Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tarkovsky2002

Need Frankia for inoculating Elaeagnus

tarkovsky2002
18 years ago

Hello, all.

I am trying to establish various Elaeagnus varieties on my property for purposes of soil improvement and their fruit.

There are no Elaeagnus species native to my area that I know of. I am assuming I need to introduce some Frankia bacteria in order to help the plants' N-fixing.

Problem is I can't find a single commercial source of Frankia on the Internet. Does anyone know where I can purchase some Frankia? Heck, I am willing to purchase soil from areas where an Elaeagnus variety is established if it comes down to it.

Thanks in advance for everyone's time and attention.

Comments (7)

• Belgianpup
    18 years ago

I bought some Elaeagnus in pots from a very knowledgeable food-plant nurseryman, and he didn't say a word about it. Your post here is the very first I've heard of Frankia. You might contact my nursery guy and ask.

What IS Frankia, anyway?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Burnt Ridge Nursery

• alexander3_gw
    18 years ago

I posted similar requests to the fruit and tree forums (as well as this forum), and no one was able to list a source. Some people said Frankia is so common that you don't need to worry, but I am a bit skeptical.

I ordered a bareroot Goumi from Raintree this spring, and it had plenty of visible nodules. I also got two bareroot Sea Buckthorn, and there were no visible nodules, but there were no fine roots to speak of on those. I will probably dig up a small section of roots on one of those in a couple years to see if nodules have formed.

Sue, Frankia is a bacteria that forms a symbiotic relationship with the roots of Elaeagnus, and fixes nitrogen. Elaeagnus can not fix nitrogen without Frankia.

Alex

• alexander3_gw
    18 years ago

I just checked, the thread I started is titled "inoculating N-fixing trees/shrubs", it's still on the first page of messages.

>Your post here is the very first I've heard of Frankia.

Sue, you actually participated in that previous thread. I guess you didn't see my response to your post there.

Alex

• Belgianpup
    18 years ago

Alex: you are PRESUMING to think that I remember everything I read and type! To do that, I would have to get rid of a lot of stuff that is stuck in my brain, like the theme songs to Gilligan's Island and the Beverly Hillbillies, plus a lot of other totally useless stuff. But you just can't hit DELETE, you know.

Anyway, I found that the Frankia (of which there only seems to be one species) is also closely associated with Alder trees. Here in the PNW, we've got a ton of alder.

And, since the Frankia bacteria creates nodules on the roots, I am going to decant my goumi, wash off the soil (into a container) and see if there are nodules on the roots.

And I still would swear that I've never heard of Frankia....

Sue

• tarkovsky2002
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, everybody, for your input. Here's an update...

I planted the Elaeagnus plants this past weekend. These included 9 autumn olives, 4 guomis, and 1 Elaeagnus x ebbingei. I had kept these plants in pots until I was ready to place them in the ground.

The autumn olives are very small (7") so it didn't surprise me when I saw no nodules on their roots.

However, much to my delight, 2 of the four goumi plants DID have nodules. I don't believe this could have come from the potting soil so they must have be some residual bacteria left on the roots (bought these from Burnt Ridge nursery, BTW).

I didn't remember to check the Elaeagnus x ebbingei for nodules.

Before I planted my plants, I did something I guess most individuals would think is strange... I noticed near my place of work that a neighboring office building had several established Elaeagnus x ebbingei shrubs near a walk way.

Trying not to look too suspicious, I was able to stick my hand below one of the shrub's soil and retrieve part of a root. And you guessed it, filled with nodules.

Upon discovering this, I filled a plastic bag with some soil from under the shrubs. I figured that it must have strains Frankia if the surrounding Elaeagnus x ebbingei roots have nodules.

When I planted this past weekend, I placed portions of the retrieved soil around my plant's roots. Hopefully, it will "take".

• Belgianpup
    18 years ago

First we start stealing seeds, then plants, now soil.

We're dangerous... we're dangerous....

Sue

• eden_on_earth
    18 years ago

Ahhh...the old soil swiping trick. I am a big fan of it. Besides innoculating your soil with the N-fixing bacteria, healthy soils are filled with mycorrhrizal fungi that further aide in the development of healthy plants. I am always on the lookout for healthy soils to innoculate my plants. Next time your going for a hike remember to bring some bags and a digging implement of some sort.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County