Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seraphima_gw

Spreading Permaculture?

seraphima
19 years ago

What do you do to spread Permaculture ideas, design, plantings, and practices?

Last year I got permission to use some recently disturbed land at the end of the parking lot where I work for a garden. I planted some chives, 3 currant bushes, and some comfrey. This year I have added a dozen raspberries, three big mint patches, a bed of land cress (resows itself)plus sowed seed of nasturtiums, monarda, feverfew, borage, dill,German chamomile, and some flowers for variety and camoflage. Also planted a 6' X 10' area with Jerusalem artichokes. (More to come later. Planting season just started last week here!)

I have been trading and giving away strawberry plants to many people.

On May 20, I will be presenting a program on Permaculture design principles and how I practice them to my garden club.

Also plan to take many perennial edibles to the Garden Club plant sale.

Lastly, we'll have our garden on the garden tour in August.

Looking forward to hearing what YOU do!

Comments (2)

• Eric_Burke
    19 years ago

I just tell people about what I am doing when they ask me. But only if they seem interested in it. I try to avoid preaching to people who could care less. Unfortunately, my wife falls nearer to the latter than the former. But she is good about it. She is good at faking it... interest in permaculture that is.

I have a sample polyculture (radishes, lettuce, fed with clover and vetch, and fertilized with worm castings) in a wick planter on the air conditioner outside my school. I get salads, radishes, and edamame from it, and share them with the students.

I keep a worm bin in my office, and the students like to poke around in it.

I keep some gardening books and magazines on the table in the waiting room as well.

That's about it.
    Eric in Japan

• gardenlen
    19 years ago

g'day seraphima,

i go along with eric i don't preach it to people either, i/we just go along doing our permaculture thing so to say, and when people show an interest in the subject matter then we show them some of what we are doing and how it works and helps us produce without a lot of work.

with pc people have got to want to change, they need to idenify their role in this changing planet, if that doesn't happen then they simply won't be told. from where i see things pc is losing on the world forum, there are still lots doing it but they are not sharing on the web like it was even up to a year or so ago (much in-fighting or politics if i may say). there is too much emphasis being put onto people having to pay hundres of dollars to do a course when all that is needed at best is that they buy a book on 'introduction to permaculture'.

i have responded in some of the posts in this forum where questions have been asked on different aspects of pc, that is how i can see that i can promote pc, and keep it in the keep it simple silly (KISS) catagory.

at present too much yuppyism has krept in and to be quiet open it turns people off.

len

mail len

lens garden page

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert