Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dzen_gw

Grey water and pond

dzen
21 years ago

If one were to build a small pond to collect rooftop drainage and grey water, and irrigate with the pond water (so there would be a somewhat constant flow into and out of the pond), how large would it need to be to keep it biologically balanced(so it would support fish and plants without getting algae-infested)? How about filtering the grey water through an artificial bog (with an impermeable liner) before it gets to the pond? What's the best way to build a pond so it can act as a storage reservoir and not be too unsightly when its water level is low (during dry periods)? Ahh winter, time to dream.

Comments (4)

• DDFirstLight
    21 years ago

Planting reeds and or pussy willows (also pretty and a good hider as you wanted) is one of the best ways to filter water. Kind of like a natural brillo pad! LOL Be careful about how much in the way of oils (cooking, detergents, shampoos, soaps etc.) go through with the grey water so you don't get a scum problem that can cut off air flow into the water etc. and besides making it hard for the fish will do alot of damage as to making the pond want to turn into an algea tank. We usually plant several feet of reeds where the pipe ends and then wind and snake the flow throught he reeds before it gets to the holding pond, with the reeds coming on into the pond a ways too. They also provide good shelter for the fish etc. I am sure there are all kinds of filters etc. that you can use, but in general I have not found them necesary.

As to size, that is too big a topic for me here, it would depend on depth, soil type, average rainfall, average hottest and coldest and for how long, soil percolation, etc., etc., etc. Sorry but I couldn't help with that part although I am sure that there are others who may be able to help with it.

A good county extension agent is a good place to start sometimes BUT be aware that using a gray water system and such is Illegal (no fooling! LOL) in many states and/or areas. I have gotten away with it before because I simply refered to it as 'aquatic gardening' and did not mention nor make it obvious where the water was coming from other than the roof.

Hope this helps some. ENJOY!! DD

• dzen
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks much for the information. I should probably be a little more specific. My potential site is fairly small scale, a typical suburban backyard so the storage pond would be on that scale, like a good-sized water garden with an impermeable liner. Not sure if the pond can have enough effective storage to be practical. Maybe a two stage pond with a smaller always-full water garden above a larger pond primarily for storage. Thanks again.

• gardenlen
    21 years ago

from my experiences i wouldn't suggest anyone store grey water at all, it goes very smelly and no doubt the bacteria level will be increasing, best used fresh. also don't reckon fish would live in grey water even if it is thinned with fresh water.

might be best to think of a tank for the grey water so it is confined and covered but use the material continualy. about the only way you could consider using grey water your way would be to run it through a reed bed filtering sytem first that could make it safe for fish. an open grey water pond is also likely to kill a lot of frogs and toads when they go to swim in it.

my thoughts

len

mail len

lens garden page

• polly_il
    21 years ago

dzen, have you read Gaia's Garden by Toby Hemenway? In the chapter on "Catching, Conserving and Using Water" there is a very nice set up for grey water/rainwater. It uses a marsh of bog plants and ornamental grasses to filter the grey water; which then trickles into series of three tiny ponds, where it is joined by rainwater from the house guttering. The water finally drains into a deep 10 x 10 fish pond; any overflow going out into swales. I want one!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH