Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gooseberryfool

Urine as Fertilizer - Many applications.

gooseberryfool
13 years ago

I may have posted in the wrong forum before and this might be the better place. I'm sorry.

I am looking into using this more and would love for those who use urine as fertilizer to join in. Please, if you have nothing good to say about it, don't bother posting, I just want to talk with those who are familiar or interested in it to participate.

We are already adding it straight, to the compost pile.

We have begun applying it to the empty garden beds this winter. The garden beds are thickly covered in straw, and we are applying it gradually over the beds so that the straw will break down a bit to be ready for spring planting.

I have used it in a 1/10 ratio for potted plants to green them up.

Specifically I am wondering right now about how to use it for blueberries.

I have alkaline soil and need to amend it well to plant them. I wonder if I can make my clay soil, 6.5 PH, hospitable to blueberry bushes by mixing sawdust, which is free for our taking down the road, into the soil, using additional sawdust as thick mulch on top, and applying urine to keep the nitrogen levels good.

But I'm finding no information yet on how to do that exactly.

I would appreciate any discussion on the subject of urine as fertilizer.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• gardenlen
    13 years ago

my urine gets used in the garden usually mixed with kitchen water, i do this daily, water it around the root zone of the plants.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

• morethornsthnflowers
    13 years ago

I use diluted urine both on my compost pile and on garden beds and under fruit trees. However, I don't use it on the blueberries. Blueberries are very sensitive to the amount and form of nitrogen and it burns them right up. Once the urine penetrates to the root zone your blueberries would be in trouble. Don't mix the sawdust into the soil - it will deplete the nitrogen. Instead use sulphur to change the ph of the soil.

You can use sawdust as a mulch and it will gradually improve the soil. W would also combine the sawdust as a carbon source and urine as a nitrogen source away from the blueberries and only apply it after it has somewhat composted.

• Belgianpup
    13 years ago

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone with neutral or alkaline soil who was able to keep it acidic enough for blueberries. I think you would be better off planting them in large pots where you can control the soil better. Blueberries not only require acidic soil, but they also need magnesium, which you can deliver in the form of Epsom Salts.

Also check the pH of your water. Most places with alkaline soil have alkaline water, and the same goes for acid soil and water.

Morethornsthnflowrs was right on with the advice on nitrogen and blueberries.

Sue

• rich3800_netzero_net
    12 years ago

That explains why my blueberries died...

• Belgianpup
    12 years ago

What I would like to know is what ELSE is usually in human urine. I know it is likely to be different with different diets, but even the basics would be helpful. People seem to just talk about nitrogen, and I'm sure it can't be ALL nitrogen! Phosphorus? Potassium? Magnesium? Calcium? Sulfur? Boron?

• Belgianpup
    12 years ago

I finally found some useful facts about human urine as a fertilizer.

"... urine is rich in valuable plant nutrients and can be considered a liquid fertilizer... Within a period of one year, an average person excretes almost 6 kg of pure plant nutrients via urine. This is almost equivalent to the amount of nutrients contained in 15 kg (33 lbs) of compound NPK+ fertilizer."

The approximate amount of nutrients the average person produces in their urine...

Nitrogen: 7 grams per litre (think quart); 3.5 kg (7.7 lbs) per year
    Phosphorus: 1 gram per litre; 0.5 kg (1.1 lbs) per year
    Potassium: 2 grams per litre; 1.0 kg (2.2 lbs) per year
    Sulphur: 1 grams per litre; 0.5 kg (1.1 lbs) per year
    Magnesium: 80 mg per litre; 40 grams (1.4 oz) per year
    Calcium: 200 mg per litre; 100 grams (3.5 oz) per year

Makes you think, doesn't it? Not only do we waste these nutrients, but we waste purified drinking water to wash it into the septic or sewer system!

The source of this info is in the link below.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Fertilizing with human urine

• memphisp83
    11 years ago

Great info belgianpup. Urine coverts into ammonia nitrate (nitrate nitrogen) after roughly 24 hours, and everything i have ever read said DO NOT use nitrate nitrogen on blueberry plants. As mentioned, use sulphur to lower the ph of soil, along with peat moss which has an average PH of around 3 or 4. Urine I'm sure is great for many plants (diluted of course, and not after drinking alcohol) but I would not recomment it for blueberry plants. I also agree with the suggestion of planting your blueberry plants in pots, I have had success for many years and great harvests planting them in containers with peat moss, perlite, some regular topsoil, and a few tablespoons on sulphur granules mixed in at planting. Add a couple tablespoons or a little more each spring and work in the top layer of dirt right before a rain, or water afterwards.

• gardenlen
    11 years ago

dunno about blueberries but my urine gets used everywhere, general dilution(to aid sharing it around) app' 1/4 to 13 10 litre bucket mixed with other grey water.

when we water it is only the root zone not the foliage.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens bale garden

• HU-626012341
    last year

I like to use wood chips versus sawdust for mulch. When I used sawdust because that was available and free, it actually choked out the plants. Whereby the wood chips allowed moisture to seep through the air pockets created by the chips.

I have seen sawdust used for bedding for animals like chickens, rabbits and cattle. Then it gets moved into creating composting.

Sponsored