Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

Perennials that make you happy that you bought them

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

I have had very few disappointments this year in the way of perennials. However, I have some plants that have exceeded my expectations and I'm so happy I bought them.

First up is echinacea 'Sombrero Salsa Red'. I've been very impressed with the Sombrero series in general, but this one wins the prize. Tons of blooms with saturated color on a sturdy, compact plant. What's not to love?

Comments (93)

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

rouge, I actually grow three different yarrow.

Terra Cotta is the latest to bloom and it is pretty floppy. I don't mind, it kind of weaves through my other plants and it's a gorgeous color.

Red Velvet is my tallest and doesn't flop at all. It leans a bit since the area it's in is part sun but that's all.

Pomegranate started blooming in early June and hasn't stopped blooming. Hasn't flopped at all.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    10 years ago

Oenothera missouriensis or Missouri Primrose, is another of my much loved perennials.

I first noticed this plant when I was driving by a church as there were a couple of them in the front garden set well back from the road. But the flash of bright yellow was so pronounced. I held off planting any as I kept reading that it was quite a spreader. But a couple of weeks ago I decided to go ahead with it and I planted it two of them.

10 years ago

duplicate post

This post was edited by rouge21 on Sun, Aug 25, 13 at 9:00

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

Gazania said it very well about the Missouri Eve Primrose. If you get out there and deadhead religiously, then it won't spread. Forget it for a year or two, and you will have seedlings. I like this plant too.

Delphiniums are very nice, and aachenelf's is a great color. Here is a quote about longevity I found I won't say where but it's that other place to chat about gardens:

"How long delphiniums such as Pacific Giants, New Millenniums, which I breed, Magic Fountains etc will live depends mainly on climate. I receive much feedback on this question and can make the following general observations. Where winters are mild and the summers are hot delphiniums are short lived perennials. Where winters are very cold and summers are cool they may well last a lifetime. In Canada and northern USA delphiniums should therefore last many years but as you go further south their life reduces. For instance, where summer highs reach the 90DegF for less than a month some may last, on average, say 2 to 5 years. Much depends on night-time lows, daytime heat and how much humidity you have. High humidity and high temperatures are generally not good for them. I will leave the debate about the merits of different varieties to others as I have a vested interest."

I don't know if any of the other cultivars not mentioned last longer. If you can spend five dollars on a premium annual, why not a little more on a short-lived perennial? Have you been having hot weather in Denmark, weislaw? I hope not for your delph's sake.

I love the Heuchera and the glowy Phlox. And I plan to find a red yarrow soon.

• boday
    10 years ago

John Cabot Rose with isolated blooms. Five years later and over six feet tall, it started doing this. It's now a perennial from a shrub. My rose, my designation.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

aseed - That's very good info about Delphs. Thanks for posting it.

Bummer news - my plant came crashing down last night during a severe thunderstorm with high winds. I thought I had it staked properly, but I guess I didn't. I knew we were in for some severe weather and thought: "I should go check my Delph to make sure it won't blow over." I didn't and it came down.

It's in my house now in a vase. I didn't realize the flower stems were hollow and really very, very weak.

Kevin

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

Kevin, I'm sorry to hear about your delph.

Half my garden is leaning severly or lying down. All this heavy rain has taken a toll. I'm impressed by the few plants that are completely unfazed.

• Ruth_MI
    10 years ago

I was out in the garden tonight thinking how glad I am that I bought Persicaria 'Painter's Palette." Especially for a no-bare-dirt gardener like me, it's an awesome plant.

It seeds around, but seedlings are easy to pull (or you can cut off the nondescript flowers before they go to seed in late fall). It roots easily from cuttings too. It doesn't run, but seems to just end up where I need it.

In some areas it gets taller than I'd prefer, but then I just trim it back...and if I stick the cuttings in the ground and keep them watered, I'll have a new plant.

Wouldn't be without it!

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

Oh, that's too bad, aachenelf. There are some pretty beat up delphs in this town after the storm with the golf ball sized hail that we had last month. They just don't hold up to big winds, and end up looking like a pile of sticks. Arrgh!

I'm really happy I bought the Salvia Purple Rain from the WalMart "We are all done blooming and if we mark these down will someone please buy them" rack last summer. It was so cheap, and it is still blooming and very nice.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

aseed, is Purple Rain a leaner or does it stay upright? I have Salvia plumosa, but that one is so floppy that I will probably replace it.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

I have two 'Purple Rain' Salvia in full sun and they splay open in the middle when they bloom. I grow them in full sun in loamy clay.

• aseedisapromise
    10 years ago

Purple Rain is a flopper. It needs about a five foot circle. But I like it anyway, and in my garden that is fine. It's next to a yarrow, and they lean together like old drinking buddies.

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Ignore. Sorry did not show that the message was sent on my I-Pad.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 22:46

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Duplicate post.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Thu, Aug 8, 13 at 22:44

• mnwsgal
    10 years ago

Kevin, two days ago I cut back my spent delphinium blossom stems. Some already had new growth at the bottoms. All should bloom again later this fall. I no longer bring the blooms inside, though they are lovely they shed mightily. Too messy for me.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

Yes, when I removed the broken stem, I noticed some shorter spikes already blooming. So far, so good with the flowers inside in a vase. No shedding yet, plus now that I have it inside I can really appreciate the color and shape of each flower. You know, I think these flowers are really a true blue.

Kevin

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

Agreed Kevin, some delphs really are blue. I had one that made a 5' tall cobalt blue spike. It was the coolest thing. Sadly it expired when we had construction done nearby and it got trampled, I should have moved it out of the way. Maybe someday I'll find another one like that. I'm glad you are happy with yours, they really are fun plants and they usually do rebloom a bit in the fall.

• donna_in_sask
    10 years ago

That must be why my delphiniums have lived for so long...we're just about as cold as it gets.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

delete

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 23:47

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

delete

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 23:48

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

delete

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 23:49

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

pm, that delph is such a pretty color.

I've never tries 4 o'clocks but it sure is pretty.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

prairiemoon - I am in love with that Delph! I was hoping someone would post a photo or 2 of some of the non traditional colors. It's a bit lighter and airier which I like. Thank you. Now, what about a white one?

The one I have is also from the 'Millenium' series.

Kevin

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

delete

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 23:51

10 years ago

My partner is a bit peeved at me this season as we planted our 4 o'clock too late and all the good sunny spots were taken with my perennials ;).

Here is our wonderful specimen from last summer. It was huge!

Here is a link that might be useful: Monster 4 o'clock

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    10 years ago

The monster 4 o'clock was quite spectacular!

Since a lot of my gardening is in the evening after work, I should look into this plabt more closely.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    10 years ago

Holy cow! That four o'clock is crazy beautiful! I plant annuals in my veggie garden and will have to remember that for next year.

PM2, that delph is gorgeous.

You've all been talking a lot about delphiniums this summer, and realizing that I'm replacing our picket fence this fall and want to take away some of the heavier plantings near it (a huge grass, joe pye, etc....), this thread really has me thinking that what that bed will need are delphiniums. Guess I know what seeds I'll be starting this winter!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

delete

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 23:46

10 years ago

rouge21, that is a very nicely cared for Four O'Clock plant and I see you grew yours in a pot too.

I grew them in containers to make sure I didn't have a problem with them and the containers were on mulch and cement and I collected the seed as it developed and saved it for the next season. I never had a problem or a seedling.

Actually I have never grown them in pots 'prairie' but you have made me now consider such an option as we really don't have any full sun location for such a large annual. Given the size of the tuber root I am imagining it would need to be a large container?

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

delete

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 23:45

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

Aseedisapromise, do not believe a word what you wrote. Longevity, as with people, lies in genes. I have tried them all in one zone, and there was a difference even here. Generally all delphiniums starting with Pacific and ALL DERIVATIVES of them fail to go beyond year two(like magic fountains and alike). If one survives to year 3, CNN arrives to make a program. They just have never been bred for longevity. If you read the history of delphiniums in USA , the original breeders made some huge mistakes, one of them was incorporating short-lived D.exaltatum in their genetic make-up.
    Varieties only involving D. elatum go for at least a decade in public plantings in Germany zone 7 and 8, and England zone 8 and 9.
    One thing that is amazing about this story is , that it is being repeated over and over and over and over and over and over.... by people, who have never tried to grow REAL DELPHINIUMS if you ask them.

• karin_mt
    10 years ago

I dunno Wieslaw, I had Pacific Giant and Magic Fountain thriving here for 9 years until remodel construction wiped them out last fall. In the back gardens, I've had Magic Fountains since 2007. In fact, I thought one was petering out so I moved it to my holding bed where it immediately sprung forth with tons of new growth.

We live in a cool climate and my experience matches what Aseedisapromise posted. So there may be a reason why people are repeating this story... because it is true!

CNN is welcome to come this week because the gardens are really clean and tidy right now. :)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

A quote from a discussion on the another website. Sorry, when I tried to post a link to that website I got a message from GW saying I couldn't do it because of spam attacks. Let's just say the website has the following name associated with it: "Dave". Or you could Google: "Delphinium longevity" and you'll probably find it quickly.

Oh yes, it appears the person who posted this comment is from New Zealand and breeds delphiniums. You'll pick that up in the first sentence.

"How long delphiniums such as Pacific Giants, New Millenniums, which I breed, Magic Fountains etc will live depends mainly on climate. I receive much feedback on this question and can make the following general observations. Where winters are mild and the summers are hot delphiniums are short lived perennials. Where winters are very cold and summers are cool they may well last a lifetime. In Canada and northern USA delphiniums should therefore last many years but as you go further south their life reduces. For instance, where summer highs reach the 90DegF for less than a month some may last, on average, say 2 to 5 years. Much depends on night-time lows, daytime heat and how much humidity you have. High humidity and high temperatures are generally not good for them. I will leave the debate about the merits of different varieties to others as I have a vested interest."

wieslaw stated:
    âÂÂby people, who have never tried to grow REAL DELPHINIUMS if you ask them.âÂÂ

Please explain the difference between a REAL delphinium and one that isn't real? I'm very curious about that.

But the sentence you wrote which really got my attention was this:
    âÂÂAseedisapromise, do not believe a word what you wrote.âÂÂ

Really? So you're calling this person a liar? Yes, I realize there are a couple of people out here who pride themselves in their direct approach and their bluntness and all that, but I believe most people just consider that type of comment rude - just plain rude behavior Not that I think you really care what I think or anyone else for that matter, but it is worth repeating - that was a mind-numbingly rude comment. You certainly post your share of them.

Clearly you know a lot about plants, you have great gardens and all that, but it isn't an excuse to treat people like crap when you feel like it. It simply isn't. And just to be clear, had I posted what Aseedisapromise posted and you made your comment to me, my feelings would not have been hurt. It's not about feelings, it's about rudeness - plain and simple.

Kevin

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

Kevin, please do not put words in my mouth I have never said. You are NOT an american policeman from an action movie. Just because I said: "do not believe a word" does not imply I said it was a lie. It can just mean that it is not a truth. These are two completely different things. Lie implies that somebody says it on purpose to deceive another person. So start reading with understanding and stop making a storm in a glass of water.

Just because somebody is from New Zealand is not synonymous with that the words of the person should be treated as gospel. I have found many a delphinium breeder from Europe whose experiences are exactly like mine. Unlike the person you refer to, my experiences are my own- thus reliable.

My question to you is: have you bred pure elatum delphiniums? If not, you are not entitled to make a scene here . So keep your outrages for better times, when there is reason for it. Not here.

This post was edited by wieslaw59 on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 17:04

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

delete

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 23:43

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

Prerieriemoon, you are always extremely quick to judge me, I suspect you to be the moderator who always send me strange notes while deleting my posts even without reading and trying to understand them. You have always been very partial against me, so no surprise here.

So basically what you're saying is : if I see somebody is writing pure nonsense , you suggest I keep my mouth shut? Who is supposed to be better off with such situation??
    How I diminish somebody by correcting an error/mistake? Explain please.

This post was edited by wieslaw59 on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 18:05

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

PrairieM - I appreciate you are trying to act as peacemaker here but I am also smarting at the implied differences because someone is writing from another country.....with the implication that we must moderate our posts to accommodate a particularly American sensibility. I know it is often commented upon that we, in Europe, do things differently....and that may well be the case but I am not aware that GardenWeb is solely for the delectation of Americans and have no desire to go along with national stereotyping either.
    Guess we all feel a bit picky sometimes and I was surprsied to find myself bridling at your comment (as I am nothing if not forthright and even quite rude myself)....but I also felt that it is good to be reminded that anyone can be offended by anything and it would probably be best if we just lightened up a little bit.

It is only plants, and, much as we care about them intensely, we are not calling anyone an ignorant peasant with bad skin and ugly children....and such like.

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

PrairieM
    and now i am re-reading without the steam (which was coming off the top of my head) wafting in my eyes (and the flames outa my nostrils just cleared too) to see how you merely meant different geographical conditions.....but, such is the ease of misunderstanding and consequent rushes of blood (clearly not reaching the brain though) that yet again, I have to scoff more humble pie (good job there is a handy packet of biscuits next to my keyboard to remove the taste of ashes from my mouth - slightly overdramatic...and I am now waffling.........

