Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webpromo

Love some feedback on my residential forest garden plan

webpromo
14 years ago

I'm a first-time implementor of a forest garden.

Was about to buy lots of fruit and nut trees and realized I'd better get some input on my plan from more-experienced forest gardeners.

Here's my plan: http://webpromo.us/permaculture

I've also put my plan there for my sheet-mulch-based semi-permanent salad garden, but it's the other plan, for the entire 1 acre lot, for which I'd like some feedback.

Comments (3)

• ncdaydreams
    14 years ago

looks great. are you pretty much starting from scratch? the only things i might question would be: 1)having the walnut trees over your driveway. we have a black walnut near our shop and it prevents us from parking anything underneath it in the fall. also, as the squirrels start to knock nuts off the tree, you might have to deal with them laying in your driveway and getting crushed. 2) i would think that the willows might steal a good amount of groundwater from surrounding trees. are they in a wet location to begin with? 3) having fruit and nut trees so close to your shop, you might want to think about the possibility of fruit dropping on the roof

i like that you are keeping the fruit trees away from the house. keeps the bees at bay in the summer time. and also that you have underplantings for the walnut which can tolerate the growing conditions under that type of tree. seems like you have your work cut out for you. best of luck. i have similar plans for my 2 acres, but i have yet to actually draw up plans, instead, we just have been figuring things out as we go along.

• Belgianpup
    14 years ago

Good idea to plan before you plant!

I realize that you have some north/south sunlight issues, but those trees are going to shed a LOT of leaves all around your house, with the associated clean-up. It would be nice if you could place them where the leaves could drop to be self-mulching.

The trees will only be producing a crop about once a year, if that, so they generally need less attention. Your more-attention crops would be better nearer the house, if you could work out the sunlight issues. Just keep in mind that when the annual crops are actually growing, the sun is more or less overhead, so don't worry too much about how low the sun is in winter, early spring and late fall. High-maintenance crops (and chickens, etc) get more attention if they're near the house. And then there's the winter issue of tromping out through snow, ice and mud every day or so.

I'm not an expert on bees, but I really don't think they need their own yard -- that's probably wasting space that could be used better. Maybe putting them near the tree edges would be better? And I think you could scatter them around a bit, just tucking them in where they wouldn't form a barrier (as in a line).

Do you really need so many standard-sized fruit trees? They take up a lot of room on a residential lot, and it appears they would block the solar access to your home and and some of the surrounding vegetation.

There's no indication of how large your salad garden area is, but it looks like you're going to have to walk on some plants to harvest the others. Tempting, but not practical. Perhaps you could redesign it using keyhole walkways, thus having the most access with the most veggies?

By the way, it's usually easier to read a map if the N is on the top side. ;-)

Sue

• castingdirector
    13 years ago

Looks great. I agree with self-mulching design -- think years ahead -- will you or others want or be able to manage? Design for low labor.

Also, I suggest you include some useful bamboos. Edible and versatile, you will be glad that you did.

BTW, bird and bat houses? Might be nice.

Adequate rainwater harvesting? Perhaps you could calculate annual gallons or liters for your roofscape and let us know.

Good work.

CD