Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

State the most recent 3 perennials that went in the ground

I probably have had plants in pots (purchased from a nursery) outside my door since late April. Of course I have planted so many this season but I have never been able to fully complete the planting...until today! As of 3 pm I have no more plants purchased in 2012 that have not found a home in the ground. I am a bit sad but I can say that I will purchase no more this season. I am done. The last 3 that found homes in my garden were:

- triloba "Prairie Glow"

- hydrangea "Tuff Stuff"

- hakonechloa macra "All Gold"

I am curious as to what you have most recently planted.

Comments (39)

• wieslaw59
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Does moving plants count too? Of the bought ones I planted Aconogonum sericeum, Geranium Patricia and Delphinium Sonnenwind.

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If we include 'shuffling the deck' i.e. moving plants around the garden then I might not be done until November 1st!

I was just thinking of the last 3 plants purchased in 2012.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

I actually finished very early this year - June 26. Not because I didn't have areas that could still have been planted, but I just ran out of energy.

The final three things I planted were actually Dahlias - Arabian Night. The last three perennials I planted were Anthemis sancti-johannis, all of which I lost (I have another stand that I planted last year which is doing splendidly), Hemerocallis 'Show Girl', which has put on new growth but won't flower until next year and Achillea millefolium 'red velvet' which is a very pretty yarrow.

Original Author
    11 years ago

You are lucky a2zmom in that you still have open space which can take more plants. I truly have run out of garden space. It was exciting this summer as early in the spring I hand dug up a section of my lawn for perennial garden which gave me virgin territory to plan and plant. But that's now done.

• a2zmom_Z6_NJ
    11 years ago

My newest bed (pictures forthcoming!) still has space because not everything I planted survived. And I've decided to expand my front bed by taking away more of the weeds that currently passes for lawn.

And I just realized that I ordered three daylilies that will be showing up in the fall. So I guess I'm not completely done plating for the season.

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

Wild Berry Echinacea and Pow Wow White. Thinking of digging up my Little Lamb hydrangea and replacing with Little Lime. I forgot, I planted some Emcore AzLeas. Oh wait, the last two aren't perennials but they do flower and are in my perennial beds.

Original Author
    11 years ago

mollydog, after really liking 'Wild Berry' last year I bought 3 'Pow Wow Whites' this season...the white petals coupled with the golden cone is an outstanding colour combination.

('Little Lime' will be lots smaller than 'Little Lamb'?)

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    11 years ago

I just tucked in a few plants from my pot ghetto this afternoon. I planted:

Chrysanthemum 'Cathy's Rust'
    Chrysanthemum 'Will's Wonderful'
    Aster 'Fanny'
    Aster 'Raydon's Favorite'
    A few sedum cuttings of various types

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

Rouge, I'm just not happy with LL's floppiness and browning flowers before they turn pink. I love my Little Lime.

• gazania_gw
    11 years ago

This has been a lean year for planting new perennials for me. I am out of space and have successfully (so far) convinced myself to quit digging. What I did find room for after removing a couple of ornamental grasses that had outgrown their space, was:
    3 Dianthus Neon Star
    2 Phlox Nicky
    3 Euphorbia Bonfire
    I already had all of these in different areas in my many beds and love them. Good reliable performers and offer color from April through August.

Original Author
    11 years ago

gazania wrote: I already had all of these in different areas in my many beds and love them.

I do this as well, maybe too well i.e. I get stuck on a few perennials (albeit good ones) and use them in multiple gardens on my property.

• rusty_blackhaw
    11 years ago

Ohio.

Original Author
    11 years ago

mollydog wrote: I love my Little Lime.

I don't recall ever seeing a negative review of "Little Lime".

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    11 years ago

"...I was just thinking of the last 3 plants purchased in 2012..."

Does it have to be purchased in 2012? I have stuff that I bought over five years ago still sitting in pots, lol, and not sure of the purchase date of what I planted this year. I'm just happy I finally got something - anything - in the ground!

Last three things:

red monarda from swap
    yellow/orange coreopsis from swap
    A helenium whose name I can't remember off the top of my head

Hoping to get a few more plants in the ground when it cools off later in the season.

Dee

• booberry85
    11 years ago

I just gutted and redid part of my front flower bed. I used mostly plants I already had. I I did buy a purple and a white echinacea from Lowes today. They just went in the ground this afternoon. Last week I received an order of Irises. The last iris to go into the ground was Mary Frances.

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    11 years ago

That must feel good to be able to say you have everything planted. I wouldn't know about that.

The most recently planted was a Ninebark shrub, which I'm watering every other day after it showed signs of stress, and two Spireas 'Magic Carpet' that I got for a really good price, which are in part shade and adapting well even in the heat.

I'm waiting for some cloudy days or the heat to break to get in the rest of what I've collected so far. I have echinaceas, a willow shrub, five astilbes, geraniums, and things I potted up from winter sowing waiting to go in.

• pam_whitbyon
    11 years ago

Last three in the ground:

Echinacea Mama Mia
    Salvia Nemerosa "Sensation Deep Blue"
    Russian Sage "Little Spire"

The russian sage I already had in my garden seems to be a weird variety that flowers about a month later than everyone else's in this area, and on top of that, its growth habit isn't that attractive. Just an array of sprawling branches in every direction. So I bought three that look very upright and normal, lol, hopefully they'll stay like that.

My garden has been a pathetic mess of brown shrivelled things this summer. I haven't kept up with the watering as much as I should have, and lost a few things. Joe Pye Weed and large bushes of Phlox just shrivelled up and died, and a lot of my echinacea, the normal standard pink ones, just bloomed with hardly any petals. I'm thinking it was lack of water.

• freki
    11 years ago

I was good this year & got everything in before the middle of June. This rarely happens :-)

-red anemone
    -red mountain iceplant
    -wormwood

were the last three

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

Achillea Desert Cream - our local cemetary has been leaving the grass uncut this summer and it is a truly beautiful sight with heaps of yarrow, knapweeds, scabious......I walk the elderly collie at dusk - so beautiful then, I had to get aome achillea for my little gravel garden.
    Salvia greggii - Nachtvlinder (night moth)- I have a few greggii and jamensis cultivars - terribly addictive.Deep plummy purple - looks fantastic with indigofera heterantha and elymus magellanicus
    Campanula punctata albiflora - a present from daughter - went in next to the thalictrums. A good robust campanula.

• gottagarden
    11 years ago

clearance sale at home depot
    veronica giles van hees
    veronica darwins blue
    veronica high five

I like veronicas!

• gottagarden
    11 years ago

clearance sale at home depot
    veronica giles van hees
    veronica darwins blue
    veronica high five

I like veronicas!

• gardenweed_z6a
    11 years ago

During a week of multiple rain storms the end of July I planted a few winter sown shade perennials:

Polemonium/Jacobs ladder
    Persicaria 'Painters Palette'
    Anemone hupehensis/Japanese anemone

The anemone is a new one for me but the Jacobs ladder & persicaria both thrived their first year (2011) so I added more of each in a couple different beds for texture/contrast.

Barring more wet weather as the summer winds down, the remainder of winter sown perennials will either spend the winter, dormant, inside the garage and get planted next spring or they'll go in the ground Sept-Oct. There are still about 100 pots of them lined up waiting for the best planting conditions.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I have several 'Painters Palette'. For sure incredible foliage. But keep an eye on its spread as offspring appear all over.

• echinaceamaniac
    11 years ago

1.) Echinacea Sombrero 'Salsa Red'
    2.) Echinacea Sombrero 'Hot Coral'
    3.) Echinacea Sombrero 'Sandy Yellow'

Love these!

• sharoncl
    11 years ago

Physocarpus 'Little Devil' (ninebark)
    Heuchera 'Cherry Cola'
    Heuchera 'Midnight Bayou'

I'm a sucker for dark foliage.

Original Author
    11 years ago

I take it echinaceamaniac that your property still has lots of space and mostly a sunny aspect? I say this as you always seem to be adding more and more coneflowers!

• MollyDog
    11 years ago

Does Hakonechloa macra 'aureola' count? I needed a touch of sunshine in my one shade garden so I drove about 50 miles round trip to get it! And it is beautiful!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Of course that counts mollydog! And you sound so much like me i.e. driving way too far, spending more money on gas than likely the plant cost!

(Btw, for my shady areas I decided, this season, to instead go with Hakonechloa 'All Gold' grass)

• echinaceamaniac
    11 years ago

I have nothing but full sun mostly. There are a few spots shaded by the house though. I do love my coneflowers. LOL.

Original Author
    11 years ago

And so just today 3 more went into the ground:

- Oenothera fremontii 'Shimmer'

- Thalictrum aquilegiifolium 'Sparkler'

- Thalictrum delavayi 'Hewett's Double'

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    11 years ago

Rouge21,

Glad to see you have decided to give Thalictrum 'Hewitt's Double' a chance. It has a different garden presence than 'Spendide' since the flower panicles are very dense.

The last three things I planted (yesterday):

Yucca 'Color Guard'
    Aster tartaricus 'Jin Dai'
    Stipa (Calamagrostis) brachytricha

I have a few things from fall sales arriving to plant next week: Anemone 'Honorine Jobert', Aster divaricatus 'Eastern Star', Pycnanthemum muticum, Solidago 'Golden Fleece' and sedums.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes thank you ispahan for your encouragement re 'Hewitt's Double'.

I have wanted to include a Yucca...particularly 'Color Guard' in my garden (as I recall it is echinacemaniac that sings its praises) but it is too large for my very limited sized sun garden.

I have attached a picture of my 4 foot 'Honorine Jobert'. It is just this week starting to bloom.

Original Author
    11 years ago

A close-up of these same blooms:

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

mmmm, me too
    agapanthus Profusion
    agapanthus Liam's Lilac
    gaura Siskyou pink

and a whole heap of pinks.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting campanula. I saw an agapanthus of some sort in a nearby nursery but I always assumed it was a tropical sort which needed to be overwintered indoors. I know nothing of this plant but now I wonder, with protection can some/any varieties make it through a zone 5 winter?

• Campanula UK Z8
    11 years ago

well, Rouge, they are traditionally grown in pots as they always seem happy with the root restriction and some agapanthus are hardier than others. Like penstemons, thinner leaved ones tend to be hardier than the wide leaved africanus types. There was a seed raised variety in the UK (Headbourne hybrids) which demonstrated impressive hardiness but they have gone off the boil a bit. Like many so-called tropicals, it is not the cold but winter wet which does them in so I would suggest that if you want to try these lovely late season blues and whites, start off with pot grown ones which will overwinter in a garage and then maybe grow some of the smaller (and more reliable) dwarf ones such as Peter Pan or Lilliput in a gravelly mix with a good bark mulch. Also, you probably want to avoid the evergreen ones and go for the deciduous types.
    I grow mine on gravel/scree beds which get no irrigation once established - they survived our awful winter last year (although I did lose a large A.inapertus 'Loch Hope').

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

For me, it has been mostly shrubs and hosta. Today I planted three viburnum (nudum Winterthur, dentatum Blue Muffin, and prunifolium Big Pink), two Calycanthus floridus, and a Clethra plus several hosta.

Would love to put in some more anemones. Maybe next week! ;)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Just threw the last nursery bought perennial into the ground: "Bronze Peacock" Rodgersia.

