Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical Swales

Posted by Cdub44 none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 5, 14 at 18:45

Hello,

Anyone in the humid tropics ?
Making a move to some steep-ish land in Panama and wondering if swales/terraces might catch TOO much water during eh rainy season and lead to slumping.... I'm told it's hard to fathom the amount of rain that falls without experiencing it firsthand and equally hard to fathom how dry it gets 5months later ! Looking for ways sustain humid soils through the dry season... Thanks !

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical Swales

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 22:52

Go crazy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farming like the Inca

o

My property here in Tuscany is on a very steep slope. I just recently discovered the whole concept of swales, and am anxious to build a few small ones in my garden to improve soil,etc. (I have no running water in this large rose garden).But I am a little confused about the need for using a level: since my slope is already so steep and irregular, can I get away with just creating terraces ,"eyeballing it", as it were? The area in discussion is one that I am obliged to fatten up by bringing in soil and organic matter,so it's not like I'm going to be digging on a flat, hard surface; I will be obliged to bring in the soil to create the berms.Frankly it seems a bit like using a precision instument to measure how much soap one needs to take a shower,lol...any comments to help? thanks, bart

o

• Posted by nil13 z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Wa (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 4, 14 at 14:18

No matter what, you are going to end up using a level because at some point you will put water in the swale and you will make adjustments based on that. That said, I don't recommend eyeballing it. Get it right the first time. There are many simple ways to find level or precise slopes. Once you know how to use them, you have the power to really control drainage on your property. I think this is even more critical on steep slopes because the margin of error on steep slopes is so much smaller.

How steep is this slope we are talking about? 1 horizontal : 1 vertical (100% slope) is about the maximum stable slope most soils will hold.

o

Thank you so much, nil13, for your clear and sensible reply. Sadly, I don't know how to measure and express in words the nature of the slope in question; Googling "angles",I'd say it's around a 33 degree angle...does that say anything? bart

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here