathing easier.

I've gotta go wash the fun of today off of me :) I smell like I got sprayed by a skunk :)

Saucy

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

100 degrees when I got home from work today, and it has now cooled down to a brisk 99. Im staying in the house till the sun goes over the neighbors Magnolia. Doobie and Ted are just about comatose and the garden looks very unhappy. I watered on my lunch hour today (which I took at 10am, knowing this was predicted) but the succulents, zinnias and salvias are toughing it out like the troopers they are. No marine layer in sight this week Denise, but would welcome it with open arms about now.

Ill join bug in her ignorance of Tim Russert, since I rarely watch tv , and never watch tv news unless there is election coverage to be had . My friend George and I from about the age of 12 through high school were major NBC news groupies, worshiping at the shrine of Frank Mcgee, Sander Vanocher etc. I get all my news now from newspapers and radio, mostly NPR and in depth stuff from magazines like the Atlantic and the Economist. I like the Economist because it has journalists from all over the world and it gives me a more balanced view of things than one might get from reading just US sources. As much as I use/enjoy the internet, I havent gotten into it much as a news source yet. Some how I am soothed by printing on a page and a nice adult beverage .

Deanne, with the heat we have had here the last three days , your garden stroll was just a welcome respite. Is that the new fountain you got for half-off ? Love it ! To me seeing all your containers before they have filled-out and spilled-out really demonstrates the huge amount of labor and thought required to put together such a huge number of fabu-fabu combos. Have you actually ever counted how many containers you have ? I think we Idylls really need this information ! Maybe a Guess the Containers contest? Like the Jelly bean bowl at the fair.

Denise, when I moved up here to Norcal I was excited to find Oriental Poppies in the nurseries and bought a few post haste, all miserable failures. We do get decent chill here- we can grow cherries, apples, phlox, peonies (bad peonies, but peonies none the less) but my experiments with the OPs ended after about 3 years and I have not even attempted them again. Papaver somniferum however is a wild success !

And Chelone, Ms Tudor often had bare feet. I listen to horseracing sports-talk show on the radio on Sat am when I am driving around doing my shopping errands. The guy who anchors the show is an old timer and even though I have no clue what they are talking about most of the time I find I really enjoy listening to it. They continue to express concern about the state of the sport, roids etc. Jason Giambi on 4 legs.

Wonderful to have Babs and Brenda back in the fold again. Saucy will be a film at 11. Marys teacher bags are wonderful, and all the Clematis pics from Woody, Cindy, PM etc are being viewed with interest and envy !

And GB is that a martagon lily ?

A brief word on finances: my DH was an accountant by trade and did all the home bill stuff , although unilateral decisions were never made when it came to investments or large expenditures. After 25 years of basically having a live-in financial advisor it took me awhile to get in the groove after he died. I would encourage one and all to openly share and learn the family finances, because you never know the future and when the unexpected happens and you are suddenly left on your own that is one thing you dont want to have to worry about knowledge is power,right?

Ok Cindy, you may want to avert your eyes as I am posting another Daylily pic, lol .(I would advise you never under any circumstances to visit the daylily forum. )

This is Bela Lugosi, and very similar to Purple Rain, but the flowers are bigger .

{{gwi:163422}}

Kathy in Napa

Greetings to all !

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Evening all,

What a great couple days Ive had. The gardens are really taking shape and Ive finally gotten all the edging, trimming, deadheading, arranging, planting etc. etc done. Now Im ready to tackle some new projects! LOL Something else to take care of, its hopeless.. I tell you hopeless. Im in need of an intervention. The good news is that one of my neighbors daughters (just finished her freshman year in college) is going to be able to work for me one day a week. Woohoo!!!!!! She is studying to be a dentil hygienist so Im figuring even if she wanted to know what deadheading was shell be willing to pay attention to the details. Thank you so much all for the kind comments about the gallery!

So Cindy, good grief! Those clematis arches are fabu-fabu!!!!!!! Just incredible! I cant get over that youve got a dahlia that overwinters outside. Wow! Im jealous. ~~ where did you get those lovely floating balls for the mini water garden? I just love it.

Babs, what a lovely cabin and great pic of the boys, thanks for posting those.

Brenda, you are too kind! Thanks! ~~ Too cool, parachuting? Incredible, you are a braver woman than I. I have the same attitude as Doug. I have no intention of ever jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.

Mary, just love the bags! So beautiful. You are so clever. ~~ bathroom renovation pics? ~~ "What to Do If I Croak" You guys are too much. I told Doug and he said he needs to do the same thing.

Saucy, congratulations about the tv interview!!! Too neat! Id love to see that TV piece. Is there any way you can tape that so we can see it? Interesting about the swarm. If the queen leaves with the swarm will the hive make a new queen?

Wendy, Its incredible how much difference losing a tree makes. ~~ LOL you know me so well, yes indeed, I do love my flowers. So glad you noticed the new fountain! I cant wait to get it up and running.

PM so happy you like the yellow container. Ive got one with some yellow abutilon and a phygelius that are ready to bloom. Ill have to focus on that one when it gets going.

Sue, I agree with Michelle, your brothers are a bit cracked. Amazing that they wouldnt give you their SS #s. ~~ Im flattered you are interested in my containers! Ive spent many, many hours looking at photos of yours looking for inspiration!

Denise, lol can you tell Im a virgo?

Cindy, Ive got your guest room ready so you can come and stroll in person.

Gorgeous photos Bug. Whats the name of that lily?

Jerri, looking forward to hearing about the solstice celebrations.

PM Im thinking the trick to clematis is to plant thousands of them and then a few will make a splash! ROTFL

Kathy, OMG! Over 100F! I feel your pain! ~~ Yes indeed, that is the new fountain I bought for 50% off because it was missing the finial. Weve still not found what we want for the top. ~~ So OK we can have the "Guess the Containers" contest and Ill give you a clue, the number is well over 100. As youve said, I need an intervention but usually Eden has more than I do. ~~ Bela Lugosi is delicious.

OKie Dokie, Doug is snoring over in his recliner and Ive got to teach tomorrow so I guess Id better get some shut eye.

Nite all
    Deanne

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Good evening

I am feeling rather proud of myself as I was able to single handedly removed our old toilet. It took some perseverance as the screws had corroded and one had to be hacksawed off. But the mission is accomplished, wax seal cleaned out and tomorrow I shop for a new, water efficient model. Life is good!!

