Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhousekendra

Did original owner follow permacuture? Help me solve mystery!

greenhousekendra
13 years ago

Hello,

I don�t know anything about permaculture and have just lately been reading a little about it. I hope those of you that know about it can give me some advice. About a year and a half ago we moved into a home that has an orchard ~70 apple trees 3 pear, 3 peach, wild blackberry bushes , 1 black walnut, 3 huge weeping willows, many pines, 3 crabapple trees, and all kinds of bushes and flowers. The orchard has always been organic, no spray by the past owners (7yrs), but it was not them that planted the trees. The trees were planted about 15-20 yrs ago � also never sprayed to our knowledge.

Watching everything grow this past year has been a learning experience. I am a gardner and I do companion planting but I don�t know anything about fruit trees. I noticed throughout the year that different flowers grew around certain trees, garlic/chives under the apple trees, clove patch areas, parsley by the roses etc. The house is on the North side of the property at the highest level on the hill. The backyard slopes down North - South and from West to East. I also noticed that the trees are planted in rows N-S on a slight hill. The ground in that area sort of dips in, and when it rains all the water moves toward the orchard. The peach trees were planted higher on the hill, separate from the apple trees. There are also two separate lonely apple trees up higher on the hill where the deer seem to gather. The Weeping Willows are to the East where water tends to go and the pines are on the west and south in rows like a wall. The blackberry bushes and walnut are by the south fence next to the pines. I planted my raised bed garden closer to the house where there is little shade. My neighbor told me that a small creek passed by the SE corner of the orchard. The original owners kept the orchard in a forest-like condition. Were these trees planted where they are for a reason? Do you think the original owner followed permaculture priciples? How can I continue to make it better?

We will need to replace the peach trees and add some berry bushes this year and I�d like to add some more fruit trees in the future. I want to be able to add for a reason and a purpose. I hope to learn more and put it to practice in the back yard. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH