Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grey water matters

Posted by dirty_james (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 29, 06 at 13:30

Natural and organic detergents list "natural surfactants" in their ingredients. I think these chemicals fall under the catagory of sapponins, and that they evolved for plant defense mechanisms. So I thought they would be a prime candidate to handle the somewhat harsh detergent conditions of the dirty/grey water I'm trying to recycle.

Basically I'm wanting to know which plants you reccomend for sapponins. Will the plants make use of the detergents that I'm throwing in the water, or will they fight back and make even harsher water conditions/die.

The main goal here is to take soapy water and make it safe for plants and fish. A secondary goal maybe to harvest the plants for their detergents if anyone knows about sapponin extraction/purification. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grey water matters

g'day dirty_james,

all our grey water goes directly to food trees and food gardens and all plant thrive plus the worms they simply love the stuff.

we make our own homemade washing detergent and use an earth friendlt dish detergent (by hand method got no time for washers), the homemade stuff gets used as hand wash surface cleaner in the washing machine pretty much anywhere we need to clean. we did drop out the essential oil in prefference to adding more eucalyptust oil just love that aroma.

deliver the water direct to the needed area do not store it for anytime all that does it makes it go smelly and deteriorates it in our books. we run it under the mulch so as not to have any evaporation.

anyhow the recipe feature on our remedies page.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens agrden page

o
RE: Grey water matters

Hello Dirty_James,
I don't know much about sapponins (except for quinoa)

For water purification, the only plant I can recommend from experience is cattails. They grow in almost any kind of water, and turn it into lush growth. That is what we are using in our greywater system, a four-square-meter unlined wetland on a sandy loam. Before I planted a single cattail tuber last spring, it had sealed itself up with a biomat scum and threatened to overflow. But the cattail just broke through all that, spread all through the wetland, and generally looked pretty nice. Lots better than the slimy gray hole it was last winter. Other plants in my wetland are irises, spearamint, a small willow, and a few tomatoes that must have come down the kitchen drain as seeds. Then there are the ones I just don't know what they are.
One thing I have to mention- my goal is not to hold the water, just to treat it

I don't know if any of the plants at the link below would be able to absorb saponins from the environment, but I would be interested in knowing your results if you give them a try.

Eric in Japan

Here is a link that might be useful: Saponin plants list on Wikipedia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here