Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water problem: excessive drainage

Posted by HerrGothic none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 1:47

I have an interesting water use problem. The ground in my area excessively drains, i.e. very gravelly. Standing water is impossible, especially combined with the long hot dry summers.

My site currently hosts mostly pine trees and a few other interesting native plants. I would like to step up the water storage capability and am looking for ideas.

My plans so far include:
Hugelkulture in a few areas
A pond (lined of course) fed by the house downspouts
Heavy mulching and heavily increase the organic matter in the soil
Swales where I can

Has anyone else been presented with these problems? How did you solve them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water problem: excessive drainage

g'day gothic,

your ideas sound fine to me, nothing like keeping adding that organic material in, raised beds will still be best over time, use lots of mulch and maybe even hugelkultur under the beds.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

o

OK, I managed to secure about 25 yards of wood chips. What do you think of using masses of wood chips in the hugelkulture?

Klaus

o

g'day klause,

yes the wood chip would be good in hk, but maybe outside the box you could lay it in long rows oh! i dunno 1/2 meter high and wide along the contours to act as swales and in time it will rot down bolstering your soil.

could do the same with bales of spoilt hay material (greens) or straw (browns), be less labour intensive than diging a trench swale that has to be all but perfectly horizontal.

the raised beds won't miss not having hk over time

did you check our bale garden presentation?

if you plant trees along where the swales might go and mulch around the trees and between them in rows then you get 2 birds with the one stone hey?

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens straw bale garden

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here