Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rhubarb as a neighbor

Posted by lpinkmountain 5b/6a border PA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 05 at 12:23

I am in the process of landscaping my tiny yard, and I have a large spot available in front of a climbing rose. One option is rhubarb, but I'm wondering if rhubarb is too heavy a feeder to make a good neighbor for any plant. Another option I guess would be borage, but of course I like rhubarb to eat a lot more than borage! :-) Anyone else have any experience with growing rhubarb intensively? I guess another option would be chard, and I love chard. But I still like rhubarb the best! Anyway, if I don't do the rhubarb, I'm wondering if borage or chard are good friends to roses. Bugs sure love roses! I know rue and chives are good rose companions, but I don't like rue and I need something more dramatic than chives. Any other good rose companions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rhubarb as a neighbor

I would try it. Like a baby, if it needs feeding, feed it!

You know it is a herbaceous perennial, so it will be a "disappearing architecural element". :-)

And if it starts shading out other plants, you just eat it down.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here