Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sahira_gw

Best book to get started on home-scale permaculture?

sahira
16 years ago

Hello, I am very interested in permaculture, but all the books are very expensive and my budget is limited, so my question is:

If I can buy only ONE book to get me started doing home-scale permaculture, what should it be? (And why is that one best?)

I am in Zone 7 in Virginia (USA). My current yard is a couple of acres in the country, but I could end up in a smaller urban or suburban lot sometime in the next couple of years, so I'd *prefer* something that could be used for either situation. Ultimately I'd like to use a combination of permaculture and other techniques (Square Foot Gardening, Four Season Harvest, etc.) to supply most of my family's veggies and fruits for much of the year. I am attracted to the self-sufficient homesteading ideal, but as this is my first year gardening at all, I'm trying not to be too over-ambitious. Better to grow *something* than get bogged down trying to grow *everything* and end up doing *nothing*!

Anyway, thanks for your time.

Comments (7)

• gardenlen
    16 years ago

g'day sahira,

on my permaculture essay page we have a free link to a free intro to permaculture course, full course details.

this maybe/shouldbe of some help to you and negate the need for any book buying. the best book would be "intro' to permaculture" by 'bill molleson and ?', there is a paper back version, hard cove copy very expensive.

anyhow have a look at that course if the link is dead or fails let me know and give me you e/m addy i can send it as an attachment it is a 150 page pdf file.

other than that what is it you want help with?

len

Here is a link that might be useful: len's garden page

• everythinggardens
    16 years ago

hands down: gaia's garden by toby hemenway

2nd: food not lawns by heather c. flores

web reading is free!

enjoy!

• muddyclogs
    16 years ago

I second Gaia's Garden. Absolute best overall guide for the urban gardener.

• tclynx
    16 years ago

Agreed, about it being better to grow something rather than everything and getting overwhelmed. I too am trying to learn as much as I can about sustainable suburban homesteading. Or as much as is reasonably possible for busy people with jobs.

• skagit_goat_man_
    16 years ago

I'll second len's choice of Molleson. There are Hart's books on "Forest Gardening". But the permaculture books are not about gardening; gardening is a part but not the goal. Molleson discusses permaculture as a design. You look at where you are, decide what you want to do and then choose the best where and how. Heights, sun orientation, and local wind conditions are critical factors in his book. The location and use of everything at your place, suburban to large ranch is set up in an integrated pattern. His ideas work everywhere. But it isn't a gardening book. It is a pricy book so check your library. Tom

• sharonsgarden
    16 years ago

I am also looking into books on permaculture. I saw an artlice in Organic Gardening a few years ago on a family that utilized permaculture. Unfortunately it didn't have any references on where to find information on this topic. This family incorporated a chicken coop into the design for their greenhouse for heat generation. The family also discussed the need for a wild area outside of your growing areas.

I was thinking of purchasing Gaia's Garden, but didn't know if it covered these types of topics. Also, I will be incorporating this into a few acres of property hopefully, if I can ever find the right property.

Thanks,
    Sharon

• nc_crn
    16 years ago

Gaia's Garden is perfect for most Americans.

Mollison's books are nice, but are really slanted in plant materials and other suggestions for the down-under parts of the world. After grasping subjects in other books, Mollison's books are a great follow-up because he's got a great mind for relationships and design. Holmgren's texts might be a bit easier to follow for most "westerners", though.

A good middle-ground book is Earth User's Guide to Permaculture by Rosemary Marreow.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner