Return to the Permaculture Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
polycultures, brassicas, and crop rotation

Posted by lizabeulah 7 (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 08 at 11:41

Hi all,

I'm very new to permaculture (and pretty new to gardening in general). But we built some new beds this year, right outside our back door, to do our first, from-scratch, polycultural veggie garden. (We still have the fenced garden on the far end of our property where we're putting the low-maintenance/low-browse plants.) I used one of the polycultures that Toby Hemenway writes about in Gaia's Garden. Here's my question:

He includes brassicas in the polyculture and we're BIG on eating brassicas, so they're all over the place. But what do we do next year--do we still need to rotate them in a polyculture? Should I concentrate the brassicas in one area of the garden (it's pretty small, so it would be tough) so that I can rotate them next year?

Thanks!
Genevieve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: polycultures, brassicas, and crop rotation

You do the best you can with what you've got.

You might try mapping where you planted them this year, and if you can find other spots to place them next year, grow something else in the previous spots.

Increasing the health of the to the maximum is the best way to avoid pests and diseases. Healthy soils produce healthy plants that resist problems more easily. The longer you can go without pests or diseases in your plants, the longer you can replant in the same area.

And you might consider expanding in your "middle area", between the backdoor beds and the low-maintenance area. And don't forget your front yard, side yard, along the driveway, large pots on the patio or driveway, etc.

The longer you do it, the more easily you will be able to tell what will work and what won't.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Permaculture Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here