Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zengeos

Help planning my permaculture garden

zengeos
16 years ago

Hi all,

I want to do convert my yard into a permaculture garden (for lack of better terms)

Parts are already *traditional* gardens (bulb and perennials, and a traditional vegetable row garden. The existing gardens take up about 1/6 the space I want to use this year, using permaculture techniques.

I plan to grow a significant variety of herbs in herb spirals, several fruiting plants...strawberries, grapes, elderberries, raspberries, and perhaps a few fruit trees. In addition, I want to use companion planting techniques in growing a much broader selection of vegetables, as well as a number of wildflowers and native types of flowers.

I'm thinking spirals for the herbs...perhaps 3? and 2 spirals for strawberries, with 2 varieties...one in each spiral.

I was also thinking planting corn, squash, cucumbers, beans and peas using a 3 Sisters circle technique, with 20 or so circles.

Unfortunately, there is only snow to be seen for the most part, but here is my back yard, and the main area I'd like to convert to permaculture.

Here is a link that might be useful: back yard photos

Comments (2)

• Belgianpup
    16 years ago

Start at front and back doors, and work your way outward.

One of them is likely to be warmer than the other (S or W), so put your herbs there. Most herbs are of Mediterranean origin, warm and dry. Lettuces and other salad ingredients can take some shade, so put them close to the other door. A little further out, put your vegetables. The closer your garden is to the house, the more attention it will get. Your berries don't need quite so much attention, so they can go further out. Your fruit trees need even less attention, so you could put them just beyond your berries.

Borrow Bill Mollison's permaculture books from the library (if they don't have them, ask if you can get them through an interlibrary loan). They have a lot of drawings that you can adapt. (Just remember that his north is your south.)

Bill Mollison's books:
    Introduction to Permaculture
    Permaculture
    Permaculture Two
    Permaculture: A Designer's Manual

Also there is Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale Permaculture by Toby Hemenway and John Todd, which is aimed at us temperate climate gardeners.

Sue

• zengeos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions Sue.

I will probably place an herb spiral in front. I have foundation plantings and a flagstone style walkway in front and will likely place the spiral outside this existing area of plantings.

The back yard gardens will mostly be 25-30 feet behind the house as it's the North side of the house. I have an existing patio as well as an existing deck going out about 16 feet from the house, so my perm efforts will be further out. I've ordered and winter sown a large variety of herbs, many medicinal, as well as a large variety of vegetables, which I will be trying to grow in guilds with one another.

Right now I am leaning toward placing fruit trees further out, perhaps along the margins, with fruiting shrubs actually more along the perimeter of the garden in back, also, where the existing plantings of conifers are now...along the same line the existing arbor is placed.

Still, I am trying to stay away from the more linear/traditional row farming methods and look.

Mark-

Sponsored