Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preventing green wood from cracking

Posted by icyboyedy Z8 CA sunset11 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 14, 05 at 3:39

I have a lot of thick tree branches that I pruned off my apricot tree which I would like to make into tool handles. I noticed that a lot of old branches from last year are cracked on the ends where they were cut. How can I prevent them from cracking?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preventing green wood from cracking

Wood turners use polyethylene glycol to keep big chunks of wood for turning from cracking. Try Woodworker's Supply or maybe even your local hardware store, if it's a good one.

o

If your branches are big enough, you can let them season and crack, and then shape tool handles out of the parts of the branch that didn't crack.

Do you think the cracking is coming from uneven drying? Do the old branches still have bark on them? Maybe if you remove the bark, it might not crack (key word, "Maybe") Then again, it may make the situation worse.

Eric in Japan

o

An old-fashioned method would be to dip the ends of the wood in bee's wax, and dry the wood out of the sunshine and not close to any "point-source" of heat (like a wood stove, furnace register, etc.) Wood's natural tendency is to dry from the ends, due to how wood cells are structured. Sealing the ends results in a gradual drying.

A long time ago, I dried a pile of 2-inch thick, "green" birch boards cut by a local small mill. I painted the ends with thick paint, piling the wood (with stickers between layers) in a shed for shade and good airflow. It worked well.

Joel

o

Thanks, guess I'm gonna have to wait til next year's prunings to try these techniques.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here