Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kroach001

Cover Crop or Something else???

kroach001
14 years ago

I'm just not sure what plant in an area and was hoping all the folks on here with more experience might be helpful and chime in with some ideas.

Here is the issue:

I have a large portion, about 2 acres of yard, full sun, that we are not using at all. I have as much garden as I can manage already and really can't utilize this additional space. Its very hard to keep up with mowing, even with a riding mower. It takes us 3 hours to cut our yard without cutting that extra section, so we end up skipping it because we run out of extra time to mow it. So, the weeds grow and it ends up getting unmanageable by summer's peak.

I was thinking maybe I could plant a cover crop, something that would smother out weeds, require little maintenance and look decent.I think a meadow full of tall grasses is actually pretty. But it would be great if I could plant something that I could get some sort of use out of. I was thinking I could plant oats and then use the hay portion to mulch my gardens, but my husband tells me it would be way, way too much work to cut off the oat heads and I'd end up with oats growing in the gardens.

So, for all you out there with all that great knowledge and experience, I was hoping for some suggestions. Anything edible, or useful in any way would be great, it just has to be low maintenance and something that will smother out weeds. And something that I could plant very soon that will cover the area over the summer at the very least which is when the weeds get crazy.

This is only my second year here at this property and I am learning as I go, but really am at a loss for what to do with this extra 2 acre area.

Thanks ahead of time for your wonderful suggestions!!!

Comments (7)

• ncdaydreams
    14 years ago

maybe an annual vetch. i would think that a perennial variety might creep into your lawn. obviously it would require tilling and planting each spring.

or if the spot is in a place that is out of the way, you could possibly lease the space to a market gardener and let them manage the 2 acres.

or maybe a few goats.

i also am involved in the slow process of erradicating all grass on our 2 acres as well. we can't keep up with the mowing either, espescially because we have only had a running push mower for the last two years. lawns are way too exhausting for what they're really worth.

• Belgianpup
    14 years ago

Well, I posted a long list of suggestions, and the dorks here must have deleted it.

Nothing is going to be maintenance-free. I have most of an acre that sounds like yours. When the weather warms up, I hope to sow buckwheat, and cover it with some old straw. Buckwheat is grows very fast and starts to flower in just a few weeks, and smothers most weeds. It is very brittle, so if you can knock it down (maybe dragging something like a 4x4 crosswise behind the mower?), it should stay down. Funds permitting, I would like to do a few rounds of buckwheat (sow, grow, knock down; sow, grow, knock down), each time sowing seed right into the stalks that are lying on the ground. I'm not going to plow or rototill or anything. Then I'll look for another cover crop that will do well here, and sow it into the buckwheat, maybe a perennial.

Things like some kinds of clover don't grow too tall, but they also don't grow very fast, and they don't compete with weeds very well. If you want to try something like clover later, you will need to grow something that will smother the weeds first, and get them under control.

Contact your local Cooperative Extension Agent/Master Gardener and see what they suggest for your area. Be sure to tell them that you are going organic, as they are a little heavy into commercial/chemical farmer assistance. But still, they can provide some good info. Find yours below -- just click on your state.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Coop Ext. System offices in U.S.

• kroach001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A picture might help even more... we didn't want something that looked out of place, and I'm afraid larger trees would. We are surrounded on 3 sides by cattle fields, and acreage of feed crops on the other side,. We never have seen deer over here with the easy pickens' over there... the deer would have to cross the large cattle fields to get to our relatively small gardens, so I guess its not worth their effort and they just hang out where the huge acreage of crops are. We have, however, seen quail here and I'd like to continue to try and attract them. No turkeys or anything like that since they won't cross the cattle fields either and then we have cattle fencing all around us too (deer could jump over, but no deer). I took this picture the first year we were here. A larger farm was subdivided and this area used to have cattle on it, so the first year it was mostly hay and the grasses they eat, but the second year, the weeds really starting taking over. Here is a picture of the area.

{{gwi:664079}}

Some smaller fruit trees would be good, fruit and nut bushes, would be good too... its just the time factor... but I guess I can't expect it to become wonderful all by itself!!! :) I'm going to look into that ground cover too.

Oh and to answer the question about where we are, we are in the valley of the Blue Ridge Mountains. We have free range chickens, but they don't go that far back on our property, but I mention that because I DONT want to attract fox or any predators that will kill our chickens. :)

• mbravebird
    14 years ago

It seems to me that cover cropping would be too much work if you've already got all the gardening that you can handle. If you don't want more livestock (also work!), you could just make the grassy area more pretty by adding native wildflowers, suited for competing against those grasses. You could do that by using seedballs for the wildflowers, and just throwing new seedballs out there every fall.

If you want food things, then I'd start by planting a tree guild -- maybe an apple tree guild? Comfrey, etc underneath. Then you can add more trees/guilds as your energy allows, and as they get established and start to care for themselves. Also, once you get shade in the meadow you have a much more varied habitat, and more options. If it were me, I'd plant it out into the meadow some, with a path mowed to it, so I'd visit the area more.

Looks great, by the way!

P.S. Prairie Moon has some great flower recommendations for competing against weeds.

• kroach001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

such GREAT ideas!!!!!! I like the idea of some smaller trees that won't grow too large... a shaded area with a path leading there.... I love to walk around the property checking everything out, so that would be inviting during the day! Hmmmm.... you really got my mind going now!!!! LOL... I think the husband just went to go hide the credit cards!!! lol. Time for a trip to Edible Landscaping (www.ediblelandscaping.com) - we are so lucky to have them locally, they do a lot of mail order too though, its a great place to get all kinds of wonderful edible landscaping plants/trees. Now, to go find those credit cards!!! lol... (kidding!) :)

• mbravebird
    14 years ago

If you're near edible landscaping, then you're near me! We go there too. Although I have to say, Waynesboro Garden Center has some good varieties of trees this year - they have pink ladies. (Drool drool drool) I was going to just plant a plum this year, but now, seeing the pink ladies, I think I'll make room for an apple and a plum. Yum!

I agree Edible Landscaping is wonderful, though. They know so much about the plants, and have amazing variety. I love their greenhouses, with the oranges and lemons...ahhhh.

• kroach001
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh wow... really? I haven't been to the Waynesboro Garden Center in a long time! The last time I was there, everything was overpriced and not great selection, but I'll check it out, its been many, many years since I've been there, so maybe things have changed! I actually live on the outskirts of Waynesboro, just before you get to Crimora, so its even closer than Edible Landscaping!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm