Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sheep in the Orchard/on the Lawn

Posted by unkledon Central CA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 12:24

Does anyone have experience using sheep to mow the lawn? I didn't have to mow the lawn but once last year--just to trim up the rough spots. I've been experimenting--first staking my two ewes out on the lawn. That worked fine, but when they lambed, the two baby ewes ran free around the house and started eating roses and some other plants. Four is too much trouble to stake out, so I used electric netting, which worked well, but was a bit expensive for the area I need to fence. So, I used electric tape, but they have been busting through it. I will try to "train" them to the electric poly tape better first. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try using deer repellent spray. Since sheep are related to deer, if I spray the roses, they may be not so tasty--supposed to work for three weeks.

Then, in my orchards, theoretically if I spray the trees (most are semi-dwarf and so low that the sheep can eat the leaves) the sheep should leave the trees and berries alone and just eat the grass on the ground. That should work for the week or so that it will take to clean the grass and weeds out of the orchard.

I'll post when I have solutions to my question. If anyone has experience with this, I'd like to know.

Don

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sheep in the Orchard/on the Lawn

"I used electric netting, which worked well, but was a bit expensive for the area I need to fence."

You don't need to fence your entire 100 acres! ;-)

Use your netting to form a series of rotating pastures. That may also assist in getting the sheep to eat most of the weeds, rather than just picking out their favorites and letting the rest go to seed.

Are you familiar with Joel Salatin of Polyface Farms? Brilliant farmer!

Here is a link that might be useful: Polyface Farms

o
RE: Sheep in the Orchard/on the Lawn

I agree with belgianpup...and Polyface Farms. I use rotating pastures and it works great! I have Angora goats. But its the same concept.

Maybe only put your sheep in the orchard, during the time of year that the leaves are off the trees. So they eat just the grass...Unless they peel the bark off... Then definitely don't do that! good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here