• gringo
    11 years ago

Well, being that I'm in zone 8, I'm still sowing seeds! Does 're-potting' count? In that case, because the usually rather dry September & October has turned into heavy downpours.... I potted up the newer 'Hidcote' Lavender, in lean well drained pot. Hoping it is as intense violet as one I had in the past which drowned/rotted in the typical ground up pine bark, that most perennials seem to be sold in, these days.
    I'm figuring out, that must be what kills off my Oriental Poppiy cultivars & by the time they ship them, it seems late & they don't like being transplanred bareroot, nor peat mix when potted & don't like disturbance after leafing out. So that's always a problem. Besides, I'm just finishing uo, with mail ordering!
    I'm almost ready to plant some Scabiosa caucasica 'Fama Deep Blue' sown about a month ago & some 'bearded' Dianthus thay has some extra long fringed petals, even more so than 'Spooky'. Seems fortunate that I got some free seeds, from a nearby local planting, as I can't locate a source- just a few photos on the 'net!
    I bought some 'Coral Reef' Oriental Poppies from High Country Gardens & hope they are as pink as shown in the catalog. Bluestone, has gone to single coco peat & no longer offers three packs AFAIK & besides, when it did finally bloom, it was half pale orange & they explained it away, as "that's why they call it coral"- huh? I said pink coral is just that- pink! But they replaced it with an Eryngium, that didn't seem to be the 'Sapphire Blue' that others seemed to grow...
    But maybe the Eryngium alpinum roots I ordered will be more satisfactory, next year. Thompson & Morgan , since being overtaken & bought out, still doesn't have seeds in stock, of the one I really want; 'Blue Lace'.
    Meanwhile, Van Bourgondiens moved out of State & sold off & at least I don't have to pay sales tax anymore, but maybe I'll wait until next month for something from there.
    I'd have planted some New Zealand hybrid Delphiniums by now, but the price per plant, really gets to me & I sowed seeds from Jung anyway. Maybe spring is better for ordering & planting potted ones...
    I do have Fiona Coghill Daisy on the way, so that will go in the ground upon arrival, as will Hot Papaya' coneflower & a newer(?) phlox 'Tiara' that's a double white. 'Blue Paradise' & 'Nicky/Dusterlohe' would have been bought but I need to move them from the previous residence & are fabulous in flower.
    I don't know if Dicentra ' Burning Heart'(?) made it through the summer, but I'll have to see about that, later.
    I'm going to plant Peony 'Duchess de Nemours, as soon as it arives. I've a tree type(suffruticosa) 'Hanakisoi, that definitely needs planting. I'm surprised it stayed in leaf, this long.
    Well, I've still got Colorado Columbines I need to sow, for transplanting when it gets cold, cold. The McKanas just came up & aren't ready yet.
    Snapdragons are perennial here & I go for the All American Selection tall ones ( forgot the cv. name, but Park seed has them... & try sowing some Tetra mix tomorrow, which are tall also.
    Just got around to sowing the, Forget-me-nots in with Angelique Tulips (#1 Planted!),'Excelsior' or 'Shirley' Foxgloves & 'Cup & Saucer' Canterbury Bells, even if they aren't really perennials.
    Not sure what to mix with 'Blue Parrot' Tulips (#2 planted!), as they're actually more deep lilac. Any suggestions? Maybe I should have interplanted using the Papaver alpinum, from Ed Hume seeds...
    I have no idea what to coordinate with the Sweet Sultan, (Bavicchi seeds, from Italian Tool website.) Maybe the Lavandula 'Hidcote Superior', though if I'd bought yellow Centaurea moschata 'Dairy Maid' instead. Darn it...
    Well, the Moon flower (Ipomea) just grew roots through the bottom of the pot & don't want to disturb it, just to plant it. Do the roots get stored? I dunno, do they just get planted dormant & sorta comeback, like Jalapa 'Four O'clocks',maybe?
    If I could locate some Anchusa 'Loddon Royalist' I'd plant that, as regular azurea species gets so tall. Most people are planting Pansies around here & so I'm behind, as I sowed 'Chalon Supreme' & some 'Pettycoat'. I could have covered the dormant Anchusa, with these.
    I guess I could plant (finally, here it is, #3!) 'Nelly Moser' Clematis I got on sale for 3 or $4 from Lowe's, tomorrow, but I've also got to put in an old 'Harry Lauders' Wlaking stick or Corylus contorta, that someone discarded, simply because it had suckered after some years. Why not save about $40. on a free one. Could you resist it? lol
    Happy growing to all.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County