Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plot_thickens

Permaculture Guild Site?

plot_thickens
12 years ago

I want to know about guilds. I especially want lists of what guilds have worked.

Does such a thing exist online? Gosh, I hope so.

Comments (7)

• Haname
    12 years ago

I have had a hard time finding lists of guilds but it's not so hard to find lists of companion plants. Just do a search on companion planting, or, if you have a specific crop or plant you want to build your guild around, search for companions for that.

• plot_thickens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, but companions aren't the same thing. Most companion plant pairings are based on crap science from the 50's that studied the interaction of plant extracts.

Example: carrots love tomatoes. Bah. Soil for tomatoes is rich and high in nutrients. In such rich soil, carrots are hairy and smaller than they could be. Bad pairing.

Guilds are about more than 'happy in the same pot'. They're accumulators, mulch providers, shade givers and weed smotherers, wind protectors and macro-nutrient providers, etc etc etc. That's what I want.

• gardenlen
    12 years ago

as far as i am aware guilds is just a fancy name for companion planting, i stop short of critising, it has never worked for me, but for those who get results i say go for it.

about all that works for me is the weeds that the bugs preffer and leave me vege's alone.

companion/guild planting not high on many p/ce's lists, but for me companion planting by another name is what it is.

check fukuoka farming info it might help a lot:

http://wwwDOTnaturalfarmingDOTorg

all welcome to visit our free site no subscription needed, just simply enjoy.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

• Belgianpup
    12 years ago

Guilds are so local that it's hard to make a definitive list. What works in Australia usually doesn't work in the PNW. What works in California may not work in Maine or Florida.

Plus, little work has been done in this area, generally speaking. You have to do your own research and compile your own lists, which is time-consuming. You and your next-door neighbor could compile six guilds for six different types of trees, and come up with totally different lists.

First, you have your central element, like a tree or shrub.
    * Then, your insectiary plants to attract pollinators.
    * Bio-accumulators draw up nutrients and minerals (if they're there).
    * Nitrogen fixers help feed the other elements.
    * Mulch and groundcovers shade the soil, help prevent compaction, and break down into nutrients.
    * Grass-suppressing plants like bulbs.

There are lots of each type of plants, but which ones grow where you are? Which ones are antagonistic toward other plants (black walnut, sunflowers)? Do you want perennials or self-seeding annuals?

Just like a plant grows, you have to find your central elements, then grow outward.

Sue

• zuni
    12 years ago

I have the same question. It seems to me that you need to start with a native or naturalized specie of tree for your area. Then start looking at what grows in their vicinity in the "wild"... again in your area. It comes down to doing your own field work, and as soon as I can get away from the garden, that is what I hope to do!

• Belgianpup
    12 years ago

Not only wild plants, but other plants that can serve the same function, but ones that would be more useful.

For instance, you're checking out a tree in the wild that is the same kind you have in your yard. You notice that poisonout nightshade (Atropa belladonna) plants are growing well under it (near the dripline). Nightshade is in the Solanaceae family, like tomatoes, potatoes and eggplants. Since you don't have much use for poisonous nightshade, could you replace it with one of the more useful members of the family?

Then do the same thing with the other plants you find near the tree. Determine what they are, under what kind of conditions they're growing (dry? damp? shady? part-shade? full sun? poor soil? rich soil?

Write everything down, and then find what plants are similar as to family, growing conditions, but try to find some that fit the guild needs AND some that would be useful to you.

People have been gardening for thousands of years, and people are still learning. Permaculture is relatively new, and there's a lot that still needs to be collected in the way of information.

Sue

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting