Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thetick_gw

Pretty Soil-Building Plants

TheTick
17 years ago

What soil-building plants are easily started in turfgrass and look acceptable to citizens?

In 2-3 years I will build a house on a 1/3 acre lot. In the meantime I want to stop mowing, build the soil for a future Permie Eden, and appease the city and a few vocal neighbors.

The lot is in Iowa City (zone 5) and is covered with turfgrass. I can declare the land a âÂÂnatural areaâ to get around the city weed ordinance and allow plants to grow higher than 14 inches. The city wants a list of plants and a maintenance plan; i.e. they want to be sure it will be âÂÂpresentableâ and not generate complaints as unmown lawns typically do.

The ideal plant(s) would be started from seed broadcasted straight into the turfgrass. This plant likely does not exist, but it demonstrates the level of effort I want to put into this project since half the land will eventually be chewed up during home construction and geothermal installation.

I plan to put in a wide vegetable, herb, and flower garden at the front of the lot to help screen the not-so-tidy area in back. The bounty from this garden will be shared with neighbors.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions.

Cheers!

-Fred

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County