The wall color I'm back to loving now it has had two coats and I see the contrast with the white trim. Chelone - you are so right that with some research, a plan and rolling up your sleeves much can be achieved. I'm lacking in the brute strength department but the right tools make many tasks manageable. I still get rather annoyed when I go to Home Depot and ask for advice. Today when I had questions about installing a pedestal sink I was asked why my husband wouldn't be helping me.

Saucy - congratulations on your TV debut!!

Brenda- parachuting sounds way cool but something I would never have the nerve for.

Kathy - Bela Lugois is stunning.

Deanne - I wanted to tell you my little plants from you have taken off and are looking fabulous. Some of my combos are even looking rather Deanneish!! I'll try and get pictures that do them justice.

I used to want to be Tasha Tudor - she had a fantastic dollshouse and fabulous gardens. Not sure now I'd fancy wearing the 19th century garb she favored but I always enjoyed her artwork.

Somehow the evening had gotten away from me and I'm up early tomorrow for a market run and an end of season sale at my favorite greenhouse. Nite everyone

Mary

• chelone
    15 years ago

I am suspicious of airplanes any day. The notion of jumping out of one just seems wrong, very wrong. But if you two think it's a good idea far be it for me to question your choice... ;) We will be celebrating 16 yrs. at a local restaurant this very evening. Let's hear it for compromise and good senses of humor.

The solstice has occured and "the back of summer is broken". It's all downhill from here, kids. How many days until Christmas?

I have a long day in the "lab." today, and probably tomorrow, too (the patio set cushions). If you can't lower the river you have to raise the bridge, Sue. How about some of those heavy glass coasters you put under furniture to protect the floor? or a layer of something like carpet underlayment foam over the box spring? OR, the ultimate cheapie, "down and dirty" alteration: mark the center of the fabric that goes over the boxspring, fold and take a 1/2" seam, you will lose 1/2" from each side. And you can simply move the skirt forward on the bed to shorten the portion at the foot of the bed. Easy-peasy! (that'll be $25, please). :)

The helpmeet loves messing around with his computer and the music programs. I frequently hear him down in "the rat's nest" laying down tracks, playing with tempo, and working on vocals. He can spend hours down there and it's nice to hear the music drifting through the house.

OK, well I'd best get rollin' on the day's project. Back later!

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

A succelent turtle sounds like a wonderful gift Cindy.

Bravo Mary! I like a woman who has the guts to go for it. I can't wait to see pictures of the finished bathroom.

Saucy, if they put your story up on the website you MUST link it for us! Glad to hear Nick's news.

PM2, I love your white clematis. I also recall seeing a wonderful picture from your garden over on perennials forum.

Item of interest to me this week was the wildflower seeding that the state is doing along our highway. They sprayed the ditches with Round Up. They were full of Queen Anne's Lace, it will be interesting to see if they got it all. There must be some extra funds floating around somewhere. Rumor is that its money from the Lady Bird Johnson project.

A few shots from last night when it was raining on and off while we were out. Never mind the bricks piled in the garden, its a work in progress LOL

{{gwi:163423}}

{{gwi:163424}}
    {{gwi:163425}}

Michelle

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Happy Anniversary Chelone! Dinner out is always my first choice to celebrate something. Thanks for the bed skirt tips. Raising the boxspring or the frame legs was something I hadn't even thought about doing. The check is in the mail.

It didn't get dark here until around nine o'clock last night. Love the extra daylight but hate to think we're on the downside again even though it will be a month or two before you really notice. Unlike Chelone I'm not counting the days til Christmas just yet...lol.

Mary, will you be showing us before and after shots of the bathroom? I agree that having a few good clues and the proper tools is all an adventurous person needs to tackle most home improvement projects. A few years ago we had to replace the two toilets here (both original to the house from 1941) and on the advice of our plumber went with a brand called Toto. They are low flow and unlike some low flow models you never have to flush more than once.

Saucy, I can't believe bees gear up to fly the coop, or the hive in this case. I never realized there was so much to bee keeping. Thanks for sharing the education.

Marie, is that Thalictrum in your last picture? Gorgeous color! Weeds are winning here as well.

Cindy, how was dinner?

Love the daylilies Kathy. It's a bit too early for them here just yet. The memory of 100 degrees is still too fresh in my mind from a couple of weeks ago. July is the worst month for heat around here so no doubt there will be more to come.

It looks like a beautiful day out there and I don't have a plan. Tonight I have a 40th birthday party to go to for one of my sister in laws. It's being held at someone's house in Manchester-by-the-Sea, MA, a big bucks ocean town north of Boston. I'm staying overnight at a local hotel. The party starts at 7 and it's probably close to a two and a half hour drive. Wendy, what time is breakfast tomorrow morning? LOL

OK, best to get cracking.

Sue

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

It is a luscious Saturday morning here after rain showers on and off for most of last evening.

LOL, I have a whopping five Clematis plants blooming! Like Eden, 'bug has gotten me hooked. Pics to follow after I believe they are real :-)

Hope the following info will ease the certain misery PM's feeling trying to remember the Logee writer's name: Tovah Martin. If you ever have a chance to see her speak, GO!! She's a hoot and since her divorce from the Logee/Martin clan, has been someone absent. Hope that changes. Wonder if she and Tasha ever met?

Much discussion concerning The Park's name and in order to avoid an ice cream based food fight, we have collectively decided that "Cornfield Park" it is! It suits the history of the land and feels informal while acknowledging the planning and work that went into the space. Very fu-fu way of saying: It Just Fits.

Now there's the issue of signage. LOL

Anyway -- today will be spent deadheading and weeding and SALATing blank spots and starting to construct some kind of plant list to fill them. The REAL fun starts now since every low maintenance must haves are in and the nooks and crannies can be occupied by WOW Factor plants that may be touchy. First in: Poppies!! Learned recently from a 92yo gardener extraordinaire -- she is honorably in charge of a Historical Society garden in a neighboring town -- that the secret to good poppies is lots of sand in the bottom of the hole.

Your oranges look amazing, Michelle -- did you add sand?

We are all truly on the same wavelength, sometimes. I love, love, love the PM2 Pic and David music ???coincidence??? (I think not).

Great Nick news, Saucy!

Will be thinking of Sue on Monday.

Off to the bank with Rich and then to do some weekend food gathering.

Waving Hi to everyone.

It's Summer in all Ways!!!!

Martie

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Larder is stocked with summer food though we drew the line at hot dogs. Boneless chicken will be marinating shortly in citrus/herb olive oil based glop and new red potatoes are waiting for garlic. Com'on over!

Happy Anniversary Chelone and Helpmeet!

Was thinking of Brenda while watching our returned Jamaican friends working the non-shade tobacco fields. I still think that the local kids are missing out on a lot of lessons by refusing to work the farms, here. At 14, there isn't much other choice for making money. That said, the lilt of the speech and the joy of the harvest is something we look forward to. Strawberry season is in full swing and the jam jars have been expunged from the basement are are waiting for washing.

I feel for you, Marie, that you can't talk to your lovin's on their BD's. You'll just have to make up for lost time.

I have a vision of a teeny model-to-scale bathroom on Mary's kitchen table for guidance. Hrumph to the HD person who mentioned a husband. Lots of my friends could out-contruct their DH's in a heartbeat.

Deanne - Anytime you're in CT you're absolutely welcome. Ditto everyone else.

I've been tempted to set up an open house date, but this summer has turned itself on it's head, so will wait a bit.

Good to see you, Jerri! I'd wondered if the puppies had confiscated your 'puter for attention :-)

In honor of the California Idylls, I interplanted some Zinnia and Portulaca seeds. Most of them took. Can't bring myself to thin them out. Help?

Seeds Mary sent have become the wonderful backbone for a lot of spots in the garden. Pics will come when the plants are ready to show off.

Babbling on, which makes me think of Babs in Hocking Hills and how wonderful it must there at this time of year.

And again, waving to all I missed but think of...

Martie

• denisez10
    15 years ago

Happy anniv, Chelone and Helpmeet. The two of you have been thru quite a bit the past two years and more than deserve a pat on the back and night on the town for the occasion.

I think that is a white martagon lily, with possibly some pink ones in bud behind, and is that Black Stockings thalictrum? 'bug is such a schoolteacher, making us guess ;) I know you're missing the family, 'bug, but hang in there, only a week to go!

I think I remember Bella Lugosi from last year, what a beauty. I always fall for the dark reds but they don't show up well for me in the garden. Any nice chartreusy types, tallish, with a red edge you can think of, Kathy? lol

Michelle, love the poppies and baptisia, and the clean whites/blues/yellows, love it all!

Mary, has that bathroom been a surprise project? If so, what drama when he opens the door. Caramelly colors, cocoa colors, the "edible" range are lovely.

Martie, can't wait to see your clems -- and the new sign! Possibly wood carved with raised relief of waving corn?

Saucy, "patient" with your new hobby? I'm on the edge of my seat, imagining virgin queens with tiny Elizabethan collars refusing to cooperate. Hope you can find a video link of your local tv debut. I think what's definitely needed is an occasional bee commentator segment. Bees could use lots of PR these days.

Babs is busy washing the entire neighborhood's Saturday cleaning, no doubt. I used to lay down on a little rug in front of our washer/dryer as a kid and nap, the sound was so soothing to me. And now you say they're soundless!

Sue, I don't think I've heard of a more diligent patient than you. Hope you get some answers soon. Sounds like a fun time tonight, but no 6-inch spiky heels, okay?

Waving to Cindy and Chloe. I wonder where Cindy takes Chloe for walkies.

Maybe Brenda will find some time out of the tractor seat this weekend.

I'm thinking Deanne must wear a heckuva utility belt bristling with garden tools, battle rattle and whatnot. I mean your garden is so big, you can't be dashing back and forth to find tools like I do, right?

A Bella sighting would be nice but I know Eden's family has their hands full. And don't wear yourself out this weekend, PM! Waving...

• gardeningmary
    15 years ago

Sue - a high flush rating was at the top of our list for choosing a toilet after environmental concerns! I don't think I took before pics, I'll try for some in the middle.

I must admit to getting a little frustrated with the pat on the head, "aren't you out of your depth" attitude I encounter when it comes to DIY. But it makes accomplishing a job by myself all the more satisfying. DH knows I'm doing the powder room as I needed to make puchases he might have wondered about on our credit card. (and to consult about the new toilet). However, the final reveal and the fact he did not have to be involved in the work will be the real surprise.

Martie - so glad the seeds are bearing fruit so to speak!

Today was the haul of the garden year. My favorite grower sells off her stock for $4 a tray (12 plants) or $1 a perennial. And she has some fabulous things. For $26 I am in absolute plant paradise and can't wait to pick some spots and get planting. First we have guitar lessons, the bare minimum of house work and an evening at a friends book group discussing how we can live a "greener" lifestyle. I'm providing the mint for Mojitos so it should be a fun evening.

Mary

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Hot again. Whine, whine. I had to turn the A/C on because there is a showing today from noon to 2-possibly the most horrid time of day, and the viewer would likely be off put be a house that is hotter than he**. Fortunately he/she Im told is from Sacramento and therefore no stranger to hotter than he**. You couldnt pay me enough to live in the central valley of California.

To the Baroness of Cornfield Park, I say repeat to your self in confident tones I WILL thin the Zinnias , I WILL thin the Zinnias, or they will get mildew, and I hate mildew, I hate mildew. About 20 repeats should do it. Denise and I appreciate the honor of being memorialized in CP with our own patch of non-mildewed Zinnas and festive Portulaca.

Denise, I bet Deanne has some sort of cleverly built garden utility cart that is both pretty and useful either built for her by the ever-industrious Doug, or purchased at about 75% off at one of those famous eastern clime end of season sales.

I better get back to my chores, back later with a Sat afternoon beer once the looky loos clear outlovin the photos, buzz-kid tales,

..and Happy 16th to Helpmeet and Chelone-!

This was my view in the back yard this morning

Behind the tree, very close to the ground-I could hear them talking "We need to go back up"

{{gwi:163426}}

{{gwi:163428}}

Much better altitude !

Up

{{gwi:163430}}

{{gwi:163432}}

And away...

{{gwi:163434}}

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Happy 16Th Chelone and DH, may all your days be bright and sunny !!!

{{gwi:163436}}

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

It's been a doozy of a matrimonial morning, but we may be back on track. There's a 2005 Echo paid for, and probably in my hands by next Wednesday. Sheesh. RED, my least favorite color, but who cares, it moves!

I also had major run-ins with Phoebe who refused to obey this morning and got caged 3 times before she got the message...and breakfast.

Yes, it is the season for martagon lilies, both whites (my faves) and pinks. My Dad loved to photograph them growing wild in the French Alps, so they are a sentimental thing for me. I love that they seed around. I also like various sorts of Thalictrum. I think the one above is called 'black stockings'.

It is a bit frightening to be credited with inflicting my passion for clematis on others. Along with the passion sometimes comes some misery or frustration, so at least I've warned you! I've had some wonderful addicts for mentors though..and the friendships are a big part of the addiction.

I'm in the cool weather group, hence my love of Spring and Fall. 70F is just fine for me! It is 68 at the moment and gloomy.

Mary I'm pleased that you are tackling this bathroom renovation! I understand how satisfying it must be. The "aren't you out of your depth" attitude is thriving in our household, partly due to DH being a professor. At times humour can handle it, other times it takes a rolling pin! I enjoy doing such projects while DH is away not giving advice. Our "plush flush" (a name I used in Nigeria to describe my facilities there) had to be replaced the day after it was installed. The flush was totally inadequate. All the praise for it was a joke and the second one does well.

Michelle, the seeding of wildflowers along the highways will be exciting to watch! I hope it is successful. I know, there are urgent things to do in communities, like feeding people, but nourishing folks with beauty is worthwhile too IMHO. I love your daisies too! I have a huge bunch compliments of Woody and hope they open soon. :) How do you keep your baptisia upright? Is it tied with string or what? A peony hoop just isn't enough here.

Cornfield Park: excellent. I hope you plant loads of cornflowers around your sign! Oh, I forgot, you already plant corn there!

Yes, I'm frustrated this week at not being able to yak with DD. The "ex" (excruciating pain) is so into drama, chaos and selfishness that it is affecting us all...even at thousands of miles apart. I feel especially badly for the little ones. She has evicted her boyfriend and being kind to her just creates more problems. UGH. Such a complex situation.

I hope the anniversary couple celebrate well! Marriage is a tricky affair that you both have worked at well methinks! Indeed, the times with your ailing Mom Chelone, allowed you and the helpmeet to shine.

I NEED a nap. Most unusual, but needed.
    'bug

• cynthia_gw
    15 years ago

I checked You Tube for 'The Bees of Terrapin Station' but it's not up yet. Found two channel 3s in Mass and neither yielded any bee buzz.

Mary's having more fun with fabric! The bag is very neat Mary, especially all the contrasting fabric and looks like leaf appliques? I haven't sewn anything in a week and miss the creativity of it. Maybe head to Joanne's tonight and find some inspiration. I do have an idea, but need a certain kind of buckle - I call it 'little black sliding buckle' and can't find them on line or in stores. Anything I don't have to do is fun.

Yikes but you guys have been very very chatty this week. I couldn't possible read it all, but see some happiness here and glad for that.

I think Katie & Sue are somehow linked. I'm holding back not posting one of Katie's brain MRIs. If a boot and crutch could fix her and prevent potentially more damage, she'd be in a boot and crutch. I do understand your reluctance Sue, but would worry about more serious injury without it.

Katie's body can't support her joy any more, but she still has lots of sparkle and happiness so the vets do what they can to help. (And there was never an animal that loves going to the vet more than Katie. She rallies for the attention and makes my tales of her crippled ways sound like I have Munchausen by proxy.)

Nothing accomplished here today but random fertilizing of pots and saturating my pants and sandals with a leaky watering wand. I was smart enough to do the Saturday errands before making a mess of myself. A beautiful cool week has ended with a torrid Saturday, so no digging out there. Found a deer wandering in the road when I left this morning. Unusal for this area as there's not habitat for deer near here. Looked like a fat greyhound with antler nubbins. We looked at each other several times. He was afraid I'd hit him with the car and I was afraid I'd hit him with the car.

I love Saturdays! It's a good time of year to clean and sort in the cellar (cool down there) so have been doing that. One half is quite tidy. The other half.. 'nuff said.

Cindy your clems are stunning! I don't really like my Jackmanni and mixed a Nellie Moser with it for color later in summer, but now you've got me thinking I should add a different blue to bloom with it. Good idea!

Later ---- Hi to all!

Cynthia

• michelle_zone4
    15 years ago

Lawn is mowed so I'm on to more fun things. I actually came in and showered because as wet as it is in the rest of the state, it is starting to get dry here. Dust just clings to sunscreen.

We turned on our attic fan to draw in the 59 degree air this a.m. and then closed things up to keep it cool for the rest of the day.

Happy anniversary Chelone and helpmeet. Enjoy your day.

'bug, the baptisia isn't staked at all. I only have 2 and they are in different gardens and neither have ever needed it.

Kathy, cool hot air balloon pictures. I believe there are hot air balloon races this weekend in the city. My kids enjoyed them when they were growing up.

Last weekend was the United States windsurfing Championship at our local lake.

No sand in with the poppies. I'm not sure I really like the orange, put they are one of my earlier purchases.

I like the new name Martie.

Later
    Michelle

• saucydog
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Happy Anniversary Chelone!

I thought this picture was perfect for the two of you...came across it last night while looking at Idyllunion photos:

{{gwi:163438}}

Comments later....off to help pack up my neighbor and bring her home....she's been selling her wares at the antique show (antique containers planted up with cool plants).

Saucy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Good afternoon!

Having a fairly pleasant day here today. A little warmer and more humid, but it is summer after all. We put a dent in planting the pot ghetto this morning and the lawn is mowed. Repotted a few houseplants. Satisfying morning, followed by a nap. It still smells great out there today. Between the Honeysuckle, fading roses and mock orange, very enjoyable working out there.

{{gwi:163440}}

Is it your Anniversary Chelone? [g] Celebrate it well...you both deserve it! Best wishes for many more.

• veronicastrum
    15 years ago

A quick check in here since I will be gone for a couple of days. Yesterday I got the afternoon off, rode the train into the city with a friend and enjoyed a great evening. We took the water taxi to Michigan Avenue, strolled to Millennium Park, saw the Lurie Garden (looking awesome!), met another friend for wine, then the three of us headed to the West Loop for dinner and a late train home. Of course, I had to work at 7:00 am (yawn). Tomorrow I head to an antiques fair then to Starved Rock State Park for a day of meetings on Monday. So computer time has been scarce.

V.

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Gazing hopefully towards the west I see some clouds which I would be very happy to see roll in as the evening begins. The national weather service forcast calls for temps 10 degrees cooler for tomorrow. Yay!
    Thinking I will do a revision of the entry garden tomorrow. This will involve buying plants, however it is important that the entry to the home look spiffy for all hoardes of buyers that come through. First impressions you know ? If one tries hard enough, one can find ample justification to buy more plants.

Mary, perhaps for your Tasha Tudor attire , you could sport a lime-green bonnet , and a nice skirt made out of one of your teapot apron fabrics, set off with a white linen, wrinkled shirt ? Probably not suitable for bathroom re-modeling , but just the thing for a WALAT.

Denise, though by no means an expert, it seems to me that the limey-green daylilies I have have seen have mostly been the spider form type. Check out this website-this is a Calif grower, up here near San Jose. I must say that I have never grown anything that has named varites where the coloring is so variable. Weather, soil, region even the time of day can effect how the flower looks. And some of them are not cheap ! The cool thing about buying from some of these lily growers that they typically will send you bonus freebie plants . Disclaimer : I hereby declare myself not responsible for the urge to purchase plants on the part of any Idyllers going to this site.

Cynthia, I just get so irritable with leaky water wands ! One of those things where my annoyance is way out of proportion to the offending incidents effect on life in general. I use quik-connects on all my hose ends and nozzles, and those cheap-o plastic fan sprays seem to be the least leaky thing I own, but they only last so long. Last week I bought a fancy Dramm metal fan spray (in purple no less) which I hope will hold up to years of abuse.

Ok, a big hi and wave to all- need to water a bit more maybe back later.

Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    15 years ago

Chelone...funny you should bring up the need for reform in horse racing. DH and I have been casual observers of horse racing competitions, only following the broadcast of the Triple Crown every year. I continue to comment every year on the thin legs and ankles of the horses running the track. This year, I too was sickened to see Eight Belles having to be put down after the Derby run. I just couldn't watch it any more and had to shut it off. The horrible coverage of the close of the race, where they continued to cover the winner of the race in the winner's circle celebrating after the audience had just been told the news about Eight Belles, I just don't understand what people are thinking about sometimes. I have always loved horses and I hate to see them used and abused. They are such magnificent animals, it's very sad.

Saucy...I knew my spelling of Canobie Lake didn't look right. [g] Yes, the trees are a very important part of the experience there. We have also enjoyed the boat rides on the small lake. It is also not so large that you have to walk miles. We haven't gone in so long...maybe it's time for another trip there this summer.

Add me to the list of those looking forward to seeing footage of Saucy and Company.

Kathy...so sorry it has been so hot there. I am another 70 degree person and don't function well in hot weather. Hope it breaks soon. Looking for photos of that section of the garden you planted annuals in this year. Great balloon photos...wow, they really must have been close to hear them talking...lol.

My guess for how many containers Deanne has...would be 60. [g]

Michelle...what a lovely photo of that rainbow. It looks like a double. Is that your veggie garden with the brick path in it? Really nice. I love bricks. Where do you find all yours? That Shasta Daisy is gorgeous. I grew some from seed and they just bloomed for the first time this week and I am not liking them at all. They are not as short as they were supposed to be and are too stiff. I'm ready to pull them all out. ggrrr. So disappointing, I was hoping for something great. Your Baptisia is so nice and upright. I think they have a better chance of doing that when in full sun. Mine is in about 4-5 hrs of sun only and without a ring, it just flops. Mine is already finished blooming, is yours just starting?

Martie...I have to say, you seem to be in very good spirits lately!! So nice to hear you sounding so good. Thank you for the name of Tovah Martin. Now I see why I have mixed them up...Tovah and Tasha. :-) Tovah's book 'Well-clad Windowsills' lured me into an attempt to have houseplants that gorgeous, but it has been a long time since I had a handle on houseplants and had any that looked even close to hers. And we lived in a different house with sunny windows at that point. I didn't realize she was divorced from the clan.

I just looked up book titles by Tasha Tudor to see if I recognize any I have had out. I didn't realize she had illustrated 'A Child's Garden of Verses' by Robert Louis Stevenson. I know my kids had that book when they were little. The Christmas Cat, was another one. Corgiville Fair and Corgiville Christmas is available in our library system. There is also one called 'The Great Corgiville Kidnapping' ...lol. Also...'The Private World of Tasha Tudor' looks like something of interest.

'Cornfield Park'...I like it! That didn't take long to come to a decision. I liked the suggestion of a wooden sign with waving cornstalks in relief.

Martie, that is funny about not wanting to thin the Zinnias. I added two six packs of portulaca along the street side of a perennial bed and they bloomed their heads off all summer and then must have dropped a ton of seed. There has to be about a hundred seedlings coming up there and I have not thinned it at all. [g]

Marian...everything is looking green there! What's new at your house? How are you feeling?

Gardenbug, congrats on the new wheels! Photo? Photo of Phoebe, pretty please? :-) She must be getting so big.

Brenda...I had forgotten that Elton John had been responsible for the soundtrack to The Lion King. The kids loved singing Hakuna Matata...and I would have to say that was their very favorite.

Very quiet day here. Made a trip to a local nursery after dinner tonight for some fertilizer and they were having a 25% off perennials sale. Not much of a bargain considering their regular prices looked quite a bit steeper than last year. But they had a white dianthus that was so fragrant, I had to take it home with us. I have been looking for just that for awhile.

Well...yawn......that's it from here...

pm2

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Photo of wheels, perhaps next week after all the bureaucracy is completed.
    As to Phoebe, it is so much easier to capture her personality in winter! All black is tough, and constant shenanigans are hard to focus on too. I'll keep trying! She is supposed to have her final lesson Tuesday evening. Perhaps we can get her to calm down a moment to get a certificate? Good question though. She's definitely a teenager.
    Beautiful hawk photo...and wonderful kitty shot there too Ms Saucy!
    TO BED!
    'bug

• chelone
    15 years ago

A quickie this morning as I have another busy day in the "lab." today. I have all the cushion tops and bottoms corded, the zipper boxing is ready to go, and all the remaining boxing is cut, too. I have to make the corner ties and reinforce the inside of the boxing to support them properly. Today is assembly and stuffing.

The lawns are really long, the moist humid weather has been exactly wha they like to put on growth. I am not sure if I will have time today or tomorrow to get to them... or even if the weather will hold to allow it.

The balloon pictures were great; the sky is so shockingly blue, too. When it is hot here it is always muggy, too. I cracked up at the image of Mary sporting a lime green Juliet cap and apron print skirt. Perhaps I could hoe out my treasure trove of fabric stored under my work bench and sent her some appropriate fabrics... or send some to Cynthia to outfit her pack... . Were Doobie and Ted as comatose as the kitty in Saucy's picture (priceless!)?

So 'bug, what was the final diagnosis on the now deceased car? I think it's important to have wheels of your own even if you don't use them everyday. Sometimes just knowing you COULD leave if you wanted is enough. I chuckled at the notion of recalcitrant Phoebe being "impounded". She certainly is giving your patience a try, isn't she? I have the same trouble photographing Rex; his dark brindle coat provides amazing camouflage in the shadows or on the orientals. Wish my besieged gahden looked like yours!

Michelle's rainbow shot was beautiful! as are the other shot of your garden (bricks and all). I love the Baptisia with the orange Poppies. My Baptisia is languising (in a swoon) in a too shady spot but until the painting ends there it must remain. I'll savor the possibilities by looking at your garden.

Nice to see you pop in, Marian. Is that Trubby mooching through the leafy coolness in your pretty photograph? That shot reminds me of our yard, too. Lots of lush gras and nice, cool shade for warm summer days.

I would like to see Saucy doin' the bee talk on TV, too. I'm sure Hollywood will be calling any day now. And I'm fascinated by all the things that "go wrong" in bee keeping. Your bees may simply decide to "take a powder"?? now that's gratitude for you.

Our watering wand leaks, too. I have hit a point in my life where I have very limited tolerance for things that don't work. A couple of the machines in the shop need some serious attention for irritating issues (snapping threads, failure of the knee lifter to release top thread tension entirely, failure to keep the presser foot in the raised position, etc.), but will the mechanic be called? nah, let's just wait until the fail they to run, at all, and we're under the gun to meet a deadline. Drives me nuts, but then I'm the only one who ever cleans them or fully oils them. Errr.

Time to wash the sleep off my face and get about my daily tasks. See you later.

(thanks for anniversary wishes; we had a good time out last night and Rex, the kitties, and I will have a tastey lunch/early dinner today. Prime Rib!)

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

Chelone, that is Tommy, the bob-tail, probably hoping I will take him for a walk up the drive. :-)

Pm2, thanks for asking. We are both doing quite well at the present. :-)
    We have been busier than normal, and that is good.
    We have had perfect weather for the past week or so, and for the 5 evenings that we attended each assembly of the first yearly Lectureship at our congregation. It was a very enjoyable time for both of us. Saw lots of friends that we had not seen for some time, heard great lessons, and enjoyed the refreshments that we women provided afterwards. :-) There were visitors from at least 7 differant nearby congregations. Very encouraging. :-)

We are still plenty wet enough. I haven't even had to water all my containers very often...3 or 4 times at the most. It is very lush and green here.
    The temps are still very mild, with a cool low of 59F last night. We have not reached 90 at our house yet this year.
    It seems strange to be feeling a little too cool as I set here at my computer on the 2nd full day of summer ! I'm not complaining. And I am not going to close the windows and doors. :-)

Kathy, I love all those pics of the hot air balloon. I would be thrilled to see that going over our house.

• chelone
    15 years ago

That's right, Marian! Trubbie was the tabby in the bucket. I just love that kitties like to WALAT with us. Whenever we go outdoors and they're out, too, they "show up". Invariably, there are a lot of "rollies" in the driveway, a good deal of racing around with the "question mark" tail, and several tree climbing displays. All of this is punctuated with an assortment of chirps, trill, mews, and a good deal of purring. You would like our crew, I know it.

Nice to know you guys are doing well.

• ctlavluvr
    15 years ago

Oh, 'bug! These plants are amazing and I'm greatful i'm in a place that grows them well.

Ville de Lyon a few weeks back:
    {{gwi:163443}}

Viticella Mme Julia Correrur (or Correrun??):
    {{gwi:163446}}

Viticella Royal Velours:
    {{gwi:163448}}

Blue [something] that alledges to be a repeat bloomer, growing through a Viburnum carlesii for support and hopefully into a white Buddleia:
    {{gwi:163450}}

Josephine has yet to arrive :-)

And, [trumpets, here "Da, da, dada!] The newest residents of Cornfield Park:
    {{gwi:163453}}

Anyway - putzing around before rain arrives.

Aren't you glad you have DSL, Marian?

Best -

Martie

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

In from spending a pleasant hour w/coffee prepping the entry garden area to recive the new planting scheme. Mostly consisted of demolition in the form of moving plants and pots to other locations and general cut-back and clean-up. It will be hot today but less so. That bright blue sky of yesterday is not around in quite the intensity this morning-there was/is a brush fire in the hills east of me along the Napa-Solano county line which started yesterday afternoon and I am assuming is still burning since there is more than usual airplane activity I would expect they are dropping fire retardants. It is no threat to my area, as the winds do not blow east to west here. You can smell the smoke , and the sky is smog-ish looking. Ill be off to the garden center at 10. more coffee

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Chelone , the old car was a '97 Plymouth Voyageur. It had over 200,000 miles on it. The motor and tires were OK, but the actual problem that stopped me using it was the timing belt. The air conditioner leaked, though I could have ignored that. But also, the oil and water leaked and the struts were rusted out. Had it not been for the struts, we might have put it back on the road, but basically, there were too many critical things to fix. It is always sad to say goodbye to an old vehicle for us. A chunk of your history goes with it. This one was known by many as "The Eggplant".

Today I've done some edging, removed a couple of nasty burdocks and thistles, done a small patch of weeding, mowed the laneway and "The Groundhog Trail". Sweat sweat sweat. (Or should I say a rosy glow?) I snuck in some reading of my book before the fog lifted. (I was up around 6) Now it is time to deal with lunch.

Martie, glad your blooms are showing so well. So I think you have Mme Julia Correvon (I love that one too). I think I have Royal Velours too, but can't remember where. When it blooms I'll find it! Could the last one be Multi Blue? Anyway, it's lots of fun when they thrive. (I killed Ville de Lyon)

Supposed to rain this afternoon.
    'bug

• Jerri_OKC
    15 years ago

Good Sunday morning! :) It is a wonderful day here. DH got up a little early and did some mowing.

The Summer Solstice blessing was exciting and interesting. There were prayers in the native tongue. Burning herbs/incense
    with a blessing for each one of us with a real eagle wing. It was sort of like being knighted! I really do not like a lot of incense
    due to allergies and such, but this was a dried herb which was nice. I have to admit it reminded me a little
    of a burning herb I havent smelled since college. LOL
    It looked a little like one of the sages.
    I wish EP was here. She would have given a more accurate and meaningful description.
    I thought of her a lot during the ceremony.

Jerri

• denisez10
    15 years ago

For Eden's latest acquisition (or maybe one of the most recent ones):

Hesperaloe

Hesperaloe, why don't you come inside my fences
    You're getting me all pensive, here I'll open the gate
    It may be raining, but there's gravel below you
    You better let somebody love you before it's too late

And I keep forgetting to show Cynthia my spiral-less aloe. I've tried to duplicate photo conditions exact for comparative purposes and shrunk it as far as possible but still in visible range to catch any nascent spiralling, but this guy obviously needs to spend some time in Cynthia's spiralling boot camp:

{{gwi:163456}}

Like Kathy, cooler today. Yesterday broke temp records, but if I don't have to go anywhere, I just run my head under the hose when it gets unbearable. Drop-in neighbors' eyes look a little wide when they get a gander at me, but, hey, drop-ins have to take their chances, lol. Every door and window is flung open, and if I go to bed first, like last night, that's how the boys leave it. At least they latch the screen door!

Chelone, being slightly dim, I'm just now picking up on the fact that your lab/salon is now online for your own projects. More congrats to you! (If I'm wrong, just ignore ;)

Martie's definitely got the clem thing down, wow. Mme Julie Correvon does very well here, in fact the viticellas are my best bet but I never see really profuse, knock-your-socks-off bloom.

The Eggplant, RIP. Onward with the Red Rocket!

Jerri, I don't know what burning herb you're talking about...

• chelone
    15 years ago

Wasn't EP a delightful member of the Idyll group?! I liked her so much. She had the same sort of practical, day-to-day take on things that helped put major life upheavals/changes in easy perspective (something I admire about you: Marian, 'bug, Woody, Martie, Kathy, V. ...). I miss her, too. And am reminded of Taryn and her Rex-look alike, Boomer. Miss her, too. What I'll remember about EP, though, is the way she really "took to heart" my side of watching Mum's health crash. She was supportive and aware that sometimes the "child's" perspective was of equal/greater importance than the parent's wishes. She had the ability to see beyond the "here and now" and understand the feelings/worries of those who would be called to "clean up the mess". It was the first time I'd ever encountered such forethought and it really made a huge difference in how I dealt with Mum, her estate, and all the rest of the stuff that landed in my lap. I hope that my frank, honest assessment, very heartfelt account of those years, played out daily here will be useful to some other person faced with the same circumstance. Sometimes the internet "weirds me out", but more often I feel the importance of what is shared outweighs the "invasion". If someone profits an iota by some of what I've shared... I'm OK with it.

A veteran of "old cars" and a philosophy that involves "running them into the ground", I understand how hard the final decision can be, 'bug. I had the experience of having two barely driveable Tauruses in the yahd, as well as the helpmeet's dead Ford F150! My new to me wagon and the helpmeet's new to him wagon were also on premises. I am truly a Maine-girl, you guys... I've had multiple junk cars in my yahd, though none were "on blocks". :) The local salvage guy and me were on friendly terms for a few days. I still see him around town every so often and we still recognize each other; I jokingly tell him "I'll be in touch" and he says he'll await my call. lol.

Gotta get back at it in the "lab.".

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

{{gwi:163458}}

Just a quick, fly-by howdy! This is a crop duster that went over a couple of days ago. The wheat field across the road has army worms, so the guy had it sprayed. Amazing to watch him handle the plane. He had to fly pretty low over our house to be in position for the field.

It rained yesterday and is getting ready to rain again. Hoping to get a few weeds pulled before it starts. South of us a little way got hit pretty hard with hail. DD and boyfriend's flower garden got pelted with it and a farmer friend of ours said some his corn fields got hammered. He said one field just looks like green cigars sticking up out of the ground.
    Chat more later, it's overcast and cool, and the weeds aren't getting any smaller out there!
    Brenda

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

Got a picture of an army worm? I'm not sure what that is.
    'bug

• gardenbug
    15 years ago

OK, now I know what they look like!

Just finished a croquet game with DH (& Phoebe) Phoebe was pretty good, but she definitely assisted DH! CHEATERS BOTH!

• flowerluvr
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link, bug! Wheat has been hit pretty badly in this area. Cool and wet..they like that. We've got one small field of wheat, maybe 50 acres, and they've pretty well stripped it. They don't eat the head, so there is wheat to harvest, but there's not going to be much in the way of straw. We've actually seen areas of the road covered with them as they "march" across it to the next field. They'll also chew on corn, so we sprayed the perimiter of the field next door. Fortunately, DH doesn't lose his head and hose everything :) While I find the crop duster fascinating to watch...it's always in the back of my mind wondering exactly what they're spraying.
    BTW, 'bug...I had the counterpart to the eggplant. Mine was a red Ford Festiva that everyone called the 'mater. And, I've seen tomatoes almost as big as that car was, lol!

Chelone, I think your day-to-day talks about the situation with your Mum helped more people than you probably realize. Thanks for putting it all out there. I thought of you many, many times when my Mom was sick. You dealt with it for SO much longer than I did, and I admire your fortitude.

I did get quite a bit of weeding done, and we didn't get a great deal of rain. We really don't need it at this point. Then we made the dreaded trip to the grocery store. I said, "Heck with it" and didn't change my jeans. Energy was running low, and I've seen a lot worse at wally world. The knees weren't TOO dirty and I made sure I was seen in the garden center and grabbed a couple of Roma plants for good measure. Back home, everything lugged in, salad made, burgers on the grill and I'm set to call it a day.
    Brenda
    PS..ROTFL Denise, that was pretty good! Okay, I missed a lot, but I'm getting sleepy and fear I'll make even less sense than usual. Night, all!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    15 years ago

Just checking in before I pass out. Jeez, the next time I go to a party will someone remind me I'm too old to stay up til almost two AM! Naturally I was awake at seven. After a quick shower and continental breakfast in the hotel, I hit the road and drove the two hours home. Then I did something I NEVER do-took a nap. Yup, an hour and a half nap on the couch and my butt was still dragging. I thought the day was toast but after lunch, then ice cream at the local homemade joint, I rallied and hit the grocery store then came home spread mulch til 7:30. Now dinner is done and I'm counting the minutes til bedtime. Just call me wild time...lol.

The party was good. The house and location were incredible-turn of the century shingle style home complete with a conservatory, screen porch and patio with a sweeping lawn that eventually went to the waterfront. One of those neighborhoods where you drive down the street, look up the driveways and wonder who lives in these shacks. Not well maintained though-lots of gardens but in rough shape. I kept thinking how spectacular it would be if Deanne lived there...lol. Packrats must live in the house. The kitchen was chaotic and at least one room I saw was piled with junk. But oh, the woodwork and detail in the house! A gorgeous foyer with open staircase to the second floor. All hardwood floors covered with oriental rugs. Built in walls of bookcases and water views from every room.

I spent most of the night with my brother who I haven't seen since Christmas and his friend who grew up in the house next store to us who I haven't seen in about 30 years. The old neighbor's girlfriend was from Australia. Both were outgoing and entertaining. They came back to the hotel for a drink after the party hence the late night.

OK, enough from me. If I didn't have to let the dogs out a little later, I'd go to bed now.

Sue

• deanneart
    15 years ago

Evening all,

Well Ive had an incredibly busy., busy, busy three days and Im crashing at the moment. Id love to suck down a couple glasses of wine as I type this but Im not allowed the calories at the moment. (end of that whine) Anyway, Friday I got ready for my weekend seminar. I was supposed to work on it all week long but didnt get myself downstairs until Friday so a very full day crossing my fingers that all the printers and copy machines were going to cooperate so I could get the classroom handouts done. All worked fine, I finished up what needed doing by 6:00PM and was able to help my neighbors three almost adult children. The daughter asked if Id take their portrait (there are three of them)so she could get an 11 x 14 printed up to give their parents for a 25th wedding anniversary present. What great kids! Pic turned out quite nicely.

Got to class on Sat and we had four new students to the group I paint with here so now Ive got a steady twelve students instead of eight. The new ladies from VT were fantastic painters and really fun to work with. The Gang has decided they can come back any time. LOL Last night eight of the students came over for a garden tour and dinner so after class I zipped home, washed up the bathrooms and passed the vacuum quickly just got it put away when they showed up. Sent them home around 8:45PM, ran down the street to wish the neighbors a happy anniversary got home, crashed. Got up at 5:30AM spent an hour and a half watering the containers, filled ten orders the students wanted, headed out to class, taught all day, got home did a bit of SALATING, had dinner and now Im fried to a crisp. So the new ladies also decided to sign up for the September three day seminar that my local students wanted scheduled and for which Ive not yet painted the piece. Yikes, worse news, they all bought the trays we are painting in August that I havent painted yet either. Ive got ten signed up for a class that they dont even know what color the piece will be. Too funny and everyone was laughing about it this weekend but Ive seriously got to get some work done in the next couple weeks. Every time I decide that Im really going to quit teaching they come up with another project idea I just have to do for them, find a weekend everyone can come, collect deposit money and say of course you can do this as they hand me the money. Im easy.

Anyway Im sure I was the cause of the torrential rains that came through here this afternoon because Id spent an hour and a half watering this morning. Have you ever noticed how that happens and that if you dont water you dont get the expected rain? The tropical plants are loving the humidity and are putting on some lovely growth at the moment and the containers get more filled in every day.

LOL Denise and Kathy, I actually have a cool garden apron I modified from a painting apron I had. The apron has criss cross straps that go over the shoulders so none of the weight of the tools is on your neck. I should show it to our seamstresses here as the idyllettes might want one. The pockets on the bottom are like a carpenters apron pockets and go all around the bottom of the apron which wraps around. Then there are various loops for putting trowels and cultivators through so Denises image of me with this massive tool belt isnt too far off. I also do have a very neat roll around cart that holds most tools and I get that out for my all day marathons. I prefer the apron because it has everything I need and I dont have to back track at all to find what I need. The cart is great because I can store my stakes in there too.

Brenda great photograph of the crop duster. Ive got to send that one along to Doug.

BTW, my watering wand leaks too! What a pain in the a -. Every time I put new washers in it and tighten it up it works for a couple days then if you knock it about it starts leaking again. One of my gardening pet peeves is leaking hose joins and watering wands and sprinklers that dont oscillate as they should.

Yes indeed, I miss EP and her insights.

Jerri, that solstice ceremony sounds like it was interesting.

Great clematis Martie! Love the name.

Happy Anniversary to Chelone and Helpmeet!

Michelle, that baptisia is gorgeous and especially beautiful with the poppies. I cant get over that you dont have to stake it. ~~ Love that rainbow photo!

Kathy, some of those daylilies on that site are unbelievable along with their prices.

Mary, sounds like you made out big time at the plant sale. Any photographs would be much appreciated.

Sue, youre such a party animal! Snoozing in the daytime, whats next geritol? Te he, giggles. Sorry Im heading off to bed myself as Im going to fall asleep with this computer in my lap if I dont put myself to bed soon.

Nite all,
    Deanne

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Only a few words from me tonight, our heat wave broke (thank god) and a final WALAT needs to be performed

Sue, I often think what a shame is it that fate has put some folks on properties where others could create a wonderful garden.I know plenty of people who have a lot twice the size of mine, that looks like hell, and they never use it for good reason. Guess we gotta play the hand were dealt.

Martie, your bird nest shot , how great ! Do you know what they are ?

And Brenda , I just found your crop duster pic very compelling. I like the way the house is off to the side and the wires make a drape (like Woodys rose chain) and the big sky.

OK gotta sign off for tonite..

Kathy in Napa

• dodgerdudette
    15 years ago

Think I'll close up shop here and start a new one

{{gwi:163460}}

• oasislive
    13 years ago

Anyone send their kids to a summer camp? We sent our son to West ridge Academy in Utah. Anyone know of any on the east coast?