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

delete

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 23:42

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

Campanula, I do read in sequence and just had to delete my response to your first post.... :-) :-)

Have a little clotted cream and jam with those biscuits, or is that with scones? :-)

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

Prairiemoon, Aseedisapromise was not saying anything, she was quoting the same quote which led to a major fight started by another person some months ago in another thread. The quote is basically not true seen with my eyes and many other persons' eyes. It disqualifies generally delfiniums as long-lived plants based only on experiences on short-lived plants. For me it is a no- brainer. Not diminishing anybody .
    You have not answered my question how and when I diminished anybody.

I have never attacked anybody with accusations of being rude and other horrible things , so do not compare my direct approach to Kevin's fierce and savage , totally misplaced fit of madness. There is a limit here what can be compared and what is beyond comparison. I would never lower myself to such thing.

This post was edited by wieslaw59 on Sun, Aug 11, 13 at 20:59

• Campanula UK Z8
    10 years ago

Hmmmm, jam - a sore point at this time of year after the endlessly backbreaking efforts in the blackcurrants (and myriad others - why I thought we needed dozens of them??). All that stirring and poking with wooden spoons, waiting for the elusive setting point, getting sweaty, sweary, and cross over a steaming, over-topping preserving pan (and the inevitable scouring and scrubbing of burnt jam off the cooker). The entire jam-making fiasco is one of my annual rants.....so, I would be sticking to chocolate spread (if they were scones)....but am forgetting, biscuits means summat different over there (cookies?) so mine are already generously spread with chocolate......to sweeten my bitter nature.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

delete

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia - Delphinium

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 17:39

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

delete

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 23:39

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

Prairiemoon, I decided not to make more comments on delphiniums. There will always be somebody new, who will drag it forward again anyway, so there is no sense in it.

Second language??? English is actually my fourth language and I'm selftaught. Nevertheless it was assessed to be good enough to appoint me to be a global moderator on an US-based international forum in another branch. And let me tell you: although the Americans are in minority there, it is the most offended group of all (Australians runner-up). Nothing is too small to feel offended about,it seems like they love to feel offended. Nothing is too small to cause a stir. No opportunity is missed to feel offended, no matter how small, it's like they are fault finders or something.They try to find something that is not there. And then they use half an hour to tell each other what they actually meant and what they did not mean. Nobody else does it. The Dutch ones do not even have a word for sorry. So no, you are not right even on this account, either. And they remember being offended like elephants: til the day they die.

As far as the Kevin's attack on me is concerned: it surprises me that you cannot see that it was totally unfounded and out of place. You seem to only notice "my sins".

This post was edited by wieslaw59 on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 1:20

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    10 years ago

delete

This post was edited by prairiemoon2 on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 17:36

• wieslaw59
    10 years ago

I do not feel any discussion with you will lead to anything constructive. You contradict yourself again and again. Maybe instead of giving me lectures on what I do and what I do not do you should look inside yourself , because something obviously is not working as it should. I have noticed it long ago, and you just confirmed it. And do not pretend you do not like it and you stay away from it. You are always number one at the kill. So stop polishing your glory , you have none.

Talk about rudeness.

You gave me a benefit of a doubt???? We are not in the court of law here and I'm not charged with anything yet. And you are not a judge as far as I know. You are absolutely in no position of giving me any form of benefit of a doubt. Your confusion is blown out of any reasonable proportions. What nerve! I do not need your benefit , you can take it back and I'm too polite to write what exactly you can do with it, but have a lot of fun with it. You definitely deserve it.

And it was not I who highjacked the thread. It was you and Kevin who made it all about me. I did not ask for it. So stop talking nonsence. You ridicule yourself. Whatever you think you're doing, it is not working.

This post was edited by wieslaw59 on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 12:51

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    10 years ago

OK? Probably the best thing to do is put this one to bed. Enough said, but I did read all the responses - several times - just for the record.

prairiemoon - You put an incredible amount of time and effort into trying to sort this all out. Thank you.

Kevin

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

Something that worked in the past when word wars broke out: just stop posting. Eventually the thread dies a natural and usually welcome death.
    Funny thing is, the old thread sometimes pops up again months or years later because some unsuspecting soul has done a "search" and come across the original topic. Unbeknownst to them, they re-activate the hornet's nest.
    Perhaps we could start the topic afresh with a slightly different name.Anyone who wants to keep fighting can talk to themselves here.
    But you really have to restrain yourself from even posting "thanks" or "good idea" or "you stink" Every post brings it back to the top again.
    My two cents worth ....

10 years ago

aseedisapromise:

Gazania said it very well about the Missouri Eve Primrose

You know how there is the 'great' debate re. a true blue flower. Well it seems cut and dried to me that the Missouri Primrose is the poster child for true yellow. I was out this morning and this young plant had two so sunny yellow blooms.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES