Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hi all! I'm ready to start implementing my designs!

Posted by herbal z8 SC (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 4, 03 at 20:41

I've been out of commission for a while. That whole depression/finances/family drama that can really tear you down. But I'm back, and with a new attitude!
My first project is the hoop house (notice it's January). I know it doesn't seem very sustainable, but it's small 12x 20, and it'll keep me in food 12 months a year. There's nothing more sustainable than that! Also, it gets very hot in the summer, so I"LL be able to put a netting over it to keep me from watering every two minutes like last summer, which is partially responsible for my depression. After all my hard work, only 1/4 of what Iplanted produced! I was, and still am devestated. You never really believe it'll happen to you. All of my commercial fertilizer friendly neighbors practically snickered at my sad organic garden. But, I'm OK. I'm taking it one step at a time, and am approaching this with a whole nother method: money! I'll pay for a soil test this time and buy some organic soil amendments, plus I have a garbage can full of compost. Plus a big prayer ceremony, and perhaps I'll have broccoli plants that produce more than leaves. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hi all! I'm ready to start implementing my designs!

Anything (within reason) that lets you harvest all year is a good start! Ours is being reconfigured and moved so I will have to wait till spring to plant. A soil test is really helpful and worth the money. Think of it as an investment or a good tool.

Lee AKA Fireraven9
January is here, with eyes that keenly glow,
A frost-mailed warrior
striding a shadowy steed of snow. - Edgar Fawcett

o

EVEN THOUGH YOUR GARDEN LAST YR DIDN'T PRODUCE AS MUCH FOOD AS YOU HAD HOPED,IT STILL GAVE YOU LOTS OF NEW KNOWLEDGE ...THAT'S STILL A GOOD HARVEST!
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.K

o

Herbal,
It sounds as though you need to to some deep research on growing vegtables in the south. With the exception of melons, okra, sweet potatoes, peppers all other crops are either winter grown or havested and frozen/canned by the end of June. You have to be astute in your seed selections. It takes a lot of study, experimenting and talking to old timers in the area to grow successful crops. For instance, the best variety of corn is Silver Queen. Tomatoes and sweet peppers should be grown where they receive afternoon shade. To date the search is still on for a tomato that will produce well during the hot summers. Lots of promises in the catalogs but that is all they are. Southern nematodes are a problem. Plant veggies with a handful of granulated sugar which will repel them. Heavy applications of straw mulch for vegetable plants in the ground should reduce watering needs. If the greenhouse watering is too much for you consider setting up a drip irrigation system to water the pots. Just a few thoughts on the difficulties of southern vegetable gardening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here