Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
troy1126

Regrade to level yard, HOW?

troy1126
20 years ago

I have a significant downward slop from my backyard. I want to level it out so my newly walking twins can use the yard.

How would I go about doing this? By the way, the home came with a 6 foot privacy fence around the yard.

Any help would be appreciated....

Comments (6)

• nitasher
    20 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the slope. Within months those babies of yours won't have any problem with the grade of the land or the fence. The slope would add interest to your yard and many play opportunities for children.

'Nita

• hemnancy
    20 years ago

If you wanted a flat area for them to play on, you might consider cutting into the slope at some point and building a retaining wall, then moving the dirt excavated for the wall down to bring up the level further down the slope. That might also require another retaining wall. There are mortarless concrete blocks for retaining walls now. You might not want too high a wall for them to fall off of, though. You could plant trailing plants or rock garden plants on the retaining wall. You might need stairs or a curving switch-back path to get down to the next level.

• Eric_Burke
    20 years ago

I agree with NitaSher, your twins will probably learn to navigate slopes before you can regrade and plant on it. And remember the fun of rolling down a hill? You wouldn't want to deny them that pleasure, would you? (Of course, if the slope is rocks and trees, I don't advise rolling down it, but I think that is only common sense ;)

• chadb
    19 years ago

I have St. Augustine grass with a sprinkler system and the ground has broken down and left a divot. What should I do to level the yard back out?

Any help would be appreciated....

• smyers
    17 years ago

We have brought in about 250 yard of fill, then loom, ghen grass seed and hay and now are waiting anxiously for the ground to solitify enough to get onto it. Bringing in this much fill has made a sliped off banking if you will on the roadside, the yard came up about 4 ft from the road now we're considering what to do in that area so that it won't all drop. My husband was going to build a rock wall but hasn't hadthe time to finish it and the kids in the neighborhood were too interested in removing them as fast as he could put them up LOL
    So if anyone has any ideas on what to do in that aea it would be great. I don't want it to become a weed bed either but I would assume it needs something to retain it

• asjohnson_comcast_net
    16 years ago

I am doing new construction/grading on a sloped site, and am wondering what is the maximum grade feasible for a playing area (including soccer, football, baseball). I am not interested in an official filed, just a slope that does not interfere with play. Is 5-6% too steep?
    Any advice is welcome!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths