Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mamalinda_gw

What's the best way to fill in a space?

mamalinda
19 years ago

Hi everyone, when we moved into our house last year, the entire back yard was concrete. So we tore it all up and sent it next door for our neighbor to make a patio.

Now we'd like to make a garden/play space, but the current soil level is about 3-4 inches (the thickness of the concrete we removed)lower than the level of the remaining concrete -- we left a strip along the back of the house, and also a small strip at the back of the yard for the rolling gate to roll on.

And so now I'm trying to figure out the best way to bring the soil level up to the level of the remaining concrete and the house. The space is only about 22' x 28'(approx. 615 square feet). I'd love to find something more sustainable than bringing in a truck load of "topsoil" from the local home n' garden center.

Also, do I need to disturb / till / dig the existing soil that has been underneath concrete for the last 50 years before I put something else on top of it?

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks, linda

Comments (5)

• bigeasyjock
    19 years ago

If the soil under the concrete was compacted prior to pouring, which I sure it must have been, then for sure breakup the hard pan.
    I don't think trucking in that first layer of soil is such a bad idea. Use the best mix of sand and composted organics you can find as the base. At that point you will have a blank slate to plant your slice of fruiting and flowering Heaven :-)Remember to plant a variety of Nitrogen fixers and the compost plants to help bring along the fruiting plants.
    Mike

• locust
    19 years ago

Yes, I would till the soil, as deep as you possibly can. There's no soil structure or mycelial network to break up if it's been under concrete.

If you can afford to bring in lots of compost and topsoil, I would do that. Another option is to do extensive sheet mulching which essentially makes soil. You can use cardboard, newspaper, coffee grounds (which are "green" in the compost mix), food scraps, grass clippings, leaves, straw, . . . I would also innoculate everything with mycelium if possible and plant a diversity of things including nitrogen fixers, biomass producers, and things with deep or penetrating roots. (to start.)

• Eric_in_Japan
    19 years ago

Congratulations on the new house! What is the soil? Sandy? Clay? Loam?

If you can find a local source (A neighbor who is digging out a space for a concrete patio) for soil that is best I think. Any construction in the area? If there is, you may be able to choose sand, clay subsoil, or topsoil from nearby excavations to make your own ideal blend. (I like a 50:20:30 sand, clay, silt myself)

You mentioned a garden/play-space, what kind of traffic are you envisioning? I would hate to till the whole thing a foot down (preferably two) and have it packed back down by the kids and their friends. If you just want a lawn and some vegetable garden, you scarcely need to till at all. Scratch in grass seeds and only double dig where the vegetables will go.

I definitely like the idea of sheetmulching, and the deep-rooted perenials are of course a good idea. How picky/close are your neighbors? Sunnhemp- wonderful biomass for composting and tremendous roots, will break up hardpan, but HUGE, alfalfa, and red clover are nice, but will look a bit shaggy. (although the flowers are beautiful)

Sorry for the disorganized, rambling post.
    Eric in Japan

Here is a link that might be useful: sunnhemp

• Belgianpup
    19 years ago

The one place that I wouldn't use sheet mulch is right outside the back door, if you have toddlers, unless you can fence it off.

Sue

• Raymondo
    19 years ago

I had a somewhat similar situation several years ago. The biggest problem I had, apart from compaction, was that the concrete had made the soil quite alkaline. It didn't even occur to me to check for about a year, a very frustrating year garden-wise. I'd been dumping loads of organic matter on it, which would have eventually reduced the pH, but when I realised just how alkaline it was (pH 8 to 9), I added a whole load of sulphate. Things improved dramatically after that.

Sponsored