Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants for a Rain Garden?

Posted by louky z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 12, 09 at 8:24

I'm steadily developing permaculture practices in my yard, in a older subdivision (1940's). I have completely converted my back yard to "practicality" (no grass left), and am gradually working more on my front yard, not wanting to freak the neighbors out too quickly, but with long term plans for having little or no grass there either. I have dug a rain garden of about 200 square feet and planted a cherry and a dwarf apple in it so far, and a, looking for suggestions for more permaculture or guild plants. Most of the knowledge or rain garden planting around here dictates using native plants, but I have a goal of using only edible plants, (either for me or the rabbist or chickens) in the rain garden. Does anyone have suggestions for perennials, that would form a loose guild, that are edible? Zone 6, mostly sunny.

Thanks, Ray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants for a Rain Garden?

Blueberries work great. I used them for every rain garden that I built. The great thing about the rg is that there are different areas to it that can accomodate almost anything you want to grow. If you think of the garden as a saucer than there is the lower area that will be very wet, and area a little higher up around the edge that will not be/stay as moist and the outer edge that will be fairly dry. So obviously the plants that can handle a lot of water go on the inside and those that need drier soils can be planted around the edges. I never did a totally edible rain garden but I'm interested in how it comes out.

o

It seems to me that there are few plants that WOULDN'T work well in a rain garden. The two most important things would be suitability for your climate, and placement in or around the basin.

Sue

o

Asparagus, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, rhubarb, and sorrel are all perennials I've had good luck with here in Michigan. This year I'm trying Cardoons. Don't forget herbs, both culinary (Sage, Thyme, Peppermint, Chives, Lemonbalm, Oregano, Chamomile, Lavender, etc.) and medicinal (Comfrey, Yarrow, Feverfew, Motherwort, etc.) My chickens LOVE Comfrey. Queenanne's Lace (wild carrot) is another plant you could easily grow for the chickens and rabbits. Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here