Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric_burke_gw

Constructing a Greywater Wetland

Eric_Burke
19 years ago

Hi all! Well, we are getting ready to start construction, and I need to get to work on our greywater wetland, so here goes. I am going to write my plan below, but if you have any ideas on how to do it better, or experiences to share, I really want to know about them!

We are going to measure (approx) our water useage now, and add about 20% to the final estimate (better safe than sorry, right?) That will give us the information to decide the width and length.

I will dig a gently meandering path 50cm, then put in a slight grade, about 2cm/meter.

I will line it with a 20mil liner

Add an infiltrator of a quite large diameter pipe (20cm) with 1cm holes in it on a bed of 2-3cm rocks, so it is 5 cm below the surface. Then cover the infiltrator and first meter of the wetland with more 2cm rocks, continuing to gravel as the middle segment, and finally a sharp sand for the last meter as it enters the one meter deep pond at the far end.

Then I will get a few wetland plants from areas near our home, being careful not to take too many, or rare or endangered plants, as well as a bit of swampy water to innoculate it. And of course, I will harvest some seeds to sprinkle on the surface.

There we have it. Now I have some questions:

1. concrete or 20mil plastic? Pros and cons?

2. the pond at the end, good idea?

3. only native wetland plants, or add some exotic?

4. maintainence- how often to check infiltrator?

5. should I topdress the length of the wetland with topsoil/compost?

6. would three thicknesses of 10mil liner equal the strength of a 30 mil liner?

Apologies for the long post. I look forward to hearing your opinions and ideas- from everyone, that includes you newbies as well!

Excited Eric in Japan

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living